Scent Killers (what do you think is the best?) Home made vs commercial

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by Heart shot, May 22, 2009.

1. Heart shot

Heart shot Active Member

Jul 19, 2008
    St. Louis
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    i put my clothes in a bag of cedar branches.

3. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    [rquote=1271763&tid=89048&author=Jeremy]i put my clothes in a bag of cedar branches.[/rquote]

I do as well. Also, you can take the greens from a cedar put them in a blender with water, blend, strain, and put into a spray bottle.

I also carry Scent Killer with me. Cause you never know when the scent is going to try and sneak up on you with a karate chop. Gotte be prepared.

4. firemedjoe

firemedjoe New Member

Very interesting hmmmm:peepwall:

5. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    very interesting for sure!

6. SHORTSHOT

SHORTSHOT Active Member

Feb 24, 2009
    KANSAS CITY
    NEVER THOUGHT OF THE CEDAR BRANCHES. I USUALLY USE A SCENT WAFER OF FRESH EARTH IN MY CLOTHES BAG. MIGHT TRY THE CEDAR BRANCHES THOUGH.:D

7. Heart shot

Heart shot Active Member

Jul 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    I know a lot guys on here used that Dead Down Wind stuff and it was ranked the worst on the test. I have never used it, so I am curious as to if it you all think it works well.

8. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    [rquote=1271976&tid=89048&author=Heart shot]I know a lot guys on here used that Dead Down Wind stuff and it was ranked the worst on the test. I have never used it, so I am curious as to if it you all think it works well. [/rquote]

I have had some faith in it. I did my own little test with a buddy of mines kids feet! They stunk so bad I couldnt sit next to him on the couch so I went and got my bottle and gave his feet a good dosing and you couldnt smell them any more!! lol true I tell ya

been using it ever since.

9. Buckngator

Buckngator New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I think it depends on the area you are hunting in and what are common odors to the area. Sometime ago I read an article written by a proffessional tracker who claimed he always used campfire smoke. Cedar branches are great if they are present in the area you are hunting in but would probably not be too effective in a hardwoods area or an agricultural setting. I think it is just what they are used to in the region. Same as vehicles, there are cattle operations on property accross the road from my camp and I can practically drive a pickup right up alongside a deer but its nothing but tails if I pull in on the 4-wheeler. Never had a lot of luck with the commercial sprays, doe in heat, gay buck spray:peepwall:etc. Probably do just as well with stale beer and cigar smoke with a dash of chili flatuance added for flavor.

10. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Waste of time and money... Keep the wind in your favor and you won't be dissapointed.

11. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    wind is always swirling where i hunt

12. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    [rquote=1272014&tid=89048&author=hunter7x][rquote=1271976&tid=89048&author=Heart shot]I know a lot guys on here used that Dead Down Wind stuff and it was ranked the worst on the test. I have never used it, so I am curious as to if it you all think it works well. [/rquote]

I have had some faith in it. I did my own little test with a buddy of mines kids feet! They stunk so bad I couldnt sit next to him on the couch so I went and got my bottle and gave his feet a good dosing and you couldnt smell them any more!! lol true I tell ya

been using it ever since. [/rquote]

:rof2::rof2: That is a TRUE test!

13. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    [rquote=1272473&tid=89048&author=Jeremy]wind is always swirling where i hunt[/rquote]

Hunt early before the wind comes up...

Hunt high...

Hunt late when the wind calms...

Hunt smart and don't rely on gimmicks designed to seperate your cash from your wallet.

14. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    i dont use scent sprays..my stand is backed up by cedars...thats what i use for scent cover:cheers:

15. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1272026&tid=89048&author=Buckngator]I think it depends on the area you are hunting in and what are common odors to the area. Sometime ago I read an article written by a proffessional tracker who claimed he always used campfire smoke. Cedar branches are great if they are present in the area you are hunting in but would probably not be too effective in a hardwoods area or an agricultural setting. I think it is just what they are used to in the region. Same as vehicles, there are cattle operations on property accross the road from my camp and I can practically drive a pickup right up alongside a deer but its nothing but tails if I pull in on the 4-wheeler. Never had a lot of luck with the commercial sprays, doe in heat, gay buck spray:peepwall:etc. Probably do just as well with stale beer and cigar smoke with a dash of chili flatuance added for flavor.[/rquote]

i like the cigar smoke part:rock:

not crazy bout the stale beer part:cheers:

chili flatulance? ALWAYS !!!:dancin::rof2:

16. yankee

yankee Senior Member

i hunt so close to a small town, human scent doesn't phase em:D:D, killed my biggest deer near the edge of a small 9 hole golf course, wind in his face, and it didn't stop him from coming in, just hunt the areas close to small populations...

17. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    [rquote=1273853&tid=89048&author=yankee]i hunt so close to a small town, human scent doesn't phase em:D:D, killed my biggest deer near the edge of a small 9 hole golf course, wind in his face, and it didn't stop him from coming in, just hunt the areas close to small populations...[/rquote]

That is about anywhere during the firearms deer season on public hunting ground!