scenario for those of you in the thin the does camp.

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by pinwheel, Nov 1, 2010.

1. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Yesterday morning, I seen a doe with triplets. She was being dogged by 2 shooter bucks. Unfortunately, she was 90 yds away & going & took them with her.

Last night, I set cliffhanger up not far from where I believe they bedded for the day. The bucks didn't materialize, but the doe & triplets did. Turns out, all 3 of the triplets, were button bucks. Please explain to me again why you say I'm supposed to take her outta the herd? Something about & more intense chase phase because there's fewer does for them to choose from? :pop:

With the chasing I've seen this year already, I don't think I could stand it if the chase phase was more intense than this.:D [file]145002[/file]

2. Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    I would say you have the ideal program. I would not change a thing Randy.

:cheers:

3. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Active Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    I couldn't agree more. I like havin a bunch of does around.

4. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1873405&tid=130475&author=Ghost Hunter]I would say you have the ideal program. I would not change a thing Randy.

:cheers:[/rquote]

Bob was hunting from your spot Dave. He said he also had a coyote 5 yds from him but got winded before he could shoot.

5. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

Interesting scenario. Maybe thayer could chime in and tell us some facts................other than that I have seen far less deer this year compared to last year. Not sure what the deal is. Does will probably get a pass unless they pile in like last year once the temps dropped

6. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    i had one a old doe did triplets buttons for years.she was my favorite girl:cheers:

7. Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    [rquote=1873407&tid=130475&author=pinwheel][rquote=1873405&tid=130475&author=Ghost Hunter]I would say you have the ideal program. I would not change a thing Randy.

:cheers:[/rquote]

Bob was hunting from your spot Dave. He said he also had a coyote 5 yds from him but got winded before he could shoot.[/rquote]

Cant wait- the old gal will live if I encounter her.

:cheers:

8. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I in the thin the does out because i like deer meet.

Up where we lease at the deer density is 66 deer per square mile rt now.

I know some areas not neat does thind out.

I do know if there is less does then the bucks have to activly search for does and it makes for a more visuale rut, and also the rut works like anture intends; the stronger bucks getting the breeding done. Not the dink maels getting there sub genetics past on.

I wonder if once a doe has triplets if she will have tripslets every year.

9. MizzouAg

MizzouAg New Member

Pinwheel not all situations are created equal. Not everyone needs to nor should they thin the doe herd. You put very little pressure on bucks and as a result probably have a pretty good sex ratio. Additionally you are not currently concerned about deer numbers causing crop damage. Therefore in your situation high doe harvest isn't warranted. Although to maintain the sex ratio it would be good to take as many does as bucks from you local area. That may not be just you but you and the neighbors overall. It's all about what your goal is harvest more does if you think you have plenty or fewer if you'd like to see more deer.

Much of the rutting activity dogma associated with doe harvest started in the south under very different environmental conditions and harvest pressure than north Missouri and for that matter much of the Midwest.

It's not about shooting does just to shoot does. One must have a goal in mind and understand what doe harvest is appropriate to meet that goal.

10. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    [rquote=1873505&tid=130475&author=Longbow26]
    [/rquote]

:eek::eek::eek:

That's almost 10 deer per acre!!!

:bowing::bowing::bowing:

EDIT by JMAC: I am DUMB.

11. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    [rquote=1873538&tid=130475&author=JMAC][rquote=1873505&tid=130475&author=Longbow26]
    [/rquote]

:bowing::bowing::bowing:[/rquote]

66 per square mile, would be 1 deer per 10 acres.

12. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Active Member

[rquote=1873538&tid=130475&author=JMAC][rquote=1873505&tid=130475&author=Longbow26]
    [/rquote]

:bowing::bowing::bowing:[/rquote]

One deer every 10 acres. 640 acres=square mile

13. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Yeah, I know. I'm dumb. :D Thought about it and tried to get back on here and fix my stupidity but y'all are fast! :stickfight:

I've been at work all night. :whinging:

That's my excuse and I'm stickin to it. :peepwall:

14. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    I'd like to know where that info comes from. Last I heard, Macon county led the state at 33 deer psm.

15. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    maybe you should start a save the doe program so everyone can see triplet buck fawns:D Maybe if that doe was already gone those shooter bucks would have cruised by your stand and you put an arrow into one:cheers:

you know what your goals are for your property and have the power to control them. Believe I am not all for killing all does! some of the properties I am fortunate to hunt need a ton shot and pothers need zero shot,IMO of course.

16. olshep

olshep New Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Antonia, Mo.
    Over the last 3 years, the doe numbers on my hunting ground appear to have dropped by almost 75%. I only know of 3 taken in the last 3 years. In the past it wasn't unusual to see anywhere from 6-20 in the alfalfa every evening. I haven't seen any since early August.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    We haven't seen hardly any deer this year, and it's getting worse every year and I don't know why. I won't be shooting any does this year with my rifle, might get 1 with my bow if it's a big ol doe just to break my 18yr streak. Bucks only from here, of course unless the kids get one in their sights.

18. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I'm with PW on this one...:eek::

19. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Does are for doe season and bow season. :D:D