Scat near the trap

Discussion in 'Trapping/Furbearing' started by Keef, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    I know people put coyote/bobcat scat near traps to lure them in closer. A couple of us were discussing whether this would work with your pet dog's poop.

I realize the diet and scat of coyotes would be different than a house dog, but I wonder if the presence and obvious eye appeal of the scat would out weigh the difference in scent.

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but I thought I'd ask some of you experienced trappers.

2. beardsNspurs78

beardsNspurs78 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    I know guys that have cleaned out their cats litter box for attractant when trapping bobs. I dont know why it wouldn't work for K9's too. You take a dog out to the woods and first thing he'll do is start marking every tree and bush and yotes still come back into that area. I've even heard of some guys purposefully taking their dogs to the woods when scouting an area cuz their dog will show them alot of locations for urine post sets. Of course thats prob more for beginners as seasoned trappers dont need as much direction. I also know guys will find poop and put it in little plastic bags and take it from one property to use as attractant at another property. That is what I would probably do before using a house dogs.

3. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    I saw Mark June's DVD and he moved coyote poop from one area to another. He said coyotes are territorial and it worked to draw them into a site to mark it again against any competition.

WBF likes this.
  4. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    I have a jar of turds I pick up from every catch. When I reset at other locations, I plop one down. On another note, I think I caught the yote that's been leaving a turd on my trap for the last month last night, here in Indiana. I've got 4 yotes in the last 3 days...

5. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Rob you've definitely got it going. What's the count so far?

6. truehunter

truehunter Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Try dropping your own turds by the trap . Maybe you could catch a Sasquatch. Just be careful it might hurt if it snaps tight on your boys , lol

7. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle

WBF likes this.
  8. Timo

Timo Active Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Hickory co, Mo
    I gather scat from different locals and place it near a set for guiding. Skirt some urine on it to dehydrate is dry..

bverboy likes this.
  9. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    Make that 21!

10. bverboy

bverboy Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    lincoln county
    keef, to answer your question yes, use it... yotes are territorial..........they will kill fido in a heat beat if he wanders into the wrong neighborhood.........

11. Steelman

Steelman Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Once the coyotes start working your traps, a lot of times they will leave a pile within several feet of your set. I always pick them and use them at my other sets. I also find them when I'm walking down some of the 4 wheeler trails and pick them up too. Always keep a couple of ziplock bags in your pocket.

Forgot to ask, how do you like those MB-550's compared to the Duke #3's?

12. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Let's just wave and not shake on it. :D

13. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    My wife is so proud of me when I get out my peanut butter jar full of turds at a catch and add to my treasure.

thwackaddict likes this.
  14. henry

Please tell me you carry tongs. :D

15. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    Of course not, I use a turd fork.

16. henry

Don't mix it up with the second fork at the dinner table. :eek:

17. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Steelman, I didn't get to use the 550s but for a short period. They are definitely better built and I like the night latch it comes with. Overall I like them. I've got to adjust the pan tension this summer, they're too heavy for me. I'd guess 4-5 pounds. I'd like it lighter than that.

18. Steelman

Steelman Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I always have my leather gloves with me at the farm :D it's a proven fact that turds actually have no "clean" end to pick them up by.:D

19. henry

I just always took that as fact and felt no need to prove it. Lol

20. thwackaddict

thwackaddict Senior Member

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    What is that 5 second rule??? If it lands on the ground, and is there longer than 5 seconds, it's not dirty anymore?