Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to hear everyones personal scent control and eradication methods.

Obviously knowing movement and being able to set up for wind are top strategies BUT we all have been burnt by a buck that seems to be 1 step ahead of us.

What is your go to?

I have already washed my gear, twice and hung dry in my field. Washed first time with scent control stuff and then just water on the second one. Cut some small cedar branches to stick in tote as my property is full of them. I do store my tote in the garage and I believe that does hinder what I do as the tote is not air tight. Maybe that is how I can improve my scent control.

I use dead down wind spray and last year purchased an Ozone thingy. I thought a few times it worked out well for me.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,905 Posts
Nothing but the wind & hunting as high as I can. I do wear rubber boots though. I occassionally get busted, but I like the luxury of getting off work, throwing on some camo & heading to the stand.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,510 Posts
I smoke good quality cigars, I think the deer can tell when you are sucking on a rello, and it's a amateur move.

Seriously though, while I do some minor scent control stuff, like washing my clothes in scent free detergent, etc...

I understand, that I am never going to fool a deers nose. Hunt the wind, higher is better, and concealment in your stand, don't be sticking out like a sore thumb because when they are close they will pick off the movement just as fast as your stink. Double Trunk/triple trunk trees, really fat oaks with limbs at the seat level, etc.

Believing that you can fool a deers nose is foolish. :D

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,510 Posts
Nothing but the wind & hunting as high as I can. I do wear rubber boots though. I occassionally get busted, but I like the luxury of getting off work, throwing on some camo & heading to the stand.
When you get picked off, is it because they detect your movement, or scent most often....? I try to do a good job hunting right wind direction, and I get picked off moving probably more than scent. Those suckers can pick off movement from a long way off.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I smoke good quality cigars, I think the deer can tell when you are sucking on a rello, and it's a amateur move.

Seriously though, while I do some minor scent control stuff, like washing my clothes in scent free detergent, etc...

I understand, that I am never going to fool a deers nose. Hunt the wind, higher is better, and concealment in your stand, don't be sticking out like a sore thumb because when they are close they will pick off the movement just as fast as your stink. Double Trunk/triple trunk trees, really fat oaks with limbs at the seat level, etc.

Believing that you can fool a deers nose is foolish. :D
My problem is I am a sweater. Even in cold weather. I run hot.

I am not a big height guy either so I have a couple things that work against me.

But of course, I do play the wind as meticulously as I can.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hunt the wind, the rest is moot. I do store my clothes in a pelican case with a few scent wafers cedar in it. You cannot eliminate your scent, it is not possible. A bigger issue to me is getting to and from the stand with as little disturbance as possible.
Agree. Our small 40 is more of a longer strip than an exact square and of course my favorite spot to hunt it is the southwest corner, aka the furthest point from entry. Have to sneak the fence line.

The public land we hunt is around 3/4 a mile walk in to the first stand and do not worry about disturbance as much there.

·
Registered
22,585 Posts
hunt the wind, but deer tend to come from all directions, scent free as possible, and not afraid to say i utilize ozonics. I tend not to climb nearly as high as i used to, losing my edge!

I do like to wash a load of towles scet free first and run through the dryer as well.

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
Do yourself a favor if you are buying fancy scent free laundry liquid and just buy and free and clear brand you find at the grocery store. Virtually no difference except the price.

I cannot bring myself to hunt a bad wind no matter how many scent wafers and cedar branches I stuff down my pants or whatnot.

·
Registered
22,585 Posts
Do yourself a favor if you are buying fancy scent free laundry liquid and just buy and free and clear brand you find at the grocery store. Virtually no difference except the price.

I cannot bring myself to hunt a bad wind no matter how many scent wafers and cedar branches I stuff down my pants or whatnot.
agree witgh the fragrane free detergent.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,905 Posts
When you get picked off, is it because they detect your movement, or scent most often....? I try to do a good job hunting right wind direction, and I get picked off moving probably more than scent. Those suckers can pick off movement from a long way off.

Usually scent from swirling winds. Occasionally a creaking stand when they're in tight.

My stands are incredibly well blended. My hang ons are above 20'. I select trees that are at least shoulder width. Preferably multi trunked at the level of the stand with a large limb or trunk close enough for me to use as concealment. It's really rare I'm caught moving about. Even from afar, because I don't move a lot & when I do, its slow & intentional. Head swivels first to scan before repositioning my body.

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
I think stand placement is critical also. I see a lot of folks putting ladder stands right on the edge of the field, stickking out like a bottle of wine in a cooler full of beers.

I'll admit making that mistake before and then lamenting not seeing any deer.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,905 Posts

One other thing that's often overlooked. UV brighteners that are in many laundry detergents. They make your clothes glow to wildlife, especially close to dark. Ever had a squirrel pick you off from afar, even with slow intentional movement? That's UV brighteners causing that.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,510 Posts
Usually scent from swirling winds. Occasionally a creaking stand when they're in tight.

My stands are incredibly well blended. My hang ons are above 20'. I select trees that are at least shoulder width. Preferably multi trunked at the level of the stand with a large limb or trunk close enough for me to use as concealment. It's really rare I'm caught moving about. Even from afar, because I don't move a lot & when I do, its slow & intentional. Head swivels first to scan before repositioning my body.
All of my archery stands are very concealed now a days. Been a very long time since I was picked off for movement. At least by a deer I actually wanted to kill...... That's one of those live and learn lessons that I think you almost have to go through, before you start getting it. People will fall in love with a trail crossing or something, and there will not be a great tree for the stand, but the stick it there anyway. I don't do that anymore. I won't hang a stand where I don't feel I can get away with some movement at close quarters. I've even hung camo netting on the shooting rails of stands to help conceal me.

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
One other thing that's often overlooked. UV brighteners that are in many laundry detergents. They make your clothes glow to wildlife, especially close to dark. Ever had a squirrel pick you off from afar, even with slow intentional movement? That's UV brighteners causing that.
Most if not all of those free and clear laundry detergents are free of UV brighteners too, but thats a good point.

·
Triple Creek Hunter
699 Posts
I have multiple stands setup to play different winds. Never hunt a stand with wrong wind if I can help it. On occasion get busted when wind changes direction or swirls. Keep my clothes clean, use scent control. I generally shower just ahead of going out. At very least wipe down with baking soda. All of above works for me.

·
13,774 Posts
I always play the wind but I think the smell coming off your pants and boots are just as much detrimental to being detected.

Just last year I was walking across a pasture to my stand, I crossed a valley and when I got to the top I looked around and saw a doe and a couple fawns walking along the bottom of the valley, When they got to where I crossed, they stopped and looked around, turned and went back the way they came. Have seen whitetails and mule deer do that.

then, there is the Do I walk across the open field with the wind at my back, so I have a narrow scent area but am silohutteed or do I walk along the creek where I am not silohutted but have my scent blowing along the creek.

·
Don't mind me
9,429 Posts
Just last year I was walking across a pasture to my stand, I crossed a valley and when I got to the top I looked around and saw a doe and a couple fawns walking along the bottom of the valley, When they got to where I crossed, they stopped and looked around, turned and went back the way they came. Have seen whitetails and mule deer do that.
I've watched this happen the next day after I walked in to a stand.
I think that's why when you overhunt a stand you see less and less deer. It's the damage of what happens after you leave and deer continue to smell your scent trail you keep leaving every time you walk in.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've watched this happen the next day after I walked in to a stand.
I think that's why when you overhunt a stand you see less and less deer. It's the damage of what happens after you leave and deer continue to smell your scent trail you keep leaving every time you walk in.
I wear rubber boots and spray the bottom of the boots with raccoon urine. I have watched deer cut my trail and never give it a second look at it. Been doing this for over thirty years and have never had a problem. I also spray it on the foliage around my stand and have had deer come in from down wind of me and never bust me.
Mark

1 - 20 of 45 Posts