scope problems

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by keithk, Jun 4, 2009.

1. keithk

keithk Member

Feb 11, 2004
    ****UPDATE****

Got a new base yesterday, got it on today, right away I put my other scope from my other .22 on, was shooting the same at 25 and 35 yards. :) OK, so I put my other scope back on with the second set of rings (Weaver), shoots the was it was in my OP. Get the original rings that came with the scope, shoot it, same as it was shooting in the OP. So now I guess I have confirmed it was the scope after all. I called BPS, since it's been a year since I bought the scope, they told me to call Simmons. Guess I'll see what they say Monday. :shrug:

I'm not for sure how to proceed. :confused: Gun is a Ruger 10/22. I bought a Simmons 22 mag series scope a year ago, had it sighted in at about 25 yards. One thing I noticed when originally sighting it in, I had to move the windage and elevation turrets A LOT, I mean like 50-100 clicks (maybe even more) one way or the other (don't remember which way). Once I finally got it sighted in, I stepped back 10 more yards and shot, it was off by several inches. I thought it could be the rings cause they were factory and what I call a medium height base. I bought some weaver rings (low profile) and figured it would be better. I got around to sighting it in tonight, couldn't even hit the paper, so I got a REALLY big sheet out. Finally got it on the paper. First time around was 23 yards or so. I wondered what it would do if I step back to 35, even further off. (see attachment). :thinking: I step right up to it and shot, couple inches off. I'm starting to wonder if I have a defective scope… What do you think? Yeah I can go ahead and sight it in, but I don't want to waste my time and I really think it's the scope. Trying to get suggestions.

Oh, I can rule out the ammo, I sighted in my other .22, got it right on. But dang it, when I got it back in the house, I noticed I didn't put the cap back on the windage turret, screwed it on, but got it too tight and I heard the turrent clicking……. Got to sight it back in at a later date :mad2:

[file]59657[/file]

2. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Ever had a scope on that gun before? If so, did it sight in with no trouble? Makes me think the holes in the receiver for the base are out of line with the bore.

3. keithk

keithk Member

Feb 11, 2004
    No, it was a new gun. Taking notes.

4. Underclocked

Underclocked New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Greenfield, MO. USA
    MOGC could well be right. Is the base such that you could remove it an flip it around... might help? If your scope is max'd out on adjustment to any extreme, it will very likely not perform well but I don't think that is the problem.

Since it's a Ruger, I would also check to see if the barrel retainer is completely tightened.

5. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Christian County
    As far as having to move it a lot of clicks, keep in mind that at 25 yds you will have to go 16 clicks per inch if the adjustments are 1/4" per click at 100 yds. I would also not advise sighting in at 25 yards because you will shoot high at 35-45 yds due to the bullet path actually pointing upward to meet the crosshairs at 25 yds. 50 yds works much better for .22's. As far as being off to the side, I'm with the other guys on it possibly being the base.
    If you have a bolt action rifle, I would mount that scope in it and pull out the bolt and bore sight it. If you can't rest it on sandbags and look through the bore at something like the end of a fence post at 50 yds and get the scope adjusted to the same point of aim, chances are something is wrong with the scope. One thing to remember when bore sighting is move your clicks the opposite way you would when adjusting for bullet impact on paper.
    Hope you get it figured out!

6. keithk

keithk Member

Feb 11, 2004
    If the are out of line with the bore, how do I find this out for sure? I can remove the base and flip it around, but I think the holes in the base only line up one way. I'll have to check though.

[rquote=1287590&tid=90043&author=MOGC]Ever had a scope on that gun before? If so, did it sight in with no trouble? Makes me think the holes in the receiver for the base are out of line with the bore. [/rquote]

7. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    burris signature zee rings with the plastic offset inserts will solve your alignment issues. start fresh and opticaly center your scope then use the offset inserts to get your POI (point of impact) close to were you're aiming then finish up with the scope adjustments. you then will have lots of internal adjustment left in your scope and your optics will be opticaly centered and deliver you better overall performance.
    if you go over to rimfirecentral and poke around they cover the 10/22 and some of it's issues pretty good. there are a few rifles that sneak out with either or both misaligned screw holes as mentioned earlier above and some receivers have a bit if a hump on the top that causes issues as well. they have lots of tips on both issues if you poke arround and if need be ask.

8. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

In the past I have also made shims out of aluminum soda cans.

9. 10pointer

10pointer Senior Member

Nov 10, 2003
    St.Charles CO
    sounds like it needs shims for sure....but also make sure the bases and rings are on correctly. If you are near st.charles next week i can get it all figured out for you. The base ruger gives with the 10/22 is pretty easy to screw up when putting on the rings because of the tiny lip the rings attach to (at least on alot of 10/22's ive seen)

stepping back at that range will make it further off at those distances. Get it dead nuts bullseye and go from there but the trajectory of the bullet will make it high/low at different distances etc.

10. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    All good points so far,check to see if the scope rings are straight with eachother if so, I would back both turrets out (carefully)until they stop, put a dot on a piece of paper, get a bore site and line up the scope with the bore then return to the range and lock the rifle into a bench rest, place a target at 50 yard make sure you are aimed at the center and fire recenter the rifle on the target and without moving the rifle put the cross hairs on the hole you made in the target, line the rifle up with the center of the target and fire again the rifle should be dead on at 50yds. keep us informed.

11. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    never discount the fact that you could also have a scope problem. if you have access to one, try another scope to see if you get similar results.

12. keithk

keithk Member

Feb 11, 2004
    The base is on correctly, it can only go on one way.

From looking at the manual, in order to check the barrel retainer, I have to remove the barrel and receiver from the stock, correct?

I am thinking about taking the scope off my other .22 and just putting it on to see if I have the same problem. This could eliminate the scope right away. If I still have the same problem, then it's got to be something with how the base is screwed on the receiver.

[rquote=1287630&tid=90043&author=Underclocked]MOGC could well be right. Is the base such that you could remove it an flip it around... might help? If your scope is max'd out on adjustment to any extreme, it will very likely not perform well but I don't think that is the problem.

Since it's a Ruger, I would also check to see if the barrel retainer is completely tightened. [/rquote]

13. keithk

keithk Member

Feb 11, 2004
    tried to put my other scope on tonight, won't go. :mad2::mad2::mad2: The rings are a touch too small to go on the base of the 10/22. Cheap tasco 2-7 scope from Wally World.

[rquote=1289065&tid=90043&author=keithk]The base is on correctly, it can only go on one way.

From looking at the manual, in order to check the barrel retainer, I have to remove the barrel and receiver from the stock, correct?

I am thinking about taking the scope off my other .22 and just putting it on to see if I have the same problem. This could eliminate the scope right away. If I still have the same problem, then it's got to be something with how the base is screwed on the receiver.

[rquote=1287630&tid=90043&author=Underclocked]MOGC could well be right. Is the base such that you could remove it an flip it around... might help? If your scope is max'd out on adjustment to any extreme, it will very likely not perform well but I don't think that is the problem.

Since it's a Ruger, I would also check to see if the barrel retainer is completely tightened. [/rquote][/rquote]

14. keithk

keithk Member

Feb 11, 2004
    post updated...

15. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    [rquote=1287585&tid=90043&author=keithk]****UPDATE****

So now I guess I have confirmed it was the scope after all. I called BPS, since it's been a year since I bought the scope, they told me to call Simmons. Guess I'll see what they say Monday. :shrug:
    [/rquote]

well it might not be good but there is hope. simmons has been bought and sold more than some harlet from the street corner. IF you have your original receipt showing the purchase (as a combo if the scope came with the gun) they will/should waranty it. if not then, don't hold your breath.

16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    You roll the dice on those Simmons Scopes anymore. Some are really good ones and some are....well...not so good.

I bought one years ago for my Ruger 44 mag and found out the lens had been put in the wrong ends. It made the target/game smaller when you looked through it.

Good Luck Monday...:praying:

17. keithk

keithk Member

Feb 11, 2004
    I've got a simmons 3-10x44 mag scope on my 308, love it! I didn't want to sink alot of money into a new scope for my 10/22, Since I liked the 44 mag series, my younger bro has a 22 mag series on his .22 and liked it, so I thought I get one too.

I did finally find my receipt, bought it in May of last year. Wish I could find the receipt for my rings, them suckers were $25.