Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

Registered
Terrible advice... Let me say with experience that they will not replace your scope if you break it. I broke one in half with I accidently dropped my rifle on the garage floor. I sent it in with an honest explanation, they sent a letter back saying it would be $120 to put it back together. I happily paid! This was 20+ years ago...
Yeah it was sarcasm 馃憤馃徎

Registered
I will give you $100 for the crappy, no light gathering Leupold.

I have a 1996-1997 vintage Leupold 3x9x40 on my -06 and its been awesome for 24+ years and never bumped.

I bet its your eyes, but I wouldn't mount a new scope, I'd try em in low light outside first.

Registered
Scopes don't lose light transmission ability unless the lenses and or lens coatings are damaged . "New" nitrogen won't help either. Larger objectives than a 40 mm create more problems than they solve and a larger tube diameter does nothing but increase the range of elevation and windage adjustments .Look through a buddies newer scope of whatever flavor and see if you notice a difference. Age is not kind to any of us . Lens coatings have improved over the years , to what degree is subjective. That being said more money equals a better built and brighter scope , however there is a point of diminishing return.

Registered

I have compared my Meopta R 2 to my brother in laws VX5 leupold and there is no comparison on clarity in bright or low light. My Meopta made several people very shocked who looked through both.
Here is what a guy wrote on another forum about the cheaper Optika6. Many many many different options on it, and price ranges.
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Document

Registered
Terrible advice... Let me say with experience that they will not replace your scope if you break it. I broke one in half with I accidently dropped my rifle on the garage floor. I sent it in with an honest explanation, they sent a letter back saying it would be $120 to put it back together. I happily paid! This was 20+ years ago...
But Vortex will

Registered
Yeah it was sarcasm 馃憤馃徎
Sorry, hard to discern for me...Seems I'm the only middle aged guy I know that can't make out the difference between s#!t and shoe polish on social media these days.........Shoulda picked up on the, lol I guess.....? (y)

Registered
But Vortex will
I've never personally owned a Vortex but from what I've been around, the glass is good, (haven't tested light transmission), turret repeatably sucks till you get to the Razor Line and you will likely need the warranty. That's just my experience....You may like a whole different shade of "shoe polish".

I've got several of the Viper PST models both gen 1 and 2. Turrets are very repeatable, zero stops are functional and repeatable. Glass is very good although I think it could be better for the money. I have a Meopta Meopro that has superior glass though.

Registered
THIS!!!!!!
Top Notch Post!!!!

A young healthy human eye can only dilate up to about 7or 8mm in diameter, IIRC. Older eyes usually much less! :whistle:

That said, most scopes with 40mm objectives already offer way more "light carrying potential" than the human eye can take. For example, the exit pupil of your 3x9x40 is 13.3mm @3X and 4.4mm @9X.

I said "light carrying potential" because quality of the glass, the number of lenses, and lens coatings are far more important than objective or tube diameters. Stray light bouncing around inside the scope is the enemy here and it's always the result of poorly finished glass lenses, mainly around the edges, poor or no lense coatings, or surface wear from years of improper cleaning.

The better the glass, the better the coatings and the better we take care of our stuff the brighter the image will be. If your Leupold is really 25+ years old, you would definitely benefit from one of the newer Multi-Coat versions.......,

but the ultimate low light scope is a fixed power with good glass and coatings. Fixed powered scopes only have one set of lenses v/s three for variables. That's two extra sets of lenses to scatter light. All things being equal a fixed power is always gonna be brighter!
[/QUOTE]

Registered
Product Yellow Font Rectangle Line
If you decide to go with a fixed power scope the SWFA SS scopes are nothing to sneeze at. I own a few 6x and 10x that are impressive at the price point. Don鈥檛 know much about their warranty as I鈥檝e never had to use it....
Camera accessory Gadget Audio equipment Output device Composite material
Microphone Audio equipment Auto part Office supplies Cable

Registered
I've got several of the Viper PST models both gen 1 and 2. Turrets are very repeatable, zero stops are functional and repeatable. Glass is very good although I think it could be better for the money. I have a Meopta Meopro that has superior glass though.
Good to know Wibb! Maybe they have made some improvements since the last time I was around them much. I keep hearing good things about Meopta...

Registered
View attachment 226560 If you decide to go with a fixed power scope the SWFA SS scopes are nothing to sneeze at. I own a few 6x and 10x that are impressive at the price point. Don鈥檛 know much about their warranty as I鈥檝e never had to use it.... View attachment 226561 View attachment 226562
Those are absolutely the most bullet proof scopes in that price range bar none. They track, they hold zero, glass is good enough and they transmit light well. Only problem I've had with any of the fixed SWFA's is that the reticle is very fine and can be hard to see in low light. If they would add illumination to these, they would be dang tough to beat at any price point!

Those are absolutely the most bullet proof scopes in that price range bar none. They track, they hold zero, glass is good enough and they transmit light well. Only problem I've had with any of the fixed SWFA's is that the reticle is very fine and can be hard to see in low light. If they would add illumination to these, they would be dang tough to beat at any price point!
That鈥檚 what I love about my Meopta. It has a red dot in the center. It has 8 intensity settings. At 233 yards I could hold that red dot in the middle of a hedge ball and still see the hedge ball.
Too bright and you can鈥檛 see past the dot. Turn it down until it is perfect brightness for the surrounding light and my old eyes just love it.

Registered
That鈥檚 what I love about my Meopta. It has a red dot in the center. It has 8 intensity settings. At 233 yards I could hold that red dot in the middle of a hedge ball and still see the hedge ball.
Too bright and you can鈥檛 see past the dot. Turn it down until it is perfect brightness for the surrounding light and my old eyes just love it.
I'm thinking I may have room for a Meopta...

Reactions: thwackaddict
41 - 60 of 84 Posts