Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Scopes for .22s

617 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  mdewitt71 
#1 ·
I was reading the other post about the 10/22 and Remington 597, and someone mentioned he did not have the right scope on one of his guns for a .22.

Anyway, I just bought a Marlin 795 .22 and mounted a 3-9x40 Simmons on it. The scope originally came on a Savage 110 30-06 so I just bought .22 mounts for it. Is there anything wrong with that?

#2 ·
The Simmons is designed for use ona large cal rifle. If you are young enough you might get away with useing it on a 22, but if old like me it will make ya bug-eyed.

Several scope makers market scopes designed for the 22 cal rifles. If ya try one you will most likely like it.

#3 ·
I would say unless you have a very high quality .22 caliber rifle that has a bull target type barrel with a nice crisp trigger your higher priced and higher quality scopes will not improve your shot groups on your basic over the counter plinker .22 caliber rifle.

I put a $400 Leupold scope on my Remington Fieldmaster 572 and it shot just the same as my $75 Burris.

#5 ·
what the deal is on 22 scopes is that if it is a non AO model it has it's Paralex adjusted for the closer range that you would be shooting a 22 at such as 25 yrds or 50 yrds. if you keep your eye centered on the scope it wont matter anyway. and if all you're doing is informal plinking i would not worry about it. you will probably notice though that at say 25 yrds or so if you crank the scope up to 9x the target will look a tad fuzzy because the centerfire scope is set up for 100 or 150 yrds focus.

#8 ·
The old 5/8" tube .22 scopes don't even make good pry bars. Any decent 1" tube scope should work well. The parallax settings on most 1" scopes is 100 yards while those designed for .22s will be set less. In reality, it shouldn't make any difference if the scope is worth spit. A 2x7 Nikon ProStaff is set for 75 yards (I believe) and should make a nice .22 scope. The fixed 4X choice isn't bad either.

On a .22, a lot depends upon how the barrel is mounted to the action. If it is a rigid coupling, a scope will probably help accuracy - if not... use the irons. That's assuming the scope mounts on the action. A particular Nylon 66 comes to mind - it shot fine with the irons but a scope turned it into a scattergun.

#10 ·
Yep, the scope I put on that 597 was a cheap Simmons. It is a 100 yd scope, and the parallax isn't right for the 22 - or it is just a broken scope. The iron sights are accurate so I know the gun is good.

What I found is that I should not put a large calibre scope on a .22 :)

#11 ·
I got the gun out today and looked at several objects between 15 to 50 or so yards away and only experienced parallax when I turned the magnification up at the closer distances. I only intend on using the gun for the occasional **** hunt and shooting around on the farm so I'm gunna sight it in on Friday and if that goes well I'll probably stick with it. Between a new gun, new boots, and some other miscellanious stuff, I've been spending enough on hunting toys the last two weeks.

#12 ·
I bought a BSA Sweet 22 scope it was under $50 on sale and features 3 elevation drums (supposidly) to match the bullet trajectory for 36, 38 and 40 grain bullets.

It is very clear and bright, just have not tried shooting it yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.