Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Muzzleloader doe season in late Sept.

Bowhunt till after the 17th of November.

Rifle hunt for the next 8 days.

Rifle hunt again, second season in Mid December for 8 days.

Muzzleloader again in late December.

Bow hunt resumes till Jan 15th.

Bow hunting is open from Sept 15-Jan 15th, just use the available tags for the different stages of the season.

Rifle and Muzzleloader tags can be filled with deer harvested by bows.

Tags available.

1 buck by bow, 1 buck by any other method. Does limited by management area concerns only.

I think button bucks should count as a buck tag after the first tag is filled.

Yes, I have tagged a bb as an anterless deer due to my inability to judge said deer at over 100 yds.

·
Horny D
5,645 Posts
Those ain't bad regs at all, but like anything else, they can still be picked apart for whatever reason. I'm with 20', though-- you have the job til someone comes up with something better...:D:cheers:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[rquote=1492852&tid=104263&author=Scott_288]what the heck is the reason for two rifle seasons totaling 16 days!?!?!?!?![/rquote]

You need to give to get a concession.

Yep, a well is too deep of a subject for you to comprehend.

Rifles are needed in this state to manage our abundant herd.

I have upped the anti to 16 days versus a 10 season...but, it is completely after the rut.

The antlerless season is early, rather than late.

The bowhunters enjoy the ambiguity of the rut while the rifle hunters get to enjoy an active portion of the deer season. Do you really think that this years late harvest will be a thing of the past????

Gots to split up the seasons and move em back...

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Ya it would be cold in December at least??????:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Only change left to make is NO hunting with archery/rifle/muzzleloader from Nov. 12th through Thanksgiving to protect the rut.......then you'd have something worth considering!:cheers:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,028 Posts
So, what's your goals with changing the seasons from what they are? Do they benefit the majority of the hunters in the state, or cater to a select few groups?

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Personally I think the season's are fine the way they are. As long as I have late muzzleloader season and the first two weeks of November to bowhunt I am happy. Doe season doesn't effect me in my county.

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
[rquote=1493065&tid=104263&author=pinwheel]So, what's your goals with changing the seasons from what they are? Do they benefit the majority of the hunters in the state, or cater to a select few groups?[/rquote]

I think it is a happy medium, the bow hunters get more of the rut to hunt while still allowing the gun hunters more days to shoot a deer too. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
nope, you can't have by beloved rifle season. you bow hunters that think you are the elite of the goaters can just stay in the back seat.:D

·
Crossbow supporter
32,066 Posts
I'll take a shot on seasons and limits proposal.

Archery season Sept 15-January 15.
1 any deer, 1 antlerless (add extra bonuses like we have now)
2 turkeys either sex

Youth season weekend before halloween
Oct 23-24-25

Urban portion weekend before youth season
Oct 16-17-18

antlerless portion first weekend of October
Oct 2-3-4

Firearm season 1
Friday, Saturday, Sunday before Thanksgiving week
Nov 20-21-22

Firearm Season 2
Friday, Saturday, Sunday week after Thanksgiving weekend
December 4-5-6

Muzzleloader Season
Weekend before Christmas week
Weekend after christmas week
December 18-19-20
January 1-2-3

Limit 1 any deer firearm combined all seasons
Keep antlerless quotas on current schedule

6 days of rifle season
6 days of muzzleloader
3 days doe season
3 days youth season
3 days urban season

No need for two youth seasons, they can hunt any of the other seasons anyway on top of their seperate weekend.

21 days of firearm deer hunting is plenty IMO.

OR LEAVE IT THE WAY IT IS, IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT :stickfight:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,028 Posts
[rquote=1493074&tid=104263&author=letemgrow][rquote=1493065&tid=104263&author=pinwheel]So, what's your goals with changing the seasons from what they are? Do they benefit the majority of the hunters in the state, or cater to a select few groups?[/rquote]

I think it is a happy medium, the bow hunters get more of the rut to hunt while still allowing the gun hunters more days to shoot a deer too. :cheers:[/rquote]

From who's perspective?

If we're proposing changes, we're assuming what we have isn't working to the goals of someone. 2 questions. What's not working? Who's the proposed changes going to benefit?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Any change that takes the rifle portion out of the peak of the rut works for me!!!!! I like the way Illinois gun season is set up. Three days, the weekend before Thanksgiving, catching the tail end of the rut. Then another 4 days in early December.

However, I don't think that you'll ever see any drastic changes made the our gun season. The gun hunters would revolt!!

I love the 2 changes made by the MDC this season. The late muzzleloader season and the Jan youth season.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
what's wrong, the ittle bow hunters can't kill a deer unless it is rut crazed and stupid. i would think early season patterning is what a bow hunter would want. be able to guess where they will be and how they will get there and lay in wait.:confused:

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I think that in order to get a majority of rifle hunters on board you would have to keep opening weekend the same and then close it until early December for another 3-4 day season.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
[rquote=1493132&tid=104263&author=winger]what's wrong, the ittle bow hunters can't kill a deer unless it is rut crazed and stupid. i would think early season patterning is what a bow hunter would want. be able to guess where they will be and how they will get there and lay in wait.:confused:[/rquote]

i cant hardly kill one to save my life during the rut. but early and late season patterning. . . . me likey :banana-man-yeah:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
if they would open the season sept 1st, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnow we're talkin. and unlimited doe tags. i'd hunt the first month the season and then sit back and watch the madness unfold and not have a care in the world

1 - 20 of 85 Posts