Scope for the wife's new rifle

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Bones-N-Beards, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Bones-N-Beards

Bones-N-Beards Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Centralia,MO
    Hey, just bought my wife a new marlin XS7 .243, don't really need to buy an outrageously priced scope as she will really only be using it for the couple weeks of gun season and maybe some yote hunting. She's pretty accurate out to bout 150-175 but I won't let her attempt anything farther, and she has never had to shoot at a deer at anything over about 80-100 as of yet. Anyway, for all you knowlegeable firearms folks like rat or anyone else, what is a good quality but fairly inexpensive rifle scope for me to put on her .243. And by good quality I mean, good optics, durable, etc. thanks in advance

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I'd check out the New Redfield line of scopes....:shrug:

3. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1863571&tid=129764&author=Bones-N-Beards] Anyway, for all you knowlegeable firearms folks like rat or anyone else, [/rquote]

Too many smart alec comments coming into my mind about now... I think I am gonna explode....:rof2::rof2::rof2:

4. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    [rquote=1863571&tid=129764&author=Bones-N-Beards]Hey, just bought my wife a new marlin XS7 .243, don't really need to buy an outrageously priced scope as she will really only be using it for the couple weeks of gun season and maybe some yote hunting. She's pretty accurate out to bout 150-175 but I won't let her attempt anything farther, and she has never had to shoot at a deer at anything over about 80-100 as of yet. Anyway, for all you knowlegeable firearms folks like rat or anyone else, what is a good quality but fairly inexpensive rifle scope for me to put on her .243. And by good quality I mean, good optics, durable, etc. thanks in advance[/rquote]

Bushnell Trophy, I've had one on my rifle for 15 years and it is still dead on accurate and has great optic and reticle. about $100. Although last year while hunting the nast rain, it appeared to get water inside, but looked though it a day later and all clear. But it had a lifetime warranty so if I would have had to send it back not a big deal.

5. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I've got a few Bushnell trophys too. Been very reliable.

I would look at these three brands/models in no particular order.

Nikon Pro-Staff
    Bushnell Trophy
    Redfield

Look at those, and pic the one you like the best.

3x9x40 is all you would ever need in the Mo Deer woods.:shrug:

6. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I've got an old redfield "widefield" that was made before the huge bell ends on scopes. It's been a few guns over the years and still works great. I'd be hard pressed to buy another brand, save maybe Nikon.

7. Bones-N-Beards

Bones-N-Beards Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Centralia,MO
    Yeah I have a 3x9x40 Bushnell Trophy BDC on my 270 and I love it! Good thinkin joe, I didn't even think bout checkin the redfields, My rangefinder is a redfield, is an identical twin to the nikon rangefinders, you wouldn't even be able to tell it wasn't an nikon except that it is smaller than the nikons

8. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    The new Redfields are made by Leupold in Oregon, and I hear they are pretty nice for the money....:thinking:

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1863632&tid=129764&author=callaojoe]The new Redfields are made by Leupold in Oregon, and I hear they are pretty nice for the money....:thinking:[/rquote]

I didnt even notice the rat comment but I'm pretty sure he was making a joke. :hysterical::hysterical:

Anywhoo... I'd say the same as CJ. I saw them redfields on an end-cap in cabelas.. bunch ofem and not too pricey.
    Would have to be pretty good glass for the money and I believe Nasty Jack was considering one heavily also.

So there you have it... even though he has smart aleky things to say about me, I agree with CJ. :D:D

Redfield revolution scopes<---link

10. Bones-N-Beards

Bones-N-Beards Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Centralia,MO
    no jokes here rat, you seem to know your stuff bout guns, along with many others on here, I consider myself one to know my products pretty well, but I love my gun and have never cosidered changing anything, and enjoy bowhunting more than gun hunting anyway, so I don't keep up with all the new scopes and prices and such. After i just bought her this new one, it occured to me bout the scope, figured this place was as good as any to get some opinions

11. bvp81

bvp81 Active Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Chaffee, Mo
    Swift makes a good scope.

12. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Who, me smart aleky...:D

[file]143078[/file]

13. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    Nikon, Luepold or Burris for me.

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1863650&tid=129764&author=Bones-N-Beards]no jokes here rat, you seem to know your stuff bout guns, along with many others on here, I consider myself one to know my products pretty well, but I love my gun and have never cosidered changing anything, and enjoy bowhunting more than gun hunting anyway, so I don't keep up with all the new scopes and prices and such. After i just bought her this new one, it occured to me bout the scope, figured this place was as good as any to get some opinions[/rquote]
    I appreciate it man... you dont usually have to direct a question to anyone on here specifically seems like.
    There are a TON of good folks here that know their stuff firsthand or spend a buch of time on other similar sites.
    I'm certainly not one ofem but I sure learn from folks like yerself that arent shy about asking questions!

I remember my uncle had an old redfield scope he swore by along with a straight 4power weaver scope that I still have today in my safe... almost as good as the day it was bought.
    I imagine that redfield line nowadays is as good as any.
    Mueller makes a goodern too, or used to, that was moderately priced for the quality of glass. I almost bought one a while back and went with a burris.
    I've had good luck with scopes in the past. I've got in my safe I've got 3 Leupold, 3 Burris, a BSA, a Weaver, a Nikon and even a tasco on an old .22 and never had any problems to speak of.

15. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

In that price range, Nikon ProStaff....Thank me later.:claphands::cheers::wave:

16. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Just got the new Cabela's and BPS ads.....

I think these are all 3x9x40

Cabelas:

Bushnell Trophy XLT $99
    Burris Fullfield II for $199
    Nikon BuckMasters starting at $209

BPS:
    Bushnell Trophy XLT $159
    Nikon Pro-Staff $169

Regular price on the Redfield 3x9x40 is $149 if I remember right.:thinking:

17. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Not much of a gun guy but I put the Trophy on my 308,got it on sale for $80 and love it

18. Bones-N-Beards

Bones-N-Beards Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Centralia,MO
    thanks guys for your input, I just want something she can see clearly through and that doesn't cost a fortune. Most scopes are fine, but I know SOME of the scopes that come on package guns, or some of the cheapy scopes are fine to see and shoot through, but the recoil ends up jarring them and you spend alot of time having to resight them in. I appreciate the help greatly from all who have replied

19. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    I personnel like the Burris Fullfield II, it's a little more than some of the others but worth it. I would atleast spend 100 bucks or more, I know you said she would only use it a couple times a year but you don't want it fogging up or anything else while you are using it. I think the best scope for the money right now is the new Redfield line. $149 is the going rate but it's a lot clearer than some of the other listed.

20. I've got a brand new redfield revolutione with a new set of millet rings. 3-9x40 I'd take 125 for. Box and everything.