Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
I have a VX5HD on my Browning X Bolt but this VX3HD is all anyone needs for normal 0-300 yard deer killing.It has a custom dial on it as well so if you like heavy old school calibers like .358 you can add some dope to it to shoot at 300 yards without having to aim different if you wanted to
Automotive tire Hood Dog breed Carnivore Grey

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
The Viper line is near the bottom for Vortex. I have some Viper binos, they are good economy binos, but they aren't high performance and definitely not good in low light.
Viper is the middle grade for Vortex.Vortex is solid I have some Diamondback Binos from them that I like a lot.Bur for hunting scopes I’m not a fan of their glass until you get to the Razor line of scopes.Hard to beat Leupold in the hunting scope space never used their binos tho.I seen some Meopta binos the other day I would love to get but they was $1200 🥴

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
This thread reminds me of advice given to me by an old man once about buying scopes. He said buy a Leupold once, use it til its got some little problem you can’t stand. Then take it off the gun and bounce it off the sidewalk and send it in for lifetime repair. Just reminded me of that image 25 years ago of a scope flipping through the air like a stick. 😂
This is the best advice,throw the 25 year old scope out back of your truck Bob and send it back they liable to send you a VX3 for free lol

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Terrible advice... Let me say with experience that they will not replace your scope if you break it. I broke one in half with I accidently dropped my rifle on the garage floor. I sent it in with an honest explanation, they sent a letter back saying it would be $120 to put it back together. I happily paid! This was 20+ years ago...
Yeah it was sarcasm 👍🏻

·
Registered
8,987 Posts

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
I do like my 2.5x15
Only issue with 2.5 power scopes is if you mount them too low profile you can see the barrel on the 2.5 setting I have an XBolt .270 with that issue but I never use the 2.5 setting anyway. To me the 4-24 range is most useful so I think my next will be a 4-24 and I’m gonna take my 3-15 and mount it on another rifle

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
There have been a couple of mensions of going to a 30mm tube. Just to clarify larger tubes ONLY increase the number of clicks, not the field of view and not light transmission. They also increase weight and cost but they are cooler I guess.
Also allows for heavier duty internals with more room to work with to stuff them in there.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
The new coatings that have been developed are what increases light transmission by reducing light being reflected.
Every lens reflects light. There are usually about 7 lenses in a scope.(side parallax adjustable scopes have 2 more lenses) So even if a coating lets 99.8% of light through
every lens is losing that .2%. So a high dollar scope may end up with 94% transmission after it goes through 7 lenses.

Older scopes can be at 60-80% transmission.

If you want the best light transmission get a scope without side PA.(may not even be able to tell though)
I wish I could find a scope that compares to an old Khales Helia C.That’s the best low light hunting scope I ever used.Been trying to get a guy to sell me his that he has laying around not even on a rifle anymore

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
You want the best? Never looked through one but a lot of guys says this is it.
It better be for $3000 lol. If it’s anything like a Khales Helia C you can see in low light clear as can be.We tested low light and clarity at my hunting camp one weekend with a Meopta Meostar,Khales,Swarovski Z8i,and a Vortex. Khales could read a license plate 100 yards away from camp on a car clear as day,Meopta was second,Swarovski 3rd.I was very disappointed in the Swarovski,badass crystal clear glass during the day all the way till the last 20 minutes or so of shooting light then it was no better than scopes half the cost.I wanna compare it to my Leupold VX5 next time I go up to camp and my buddy Josh is there with the Swaro we gonna have to take both rifles that afternoon an see what it looks like

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
What is wierd is that when comparing my wife’s Swaro Z8i with my Meopta is that there is about 15-20 minutes of last legal shooting time where they are so close it is hard to tell. I’m fact I almost think the Meopta out does the Swarovski. When we got down to the last 2 to 3 minutes of seeing anything at all the Swarovski all of a sudden out did the Meopta. I think we were probably 20-30 minutes past legal anyway last summer when doing the comparison.
Several other guys on the long range forum made the same comments. So do you want to pay double to get a Swarovski for maybe 2-3 more minutes of seeing ability?
Yeah and with my eyes the Meopta outperformed the Swaro.During the daylight the Swaro was crystal clear clarity but so was the Meopta.I definitely feel like Swaro is over priced myself.I’m glad I got friends with great taste so I get to sample without buying lol.I really want a VX6HD in a 4-24x52 model with the CDS dial system I wish I had bought it first instead of my 3-15 VX5 because had I already bought the VX6 an didn’t have the VX5 I would be buying a Meopta.But since I have the VX5 I’m gonna take it off my hells canyon an put it on my .270
If I buy the .257 Weatherby I’m wanting then the VX5 goes on it and I’ll buy a Meopta for the .270 😎 I basically need more rifles

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
My brother in law and his son in law both have the VX5 HD. They are awesome and have the massive "Christmas tree" reticle in them.
I took my 2.5 x 15 x 56 R2 Meostar up to their house just to see how mine compared to theirs. We were looking at trees and soy beans and a target at 600 yards as it got dark.
I honestly had no clue how they would compare. My previous scope was a Simmons 44 mag 3-10 x 44 I bought in the early 80's. Still a "decent" scope.
All three of us were blew away by how much clearer the Meopta was than the VX5. Their VX5's lost ability to see leaves, and barely could tell tree line from soybeans at dark, and my Meopta could still see individual leaves. What they have that I don't is Christmas tree reticle and dialing turrets. I have a red dot though, and my old eyes love it. Sounds crazy but it is so easy to see that red dot and not have my eyes go in and out of focus.

I bought the Meopta without ever having looked through it. I researched a 1000 posts on the internet, and many guys all said the same thing. If you want the best glass for the $$$, and don't care about dialing turrets etc, get the Meopta. Many of these guys had cabinet draws full of Leica, Kahles, Schmidt and Bender, Zeiss, Swarovkis, Hensoldt, etc. So I hoped I hadn't been duped by internet hype and bought a poor scope. Now I am so glad I took the gamble. It also seems to track great. Move it 15 clicks and you get 15 clicks on target. Which if I can swap a scope and shoot three shots and have it perfect zero I can swap gun to gun and not feel like I am burning ammo I shouldn't be.
Naw Meopta is some of the best glass out there and bang for the buck wise I don’t know if they can be matched.There Optika line is no better than Vortex in my opinion but the other stuff like the Meostar is just a great scope with great glass.I think they are making more long range stuff now too but never seen one or looked through it or seen how much adjustment it has in them.I like my VX5 it’s solid and guy I know owns the local shop here so I get them on a great deal.I have a VX2, VX3HD,and a VX5HD currently but he also carries Meopta and I will be getting one eventually just gotta figure out what rifle will ever be my dedicated deer rifle that I will never take out West and that’s the rifle I’m gonna stick it on cause I’m in love with the CDS dial system on Leupolds it works great for dummies like me

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
My brother in law uses his VX5 for deer hunting. But he also mounts it on AR's and other varmint calibers.
He is a really good shot.(I'd bet his eyes are better than 99% of guys on here is part of it)
He loves his AR and VX5 combo for prairie dogs. He can take a shot at long range. Watch where the bullet hits on his "christmas tree", then move where the bullet hit to the prairie dog and
shoot again. All the guys get to laughing about how he can do this so fast that he can kill "his" prairie dog and several "other guys" prairie dogs before they can get a range and dope scope. :ROFLMAO:
"**! Would you stop doing that! I just got my scope dialed 23 clicks up and 5 left and you shot my dog out from under me!!!"
Yeah MOA an Mil retitcles definetly are awesome for fast target adjustments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts