Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Don't mind me
9,428 Posts
I wear rubber boots and spray the bottom of the boots with raccoon urine. I have watched deer cut my trail and never give it a second look at it. Been doing this for over thirty years and have never had a problem. I also spray it on the foliage around my stand and have had deer come in from down wind of me and never bust me.
Mark
I've had them smell where I walked in with rubber boots several times. Haven't done the raccoon piss trick yet. I guess you don't drive home in the same boots.. :ROFLMAO:

·
Under appreciated
89,149 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've had them smell where I walked in with rubber boots several times. Haven't done the raccoon piss trick yet. I guess you don't drive home in the same boots.. :ROFLMAO:
Not even!!!!! Accidentally got some on my hands on evening and the wife made me sleep in my shop.
Mark

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,571 Posts
Y'all will make fun of me if I tell you the lengths I go to. I mean you'll make fun of me anyway, but I can break it all down for you if you really want me to.

·
Registered
31,564 Posts
Y'all will make fun of me if I tell you the lengths I go to. I mean you'll make fun of me anyway, but I can break it all down for you if you really want me to.
No thanks.

·
Under appreciated
89,149 Posts
@trapperBR549 was telling me last weekend about a guy who had a unique method for freshening scrapes... pretty sure it was you now that you mention it. :D

Reactions: trapperBR549

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
One other thing that's often overlooked. UV brighteners that are in many laundry detergents. They make your clothes glow to wildlife, especially close to dark. Ever had a squirrel pick you off from afar, even with slow intentional movement? That's UV brighteners causing that.
This is gospel. One spring I doused my camo bibs with off during turkey season. That fall I grabbed what I thought was a different pair and went to my deer stand. That day I was in a ladder in a cedar tree. 3 does came in behind me. Wind was clearly from them to me. Standing stock still one old sow started snorting. She’d seen me even through the cedar tree. Next day I headed to a different stand. Checked a cam on my way to the tree to find a nice young 8 point had been there less than an hour before I arrived. I got to the ladder and started up. Got about halfway when I glanced over my shoulder and there was that 8 point laying in a tree top 75 yards away with his eyes closed sound asleep. I got up and situated. Hung my pack and pulled up my bow. Everything was fine til 5 mins later. That buck opened his eyes, looked around, and even from that distance I saw his eyes bug out when he saw me. He got up with his tail tucked and slipped around the tree top the opposite way. Didn’t realize what was going on til I got home and night and realized I had been wearing the wrong bibs. Got the right ones out and had no more problems. That uv crap is for real

·
6,619 Posts
Wash clothes in free n clear, put them in a tote with cedar limbs and a box of baking soda. And play the wind

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,571 Posts
share away, always looking to learn!
Just for 20. Rest of you can scroll past... Suck it Trapper.

First I run two cycles of scent free detergent to clean out the wash machine with double rinse.

Then I’ll wash small loads of my hunting clothes in a cold/cold cycle in the scent free detergent.

I take each piece outside and hang it under the awning to air dry for a day or two.

Then I’ll spray each one day with scent killer and let it air dry for another day.

Then they all go into two different totes. Early season/ late season with earth tone scents.

Before the hunt I will take a scent free shower, and then when I get to the farm I strip down and spray down.

Then I dress, and spray down one more time.

I have two different sets of boots as well that stay in the totes and are only used to walk to and from the stand, and hunt in.

Never hunt the wrong wind, and every entry/ exit route is cut and cleared for maximum stealth.

It may sound like a lot, but once you get the routine down it doesn’t take much.

I’ve had pretty okay results so I’ll keep it goin I suppose.

Reactions: 20' and rat

·
1,505 Posts
I wash in free and clear or other scent free detergent.

I have a portable large scent crusher bag that plugs into the 12Volt in the truck. I'll run it for 30 minutes on the drive to the spot. Change out once I get there, spray down one more time, and play the wind as best as possible. Climb high and wear rubber boots. In marginal wind, I may hang a cover scent or a scent band on my boots walking in.

·
Registered
31,564 Posts
I walk through an automatic car wash.

·
Under appreciated
89,149 Posts
Just for 20. Rest of you can scroll past... Suck it Trapper.

First I run two cycles of scent free detergent to clean out the wash machine with double rinse.

Then I’ll wash small loads of my hunting clothes in a cold/cold cycle in the scent free detergent.

I take each piece outside and hang it under the awning to air dry for a day or two.

Then I’ll spray each one day with scent killer and let it air dry for another day.

Then they all go into two different totes. Early season/ late season with earth tone scents.

Before the hunt I will take a scent free shower, and then when I get to the farm I strip down and spray down.

Then I dress, and spray down one more time.

I have two different sets of boots as well that stay in the totes and are only used to walk to and from the stand, and hunt in.

Never hunt the wrong wind, and every entry/ exit route is cut and cleared for maximum stealth.

It may sound like a lot, but once you get the routine down it doesn’t take much.

I’ve had pretty okay results so I’ll keep it goin I suppose.
Nothing at all wrong with diligence around scent control. I do some of the same thing.

I tell my wife to not use fabric softener for a couple of loads of laundry before I was my stuff. I have a couple totes dedicated. I have boots dedicated.
I take a shower before but I get dressed and walk out the door because I am already on the farm I hunt.
I am always hunting the right wind and all of my stands have easy entry exits for the most part

Good on you jawesome.

Reactions: jawesome357

·
Over There
8,768 Posts

Any man made product leaves a man made scent, not sure why people don't understand that. The bigger question is why will a deer walk in your yard without a care(where you've walked countless times) but get spooked in a field or woods. My guess is that it's an uncommon/common thing. I cut a path that follows a creek bed this year that will hopefully eliminate some of those issues(other than at crossings). Who knows....

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,882 Posts
Any man made product leaves a man made scent, not sure why people don't understand that. The bigger question is why will a deer walk in your yard without a care(where you've walked countless times) but get spooked in a field or woods. My guess is that it's an uncommon/common thing. I cut a path that follows a creek bed this year that will hopefully eliminate some of those issues(other than at crossings). Who knows....

I believe conditioning has a lot to do with it. We spend a lot of time on our farm throughout the year, all times of year. I do believe that helps them to not get as spooked when they smell us throughout hunting season.

To BYB;s point, Been several years ago, but I used to keep my hunting clothes in the same room my wife's sugar gliders are in. On an evening hunt, I walked across the neighbors cattle pasture to one of my stands. Primarily walked a cattle trail. That night, I watched 4 different coyotes cross my trail in & walk right to my stand, nose on the ground. They didn't run from the scent trail, they followed it. All I can figure, they smelled the sugar gliders & came to investigate. Was an expensive night with broken/lost arrows. Got drawn on 2 of them.

·
Under appreciated
89,149 Posts
This is true.
Its also like the age old discussion about whether or not a deer can distinguish between cigarette smoke and a campfire.

Maybe the can, maybe they cant but I used to hunt with some folks that would smoke their clothes the night before as a cover scent. I guess cigarettes and cigars smell different but whether a deer can distinguish, I have no idea.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts