Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may or may not know, I am learning to bow hunt. This year I intend to do a little early season bow hunting. I hate ticks etc., so I intend to treat my clothes with permethrin. Now, this will go against the scent free goals of bow hunting. So, what does one do? I have tons of camoflague and really don't have any desire to buy some type of "bug suit". Fight the human smell or the bugs? Or, is the premethrin smell somthing that the deer will not identify as a dangerous smell? I want to here your opionions.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I believe hiding your odor is much more important than worrying about bugs. Ticks aren't a problem if you tuck everything in real good or put masking tape around cuffs. When the skeeters are real bad, I wear gloves and a head net.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Ticks may not be a problem in some places but they are a big problem in Phelps and surrounding counties. I would certainly use the material you mentioned. I've used it during spring and fall turkey seasons for a number of years with 100% success. The few deer I have come across during these outings didn't seem affected one way or the other.

·
Registered
21,439 Posts
In my opinion, you have to be fairly comfortable to be able to hunt effectively. If you are getting nailed by ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes etc. you probably aren't going to be hunting as still and long as you would if you used the permathrin to keep the bugs away. So spray your clothes and position yourself with the wind blowing away from the trails. My .02

·
Former Chicken Man
20,432 Posts
You say you have tons of camo, so maybe you can do what I do. Keep one set for strick scent control, and the rest can be used with sprays as needed.
As said above, I'm pretty strick about scent control, but you also won't se anythiong if you're swinging your arms at bugs. You'll have to weigh out your own priorities each time you go.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
As some above have said, treat your clothes, hunt the wind, plus use a cover scent such as cedar, dirt etc. If they smell ya....they win...next time!

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,760 Posts
Wear the bug spray. Movement of swatting at bugs will get you busted as quick as scent. I bought a couple of thermocells last year, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

I believe predetors/carnivors put off a different smell than other animals. Prey animals have a strong sense of smell for these animals. Humans are included in the predetor catigory. Sometimes I think people think too much & give wildlife too much credit for their thinking ability. All that's on an animals mind is eating, staying alive & breeding. Control that carnivor smell. Bathe, brush your teeth, scrub any place you grow hair & use deodorant. About the only cover scent I use is fresh earth wafers in with my clothes. That & smoke. Most of the time, I'll build a small fire with dry leaves & throw on green foilage & stand in the smoke. Can't count how many deer I've had downwind.

When on the bowstand, the lower you are, the more you've got to worry about movement & scent control. I typically hunt from 20' minimum. Higher when possible. This builds in it's own forgiveness. Your scent drifts further before settling to the ground. You can get away with far more movement. It brings with it some disadvantages as well, mainly, your kill zone shrinks. Because of the steep angle on 15-20 yd shots, the kill zone shrinks in height. It's a good idea to practice on a 3D target if your going to go that high.

Another important tip I will offer is to use existing cover. When I'm looking for a tree for my stand, wether it's my API climbers, ladder stand or lock on stand, I always try to find a tree with branches or a fork at the level I want to hunt. If none are available, I add small branches with leaves to my stand. If I'm high, I make sure to look up at the tree from where I expect to see deer & make sure I don't set myself up as a silhoette. Trees with foilage behind me breaks up my outline.

OK, I'm done. Sorry to ramble on so long.

One more thing that I never hear mentioned. NEVER EVER wash your hunting clothes in regular laundry detergent. They add ultra violet brighteners. That's what make the whites whiter & the brights brighter. Deer & other nocternal animals see on an ultra violet level. Check your clothes under a black light. If they glow, your in trouble in low light situations.

Ok, Now I'm really done. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
I've been told by SEVERAL people that thermacells are the way to cure this problem.

You CAN NOT be on stand swatting at skeeters. Its going to cost you BIG TIME.

I'll be using a bug suit and a thermacell. I'll be using my home brew mix for scent free.

Parker

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
I've been told by SEVERAL people that thermacells are the way to cure this problem.

You CAN NOT be on stand swatting at skeeters. Its going to cost you BIG TIME.

I'll be using a bug suit and a thermacell. I'll be using my home brew mix for scent free.

Parker
I like my Thermacell!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
another thing to note here, when you spray with that permithian (splchk) stuff, its my understanding that it lasts for a few washings, so spray your clothes, let them dry and either wash them again or run them through the dryer with some of those earth scented dryer sheets. they work really well.

use the thermocell as an added insurance policy for the flying critters, and permiethin for the ones that want to crawl.

either way, scent Free and movement free is the key.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Last year I invested in the bug suit from bass pro. I can't say I like wearing it but it does work. I might have to try this thermacell thing out though, it sounds like it works pretty good.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by Goldtip
Last year I invested in the bug suit from bass pro. I can't say I like wearing it but it does work. I might have to try this thermacell thing out though, it sounds like it works pretty good.
I'm tellin ya, I'm the right flavor for all those bitin bugs....they'll crawl/fly across 6 of ya'll, just to git to me...the Thermacell works, even on those big Pope and Young river skeeters!!!!! As much spray as I use, the 20 bucks for the Thermacell is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
I use Permanone and havn't been winded with it. I just spray down with the scent eliminator before heading to the stand. No bugs, no stink

·
Registered
21,512 Posts
Me I hunt from the ground and just watch the wind and have killed Deer 10 yards from me.

But I am looking into Thermacell.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin just catches them on his tongue.

·
Registered
651 Posts
When I worked in the woods, the boss gave us powdered sulfer. which we put around our socks and wast, no ticks ! or smell but it doesn't help with mosquitos. Like one guy said, use the juice and keep the wind in your face.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I spray my clothes with permanome, wait a day or two then wash them in scent free detergent. It seems to work great.
Had a buck I have been after 7 yards from me last year 2 days into the season. He never knew I was there.
To bad there was all kinds of honey suckle in my way preventing me from taking a shot.
The permanome gets in the fabric of your clothes and I have had it last up to 3 weeks even with washing the clothes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.