Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both these companies offer the base layers(long underwear) version of their gear, why would you need the scent control outer wear, i.e.. 190$ jacket and 170$ pants to where over them then? Could a guy get a way with just the base layers?

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,529 Posts
I've got outer wear that I never wear anymore. Read an article one day that said that active charcoal required some incredible heat to neutralize the scent trapped in it. Something like 1000 degree. Way more than a dry produces. The guy had a lot of pics & seemed to know what he was talking about.Can't remember all the details, but I do know it put a lot of doubt in my mind & I no longer have confidence in the hype put out by these companies. So it just sits in the container now & I wear my other camo. Just make sure I was it often & keep it sealed with scent wafers.

It really bites that as I get older, I can't remember things very well. For every piece of new info I put in, I loose 2 pieces of old info.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Pinwheel, if you don't wear them anymore, are you looking to get rid of them? Shoot me a u2u.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
I've been wearing ScentLok for years....I think it works to an extent...maybe the deer thinks you are 100 yds away in stead of 20....But...I'll never buy it again...it doesn't work as good as they would want you to believe. Shower, wash your clothes, and hunt the wind....no matter what the commercial says, hunt the wind...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Originally posted by blevely
Both these companies offer the base layers(long underwear) version of their gear, why would you need the scent control outer wear, i.e.. 190$ jacket and 170$ pants to where over them then? Could a guy get a way with just the base layers?
I wondered the same thing. What's the point of a "base layer" if the outer clothing is supposed to be so good? I think it's a marketing strategy to sell more products.

I've used the original undergarment stuff for several years and don't see a need to use anything else.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,529 Posts
Originally posted by cfdjay
Pinwheel, if you don't wear them anymore, are you looking to get rid of them? Shoot me a u2u.
Maybe. Don't even know for sure what I've got. I'll dig around this weekend & see. I'll warn you though, I never worry about my camo matching, so I doubt anything will be a matched set. Lack of movement is far more important than pattern. IMO

I used to have a lot of confidence in it. Had a lot of deer down wind. I just don't trust it anymore & that's no way to hunt. Doubt causes me to make mistakes. I totally agree with you fireman.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I use under armour to keep me dry and white lightning spray for scent elimination,and hunt to wind in my advantage,first time I tried the white lightning had a 10 point and a doe within 10 feet of staring at me while I was ground hunting,then my legs shook so bad it didnt matter what I used :D,the trick to the spray was to carry it out with you and spray after your done moving

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Hunt the wind! Being new to this hunting game I can tell you that I research a little more than your average person, and I have come up with what most of you have told me, hunt the wind! Believe me, I do not have a problem with purchasing what is supposed to work, but why buy it if you do not need it!? What I have found is hunting the wind and being quiet is where it is at! Now which way is the wind blowing today?

·
Senior Member Team 19
3,491 Posts
Just wildlife researches scentkiller for me and i keep my hunting clothes in a plastic tote. Then use a litte more once I reach my stand/blind... I had a deer as close as 6 feet last year during muzzleloader season. So I see no reason to change my strategy.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
You know there close when they knock the stoogie out of you mouth, I smoke, piss off the stand and generally so all the things they tell you not too. I still fill the freezer, but then again I'm not into selling gear. Guess if I really wanted to do all the things they recomend on the TV, I would have to get a third freezer. Hunt the wind!!!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
LOL - piss off the stand. I did that last year, and turned around afterwards to see the only dang deer I saw all season bolt across the field right in front of me! I never had a chance. I'll think twice before taking my eyes off the land again!

I gotta agree though - hunt the wind. Scentlok is way too much money for me - use a scent killing detergent and/or earth wafers and/or local dirt and that's that!

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I got a set of scent-loc pants and jacket to use this year. I caught the end of year sale in 2005 (didnt get to hunt at all that year) so this year will be its first year. I'll still use all the precautions I've always used though, and keep my outer stuff in a plastic tote filled with evergreen branchs. when its cold and I layer I've never worried about undergarmets though.
the main thing is no matter what HUNT THE WIND!!!!!
btw I seen a comerical for scent proof mouth spray:rotfl:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Here is the skinny on carbon activated clothing. Someone earlier mentioned that the carbon will not be reactivated unless it is done at like 1,000 degrees. This is true, if the carbon would work 100%. By using a common household dryer, at obviously a much lower temperature, the carbon is only activated a small percentage. The idea is a little help, eliminating order, is better than no help at all. This is why they tell you to where an inner layer and outer layer. The more area of carbon used around your body, the better it works. Using the carbon spray is yet another measure to eliminate some more scent. NOTHING, eliminates all odor. The more steps taken to reduce your odor, the better your chances of doing so.

·
5,632 Posts
I just wash my clothes in a scent free detergent, dry them with some dirt smelling dryer sheets and store them in a plastic tub.

I wait till I get to where I'm going to put it all on. Spray down with some scent killing spray and then I take the spray to the stand and spray down at the tree also. Don't forget inside the hat. I know my favorite camo hat gets to reaking pretty pad. I have to wash that every now and then too.

Even after doing all this, I still get winded. It's impossible to cover it all. I just want to do what I can without shelling out huge bucks for the scent blocker clothing.

Hunt the wind.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,282 Posts
I usually carry some baking soda in a ziploc bag with me. My hair will usually be sweating by the time I get to the stand and I'll sprinkle a little in my hair and hat to help absorb my odor.

As far as scent absorbing clothing goes, I don't own any and I don't plan on buying any. I will, like everyone else, wash them in scent free detergent and dry them either with or without one those expensive dryer sheets. I keep them in a seperate bag with a couple of wafer scents. I'll spray down everything before heading out, and add a little deer dander when I'm in the stand.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
I'd rather smell like nuttin, rather than a pile of fresh dirt that wasn't there yesterday!!!

·
Team Trapper and the STFUs
17,213 Posts
I love the Hunter's Speciality line of products. Calls, Scent elimination, the whole shebang! I've found them to be the highest quality products around. Their calls have always gotten the response I've wanted and the scent elimination system hasn't failed me yet. I've hunted on a 500 acre farm in Macon County the past 7 years with 15 other guys. I was always the youngest of the group, so all the old-timers would give me crap about my "new technologies" including my H.S. products. But after 2 seasons of very successful hunts, they knew that the stuff was working for me. We lease this farm, so each of us has a certian area of the farm. Since senority rules, I was stuck at the north end of a stand of timber with nothing but a south wind set up. How often do we get good south winds come Mid-November??? Not too often. So I COULDN'T hunt the wind, but my H.S. products have done the trick. My area has grown to become on of the prime spots on the farm, and since I'm not hunting there this year, there was quite the scramble to take my stand.

So I'll get off my:soapbox:and leave you with this:

Find something you like, and stick with it. That's my strategy.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Forget the scent lock, just hunt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.