Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the deal i hunted a spot sunday all water was frozen over an inch thick i cut the hole in the pic before light pushed all the cut ice under the solid stuff put out the deks in the pic the one in the center is my jerk cord so i could provide some motion in the ocean

i also put a pic of my hide up and i assure you me being seen was not a part of the problem

it was a major fly day i saw lots of ducks mostly bigger groups 30-60 birds in each group

i was able to turn a few groups either buy calling or just getting them to look as they few over

never had a single bird give me more than one pass over and all were flying high....

so what could i have done? is there anything that sticks out wrong in the pics? or was it just a day the ducks were on a mission else were?

this was my frist time cutting a hole in the ice and trying to hunt so i am open ot any advice you might offer....

[file]83286[/file]

[file]83284[/file]

[file]83282[/file]

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
big groups need bigger decoy spreads? i dont know, just a guess really.

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
Werent where they wanted to be?

Need more dekes?

Put full bodies up on the edge of the ice?

Make a bigger hole?

Maybe too close to the hide?

Maybe ducks dont wanna loaf there?

If it was a flight day, mayve they were flyin on past?

So many different reasons why they might not come in, as if ducks need a reason not to land on some days

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
[rquote=1503487&tid=104911&author=Jeremy]big groups need bigger decoy spreads? i dont know, just a guess really.[/rquote]

negatory

not always the case

generally ducks feel safer in large numbers

but the refuge at a duck park didnt get 10k ducks at one time, came in by the trickle

:)

G

·
Well if it were me i would have used more decoys and made a bigger hole. As you saw the flocks were getting larger which meant they MAY want to see more ducks on the water. I would have brought some full bodies mallards and put them on the ice too. Just my thought:wave:

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i wish i had some full bodies to attract more attention in a case like this but as of this moment full body ducks aren't in my arsenal.....

i do think it could have been the small number perhaps i had walked in along ways and didn't carry in more than that on this day though

it could have been the distance from the edge that could maybe have been the case but i cut the hole as far out as i was willing to shoot from my hide on the edge and as you can see the place i picked to hide was off a point so i got the hole as far from the trees and edge as i could

does the shape of the hole matter? i notice now it was pretty square? should i have made it more round to look more natrual?

truely i really belive these birds mostly just wanted to head south many never even looked they were on a mission and i didn't even try to work something that didn't even seem remotely interested but the ones that circled once for the ammount of ducks i saw sure would have thought i should have gotten something to finish......

especally since this hole was the only open water probley for miles....

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
something that was interesting from a far distant vantage point
that hill in the back ground
the open water hole i cut looked like you had taken black spray paint and painted the ice black

G

·
I would also say the birds were on a mission, and didnt feel like they needed to rest in the hole you made. Nothing you could do about it:boohoo:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I religously hunted a public ground honeyhole for many years. Seemed like once it froze up good, no matter how big we cut the hole or throwin the bestest callin at em they wouldn't work, even with new birds. The only days we could get some action is when it was really nasty out, snowin, blowin etc... and they were lookin for a spot to get out of the weather. Look for a place where the birds are using, bust em out if ya have to and toss a few dekes out, won't take many like reb said. They will work back in cause they wanted to be there, that's really the key IMHO, finding the place they want to be.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
I don't think we can ever no why when it comes to these things. I use to hunt around Aldrich on Stockton Lake. There was a spot on the mud flat that was about as big a kiddy pool that wouldn't freeze up. It was boggy as heck and stunck like it was an old sewer system or something. The lake could be frozen for several miles and some days they would pour into that hole by the hundereds. I would just put 6-8 decoys out around the edges because I didn't want to wlak in that stuff. Other days, same senerio, ducks would just fly by??? WHo can really unserstand something that has the a brain the size of a pea?

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
end o story is only the ducks know why they didn't want in there. i have killed a ton of ducks over holes in ice no bigger than a kiddy swimmin pool with just a couple of decoys in it and i have killed them over holes in ice the size of city park swimming holes with eight to ten dozen decoys. on the flip side, i have not touched a trigger over the same set ups either. only the ducks know. i am probably the worst at changing things up if something isn't working, i won't wait on the stupid ones, i'll change it and see what the next group does.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Personally I would try bigger hole, but as others say you never know. I was out sunday and was having same problem. Big groups working but not finishing!!

If your working big groups like that I got out and moved most of the decoys to the upwind side of the pool kinda bunched together and left 2 in the land hole to give the bigger groups more room to land. That worked it got the first 2 or 3 to come on in and we would cut on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts