Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a big gun guy and my a-bolt is topped with a Leupold scope likely 25+ years old. I was not impressed with the light gathering ability Monday on a field edge at 445 pm. I am looking to likely replace it with a Vortex, what should i get and why, not looking for long range shooting, more lght gathering as we know whne they likely move.

I believe it is a 3 x 9 x 40, would have to check.

Thanks....

·
just a no body
14,951 Posts
Vortex IIRC makes a 4x12x44.
JMO but 50+objectives get kinda silly and IMO are not THAT much better-

what kinda Loui do you have now? Did you know that at dusk you lower your power to gain more light?

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,405 Posts
Just get a new 3x9x40 with 1" tube, it'll be as bright as you need.

Get the best you can afford, whatever that is.

Reactions: Wibb and 20'

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,405 Posts
Vortex IIRC makes a 4x12x44.
JMO but 50+objectives get kinda silly and IMO are not THAT much better-

what kinda Loui do you have now? Did you know that at dusk you lower your power to gain more light?
This is correct, a 50mm obj on a 1" tube is silly.

If you can find a nice 30mm Tube scope, I like those.... But, 50mm obj, is really not needed IMHO.

Reactions: 20'

·
Registered
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Call Leupold and see if you can get it repaired under their lifetime warranty. I compared my Leupold side by side to 2 Vortex scopes this year at twilight and the old Leupold is right there with the vortex, you might need a shot of nitrogen in your Leupold.
Good intel, here. Like i mentioned it could just be my eyes as well???

·
Registered
745 Posts
A young healthy human eye can only dilate up to about 7or 8mm in diameter, IIRC. Older eyes usually much less! :whistle:

That said, most scopes with 40mm objectives already offer way more "light carrying potential" than the human eye can take. For example, the exit pupil of your 3x9x40 is 13.3mm @3X and 4.4mm @9X.

I said "light carrying potential" because quality of the glass, the number of lenses, and lens coatings are far more important than objective or tube diameters. Stray light bouncing around inside the scope is the enemy here and it's always the result of poorly finished glass lenses, mainly around the edges, poor or no lense coatings, or surface wear from years of improper cleaning.

The better the glass, the better the coatings and the better we take care of our stuff the brighter the image will be. If your Leupold is really 25+ years old, you would definitely benefit from one of the newer Multi-Coat versions.......,

but the ultimate low light scope is a fixed power with good glass and coatings. Fixed powered scopes only have one set of lenses v/s three for variables. That's two extra sets of lenses to scatter light. All things being equal a fixed power is always gonna be brighter!

Reactions: swat1018

·
Registered
23,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A young healthy human eye can only dilate up to about 7or 8mm in diameter, IIRC. Older eyes usually much less! :whistle:

That said, most scopes with 40mm objectives already offer way more "light carrying potential" than the human eye can take. For example, the exit pupil of your 3x9x40 is 13.3mm @3X and 4.4mm @9X.

I said "light carrying potential" because quality of the glass, the number of lenses, and lens coatings are far more important than objective or tube diameters. Stray light bouncing around inside the scope is the enemy here and it's always the result of poorly finished glass lenses, mainly around the edges, poor or no lense coatings, or surface wear from years of improper cleaning.

The better the glass, the better the coatings and the better we take care of our stuff the brighter the image will be. If your Leupold is really 25+ years old, you would definitely benefit from one of the newer Multi-Coat versions.......,

but the ultimate low light scope is a fixed power with good glass and coatings. Fixed powered scopes only have one set of lenses v/s three for variables. That's two extra sets of lenses to scatter light. All things being equal a fixed power is always gonna be brighter!
If I sent it back, could they revolt the lenses????

1 - 20 of 63 Posts