Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a new scope and I am no expert when it comes to optics.

If you were looking for a quality scope for fairly long range 250 to 400 yards would be the max, what would you buy? Trying to stay in the $300 range if possible.

·
Registered
32,122 Posts
You're main responses are going be Vortex or Leupold.

Reactions: CamoNinja

·
6,592 Posts
Vortex viper HS long range, gets you the elevation turret. Last I saw was 379 at midway.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,795 Posts
$300 makes it tough, I personally like the Leupold VX3's.

I think they start at about $400 though.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,795 Posts
I will look at both of these. $400 is still not crazy I just don't want to spend $800 on a scope right now.
A vx3 3.5x10x40 is a $400 scope. Will do great on deer out to 400 yds.

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
I will look at both of these. $400 is still not crazy I just don't want to spend $800 on a scope right now.
It's worth every penny to save up and put good glass on a rifle.I have had cheaper scopes most my life.Get a 4.5-14x50 VX3i with the CDS dial on top of it.I think they can be had for around $600.I rather a $300 rifle with a $1000 scope vs a $1000 rifle with $300 scope.Thats just my opinion tho but at minimum get a Vortex Viper or above

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
It's worth every penny to save up and put good glass on a rifle.I have had cheaper scopes most my life.Get a 4.5-14x50 VX3i with the CDS dial on top of it.I think they can be had for around $600.I rather a $300 rifle with a $1000 scope vs a $1000 rifle with $300 scope.Thats just my opinion tho but at minimum get a Vortex Viper or above
That was always my thinking. I bought a Leupold 3x9 when I was 17 years old. That was some serious hay putting up money back then. I still have the scope and it is still clear.
Most people buy the $300 gun and put a $50 scope on it!!!

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Buy the best glass you can’t afford!!!!! Then add another couple hundred!

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
I am shopping for a new scope and I am no expert when it comes to optics.

If you were looking for a quality scope for fairly long range 250 to 400 yards would be the max, what would you buy? Trying to stay in the $300 range if possible.
Like everyone has said, you want a Leupold. There's a lot of choices. The only real question is do you want the CDS system or not. It's a custom elevation dial that you send in to Leupold with your ammo specs, and they custom cut a dial for your scope. It comes from the factory with an MOA dial already installed and a coupon for the custom dial. I use the MOA dial instead of a custom dial because it allows me to use a ballistic program on my phone and use any type of ammo I want. But if you're only trying to shoot out to 400yds max, and you aren't shooting a 308, you may not even need the CDS. It adds about $40 to the price of the scope. Here's the model you want for a hunting rifle, just choose your reticle and CDS or not. Happy Hunting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.op...d-vx-3i-4-5-14x40mm-riflescope.html?_iv_amp=1

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My leupold VXIII Ao 4.5-14 x50 was700-750 back around 2002 . I just saw some on Ebay for over 600 . It is still crystal clear. This year was the first time it and the only rifle it has ever been on has seen the woods in 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Is this for long range hunting or long rage target shooting? If hunting, what animal?
what cartridge you shooting as well. If you want a decent scope that you can dial up and down reliably every time then you will be hard pressed to buy the quality you need at 300.00

·
1,358 Posts
Keep your eyes on Midway. I have recently seen Bushnell Nitro and Engage scopes on sale for under $300 which is a phenomenal deal for those models.

The Nitro is second focal plane with capped target turrets. The Engage is SFP with target turrets on elevation. I purchased both in 6-24x50 varieties and am very impressed with the glass and the scope build quality. They come with Butler Creek covers as well which is a nice bonus. First impressions are that these are equivalent in quality to a Vortex Viper HS range scope.

You're going to be hard pressed like others have said to find one normally priced of that quality.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
you may want to consider buying a gently used scope from someone. you could buy a better quality scope in your price range. obviously you need to be careful in doing so but there are advantages. Again if we had more info on how you intend to use it and what it was going on it would help narrow the list down.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,409 Posts
You need to check out Riteon optics. Veteran owned and American made. I've got two of em now, and they are outstanding.

·
Registered
31,423 Posts
What sized target are you hoping to hit at 400 yards? If it is a deer I would answer differently than if it is a prairie dog.
What is your preferred method to compensate for gravity? You can hold over or turn a dial. I have Leupold scopes that have the CDS system and I have plain old duplex crosshairs.
Wife and I are going on a Montana bear hunt soon and want to be prepared for a 400 yard shot.
With the CDS, the rifle is zeroed at 100 yards. If the target is farther you turn the dial to the appropriate setting. It is very accurate and is capable of hitting a prairie dog at 400 yards although 300 win mag might not be ideal. You do have to go through the steps, range, dial, and shoot.
Her rifle is a .280 Rem with a 2.5X8 Leupold. I use this calculator to decide how to sight it in. ShootersCalculator.com | Ballistic Trajectory Calculator
With a 140grn bullet at about 2950fps it is sighted in 2" high at 100 yards. Between 0 and 300 yards the bullet will max out at 2.28" high and at 300 it is 5.25" low. You can just aim at the middle of the deer or bear and still be in the kill zone. At 400 it is 17.5" low so put the crosshairs on the top of the back.
Of course both methods require a lot of time and practice to be proficient at 400 yards. If you are shooting big game you probably don't need the added expense, size and weight of huge scopes with CDS. If I am not mistaken they are only on 30mm tubes which I consider more of a disadvantage over 1" tubes.
Just a couple more things to consider.
My final answer? A Leupold 2.5X8 or 3.5X10 for big game.

Reactions: rat

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
If I am not mistaken they are only on 30mm tubes which I consider more of a disadvantage over 1" tubes.
Just a couple more things to consider.
why do you consider the 30mm tubes a disadvantage other than the rings are not as common but they are out there.

·
1,358 Posts
why do you consider the 30mm tubes a disadvantage other than the rings are not as common but they are out there.
Agreed. 30mm tubes are an advantage. More scope tube = more elevation/windage adjustment. They are typically thicker tubes as well which are inherently stronger. Rings are readily available even at Walmart these days.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts