Scary Stuff - Check the little things

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by beagleboy6, Nov 11, 2010.

1. beagleboy6

beagleboy6 New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Bates County
    This should serve as a good reminder to check ALL of your equipment, even the little things.

Had a pretty good scare this evening. I dropped by wife off this afternoon about 1 PM to go hunting. Took her to a spot her car wouldn't make it to and she doesn't like to drive my truck.

Left the house about 20 minutes before quitting time to pick her up. I was headed up the lane to get her when she call.

She fell. She was using my climber cause it is a little lighter than her's, but mine is much older.

She was headed down the tree then the bottom part of the stand slipped off her feet. It dropped a little, tried to get her feet back in the stirrups and put some weight on the bottom to try and get it adjusted again. When she put weight on the bottom, the tether rope between the top and bottom broke. The bottom fell the rest of the way.

She wears a harness, but not while climbing. She was lucky at the tether caught on the bow holder and stopped her from hitting the ground. I knew where she was and got to her as quick as I could. She was far enough down the tree I was able to reach her with no problems and pick her up. Helped her get on down from the tree.

She will be ok. I am sure she will be sore for a couple of days and will have some good bruises, lucky it is nothing worse.

If I would have checked the tether between the top and bottom of the climber and if I taught her to use a linemans loop when climbing, this could have been avoided.

Just keep in mind to check the little things too. Even without the using a loop while climbing, this could have been avoided if I would have checked the tether.

2. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Active Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    Glad she's ok. Could have been much worse.

3. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Close call is right...glad she's ok.

I spent nearly 100 hours in treestands over the last three weeks and while I wore a safety harness the whole time I should pull my stands down and check them over good......I'll put that on my list of things to do.

4. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

:eek: I hope it doesn't deter Her from Hunting any more?Glad to hear she is alright,kinda scary to think it could have been a lot worse....She's very lucky! :thinking: :bowing: :praying:

5. ImADoeBuster

ImADoeBuster New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Jefferson City
    Glad to hear she is ok and thank God it wasnt worse than it was!

6. mag1

mag1 New Member

Glad she is alright, that IS a scary thing. Good reminder to all.

7. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Man, I'm glad to hear the little lady is gonna be alright. Sure coulda been a lot worse. :claphands::claphands:

8. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Whoooooo, that was close! The little things are usually the ones that get us! Glad she is ok!

9. RAGENTHECAGE

RAGENTHECAGE Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    MOBERLY MO
    Glad to hear she is ok

10. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    Good to hear she is OK, but a lineman's isn't what she should be using. You want to use a prussic knot set up which the Harness's tether strap connects to. You keep the prussic knot setup stays above your shoulders at all times. You lower or raise it as you go. This prevents the climber from falling hardly any distance at all.

A line mans rope isn't going to do much to arrest a fall, well not nearly as well as a prussic knot system.

11. Z7shooter237

Z7shooter237 Member

Sep 29, 2010
    very scary glad she is ok

12. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    Glad to hear she is ok

13. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    Glad to hear she didn't get seriously hurt.

14. Detrhoyt

Detrhoyt Horny D

Oct 26, 2008
    Work
    Glad she's okay, man. Hope she can get back out there, with some good excitement instead of bad next time!:cheers:

15. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    You couldnt give me a truck load of those climbing stands.Pluss you can hear a guy climbing with them for 100 yards.

16. Dan glad to hear she will be okay. Tell her I said hello! Will be coming to see ya if I get a DANDY!

BTH

17. dpd925

dpd925 Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Glad she's okay, thanks for posting the story

18. chasin

chasin New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Miller Field N Endzone
    Great reminder of the first priority of anything.....SAFETY! Glad she's ok.

19. CLIFFHANGER

CLIFFHANGER Active Member

[rquote=1892554&tid=131813&author=pinwheel]Man, I'm glad to hear the little lady is gonna be alright. Sure coulda been a lot worse. :claphands::claphands:[/rquote]

X2
    :thinking: Thats some scary stuff for anyone

20. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi