Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Without a doubt, the Burris FFII. Etched reticle, good BDC. I have four and have used them a lot. Have made quite a few 4-500+ yard kills with them. Never had a problem with any of them. I have relegated them to my rimfires and smaller centerfires now and gone with more expensive glass, but often wonder why.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
You need to check out Riteon optics. Veteran owned and American made. I've got two of em now, and they are outstanding.
Which Riton is made in USA? The ones i looked at were Chinese. Their top tier X7 line is made in Japan IIRC at Japan Optics. The X1, X3 and X5 line are all made at Sam Electrical in China.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I will look at both of these. $400 is still not crazy I just don't want to spend $800 on a scope right now.
The absolute best you will find in that price range is a Sightron S-TAC. The 3-16x42 is about $390. The 4-20x50 is $410. Both in duplex but you might find a MOA-3 reticle close to that price too. You simply wont find a tougher scope with better turrets at that price. I would put it up against a VX3i any day of the week in terms of durability and turrets. The windage turret though does stick out pretty far.

If you can squeak upto $450 the Razor HD LH 2-10x40 currently on clearance has great glass for the price but its not quite what i would call a long range scope.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Here is another really good deal on a quality scope if you can live with a 2-10x42. Its about $200-$250 cheaper than you will find anywhere.

·
1,358 Posts
Made in China
So are the Diamondbacks you have posted a few times. It's difficult to find something not made in China for sub $300 prices these days.

Hell, Vortex Razor spotting scopes are made in China. Still one of the best rated spotters out there.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
So are the Diamondbacks you have posted a few times. It's difficult to find something not made in China for sub $300 prices these days.

Hell, Vortex Razor spotting scopes are made in China. Still one of the best rated spotters out there.
Nope, the Diamondback HP i posted is made in the Philippines. I got one and im 100% sure. There are plenty of sub $300 Burris available that are made there too. Just not the FF IV or Sig HDs.

Like this one

·
1,358 Posts
Nope, the Diamondback HP i posted is made in the Philippines. I got one and im 100% sure. There are plenty of sub $300 Burris available that are made there too. Just not the FF IV or Sig HDs.

Like this one
I'll trust you since you've got it in your hands. When I bought my Razor Spotting scope and saw the sticker I actually called them to confirm I had not gotten a knock off. They told me China it was. I do have a few Vortex Scopes out of the Philippines as well.

I've got a couple very old Tasco scopes when they changed over to Chinese manufacturing. I also have a couple Japanese Tascos. It is difficult to determine the difference. The glass is very good in both and the adjustment is very smooth on both. I'm sure a lot comes down to tight QAQC in the facilities.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
For the money lots of guys in the know are currently singing the praises of Burris FFII. Call Doug at Camera Land and listen carefully to his advice.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The DB HPs are made in the same factory as most Vipers. Some are made at the Scopro plant and ive heard the PST Gen IIs are made at the Kenko plant. That cheap Burris i posted comes from the same plant as the Veracity. The good Tascos from many years ago were made at Light Optical Works and later at Kenko in Japan. SWFA SS scopes are the military contract scope originaly sold by Tasco. Currenty made by Kenko. LOW is one of the best Asia optics there is. They even make the Zeiss V4 series. My Razor HD is made at LOW too. Same LOW plant made all the Bushnell Elites and Tac Ops scopes.

Kenko owns Sightron and the Japanese made SIII line is excellent for the money. One of the best sub $1000 scopes you can get.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
i don't believe the Japan Tasco scopes were made at the LOW plant, as i recall they were made by Hakko. Hakko has gone bankrupt back in the late 90's and was reopened by someone else after that. I'm talking the early 90's tasco scopes.

·
Registered
31,423 Posts
why do you consider the 30mm tubes a disadvantage other than the rings are not as common but they are out there.
They are a bigger, heavier, and more expensive. The only advantage is more adjustment. For a big game rifle inside 400 yards I have never needed the additional adjustment potential.
Maybe they are stronger but it is hard to imagine a scenario where a 1" VX3 is broken but a 30mm is unscathed. Possible, but seems kind of rare to me.
Of course that is just my opinion but there is a reason there are so many options available, not everyone agrees on what is "best".

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
While i have never owned a 30mm model as i just have not had the need for that much adjustment, i never looked at them as a disadvantage for the reasons you stated. interesting view point.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
i don't believe the Japan Tasco scopes were made at the LOW plant, as i recall they were made by Hakko. Hakko has gone bankrupt back in the late 90's and was reopened by someone else after that. I'm talking the early 90's tasco scopes.
SWFA bought the rights to the Tasco military contract scopes. Im certain some have been made at Kenko because ive seen the inspection sticker from Kenko and pretty certain the HD models are from LOW. Back in the mid 90s is when SWFA acquired the rights to those scopes. Just like Tasco, SWFA has/had scopes made at different plants depending on the model. Side focus vs AO may even come out of different plants. They still make both 10x42 versions today and the side focus model is $100 more just like when SWFA sold the over runs.

The first sales from SWFA were over runs of old stock made under the Tasco contract. Around 1996 SWFA made some changes and started having them made. Hakko never made any of the Super Snipers according to Chris at SWFA.

Tasco Japanese scopes made for the consumers i have no idea but like i said they vary by version. Its just as common today as back then. Unless you are lucky enough to find one with an inspection sticker still on in there is no way to be certain.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
They are a bigger, heavier, and more expensive. The only advantage is more adjustment. For a big game rifle inside 400 yards I have never needed the additional adjustment potential.
Maybe they are stronger but it is hard to imagine a scenario where a 1" VX3 is broken but a 30mm is unscathed. Possible, but seems kind of rare to me.
Of course that is just my opinion but there is a reason there are so many options available, not everyone agrees on what is "best".
Ring selection today is better if you go with 30mm. Im talking mostly mid to upper end rings. Several of the better manufactures like Seekins offer nothing or very little in 1". So you may be stuck with a limited selection of heights that are offered. It does add some weight but a S-TAC 4-20x40 is still only about 24oz. Not all that bad for that kinda scope. A VX 5HD can be had for under 20oz in a 3-15x44 and a Viper HS is slightly less. So yeah you can get a 30mm that is close to a 1" in weight if you shop around but many are really heavy.

If i was looking a Leupolds today i would see what reviews are saying about the new VX 3HD. Pretty sure they are being offered in 1" and 30mm. It appears you could shave a few more ounces off and get better glass than the VX3i offered.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
HAKKO was the mfr for a lot of the Tasco scopes back in the day. Never said they made the SS scopes. Hakko also produced some of the early japan made Simons scopes back from the Presidentail series. Hakko folded up but since then has been reopened by new owners and that was about 10 yrs ago. don't know about now.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Bushnell Tac Ops 6-24x50

About the same weight as a similar Nitro only about $15 more. Very similar to the Tactical Elite version. Argon purged vs nitrogen. I may pick one of these up just because its a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts

this will do whatever you need it to and then some for your price of 300.00
very nice deal there.

btw, the suggestion earlier on Sightron scopes should be looked into. They track extremely well.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
I just bought a cheap sightron scope and I was really surprised with the glass for the money. More than good enough for an old .22 I have.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Yeah, i just picked up a Sightron 3-16x42 and its quite nice. A tad over priced atm compared to sales ive seen but a nice scope.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts