Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have locked up 3 somehow, I have no idea what is going on, but can't delete the pics or format them and they keep the same pics on them, what am I doing wrong? Thanks

·
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For Shure, I should clarify, they are not on the lock mode, but basically unusable and froze I guess, I don't know if I got one camera that is just torching them or what.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I believe the write protect switch doesn't do anything on the card, but instead opens or closes a switch in the reader to turn read only mode on (or not). If it's a micro SD, which doesn't have a write protect switch, or a SD card with the write protect switch in the unlocked position, and you've tried multiple readers with the same result, odds are the cards write endurance has been used up and it's now permanently read only. I've had a few cards do that in high write applications.

·
Under appreciated
90,262 Posts
I think I gave 6 or 9 bucks for an SD32 from Wally World when I needed them in a pinch. They are crazy cheap now.

What kind of reader are you using?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Man that sucks two were brand new 32gb
Check on the warranty... Depending on the manufacturer and warranty, they may send to new cards if they're dead. I wouldn't think a trail cam would be considered a 'high write' application, unlike a dashcam or raspberry pi (which is where my failures came from), so if the card has a lifetime warranty like SanDisk cards.... I'm not really sure of a way to test them, but if the switch is not in the write protect position, and other cards work properly in the reader, and/or you tried the suspect card(s) in other readers with the same results, I can't see it being anything other than the card(s) gone bad.

·
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes they are cheap but these were the SanDisk and I check my cards on my hp labtop, I run alot of cameras and two different brands Bushnell and covert, but always hang cams near or on the way to stands so after dark I can swap cards and format them and good to go, but on these the format wouldn't work and still would show like 680/12000 or similar instead of going to 0/12000 like normal, I know the cards are cheap but when u have just the one with ya and u want to swap cards and know it won't work sucks.

·
13,963 Posts
Have you tried down loading, clearing pictures on another device?
Friend had that issue one day. put the card into something else and it read them fine and it worked fine after that...

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have cards for whatever reason that I cannot delete on my laptop sometimes but
I can put them in the trailcam, hit the mode button, go to delete files, hit enter, switch to yes, hit enter and it deletes all the pics and usually works in the laptop the next time.

Probably worth a try. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
32,513 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts