SC Program to get hunters to go after Coyotes

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Wooddust, Dec 23, 2017.

1. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

That's a good idea. They need to create the same shoot on sight culture states west of the Mississippi did with bounties. We just had this discussion a couple weeks ago at the farm. Can you imagine how many coyotes are killed every year during our deer seasons. That's what these expansion states need to keep the numbers in check.

2. Wooddust

Wooddust Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2003
    But remember if you kill a predator two others will have more to eat and will have more pups. So killing one adds 3-4 more to the population.

3. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Read your history book. We dang near wiped the wolves and grizzly bears off the earth and probably would have if they wouldn’t of protected them.

4. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
  5. henry

Then someone shoots 3 or 4 more the following year until a balance is reached :D. Especially in these expanding populations limited resources aren't limiting reproduction. What limits numbers is people performing coyote abortions 6 months after the fetus leaves the womb or sooner if possible. Lol

6. henry

Yes. And that was because of a shoot on sight culture combined with wide spread efforts to eradicate them. Wooddust was being sarcastic. The SC biologists have figured out they need to promote widespread heavy harvest like Missouri has to keep numbers in check.

7. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Why did MDC have to bring back deer, turkey, river otter?
    They tell me years ago we had buffalo, elk , bears and Mountain lions.
    Where did they go? Kaboom is where they went.
    If raccoons would of stayed $35 average when the dog proof traps came about they might of got wiped out too.

8. henry

Exactly. It's amazing some people can't comprehend the difference between trying to control numbers in a small area and widespread heavy harvest. Completely different things. SC is trying to promote the latter. I imagine it will help along with the sale of a bunch of truck guns for farmers and other outdoor past timers. :D

9. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    The only time killing yotes help individual farms is late spring.

10. beardsNspurs78

beardsNspurs78 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    Without a doubt

11. Wooddust

Wooddust Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2003
    why is that

henry likes this.
  12. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
  13. deerdown

deerdown John 3:15

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't know Hawk - some of the studies I can't grasp...I can understand if the article you reference are speaking about shooting 1 or 2. But, If you shoot 10, 7 are resident, and 3 are transient per the averages they used. They also say, if you are shooting just transients, you aren't doing any good, but for sake of argument, say I shoot 10, are there 7 transients going to move in? What if half were female. Are half of the transients that move in going to be female?
    Use of averages just makes it hard to believe that in real world stuff, If you shoot 10, you'll impact the population. I think it's more in the numbers. if you shoot 1 or 2, nada, if you shoot 50, you'll have 50 transients move in, within a 3 week period? or even 3 months in time for mating season?

Here's some of the verbiage that caught my eye...

“For every 10 coyotes you remove, three were just passing through,” Chamberlain says. “And if you’re removing transients, you’re not really having any effect.” Shooting the occasional coyote really makes no difference in what happens to the deer herd." He talks about shooting 10, but then says if you removed only transients.......using his averages, shooting the 7 resident, he implies it does have an effect......

"Kip Adams, director of education and outreach for the Quality Deer Management Association, agrees, adding that the timing of coyote removal is likely more important than the number of coyotes removed." = the word likely to me means unsubstantiated......

Maybe I just want an excuse to shoot them now and believe it'll make a difference ...:elmer:

14. henry

That study is based on trying to remove coyotes from a relatively small area and doesn't address the impact state wide harvest pressure has on a stated coyote population. What they are saying pertains to how effective it might be on an individual property.

15. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    They are saying that shooting a transient doesnt impact your property because it doesnt live there and highly likely wont be there during nesting or fawn drop. Killing residents CAN have an impact, but its VERY short lived, as in a few weeks as the article states. Screenshot_20171223-161227.jpg 20171223_161347.png

Good question.

I dont think many peoplw would have 50 on thwir ground unless they owned massive acreage. And given that home ranges are small, you would have to impact a very large area to have any hope of an impact. As thw article states, SC and othwr states have tries trapping on largw scales and had little impact, and Im sure they removes tons of coyotes.

Likely is biologists speak. They rarely will paint themselves into a corner by saying "always" or "definitely".

What is substantiated is that no state has found an effective way to manage coyotes thru trapping, hunting, bounties, etc. What you can do is focus on the period immediately before and during turkey nesting and deer fawning amd hammer yotes then. Then you will have a lower population while your poults and fawns are vulnerable.

And no one needs an excuse to shoot em. I shot 4 during firearms season. Its fun, but I dont believe shooting yotes in Nov and Dec is helping anything in june ....

16. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    And just to clarify..... they are absolutely 100% talking about statewide harbest pressure and trapping programs on a state level, etc. Thats why they say those havent worked...
    20171223_161347.png

17. henry

Some people will never get it. Those of us with a little walking around sense know that if you quit killing 10s of thousand of coyotes in a state the population will explode and you will have problems like these states that haven't adapted to killing them at high rates yet.

Maddog3355 likes this.
  18. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Some people just dont understand that these other states shoot coyotes just as often as we do. Theyve spent millions on trapping programs, bounties, etc... killed tons of yotes and had virtually no impact.

People that dont listen to the researchers are simply science deniers.

Wooddust likes this.
  19. henry

That mindset spread out over a large number of people is why our yote population stays fairly stable. So it does make a difference. Your not denying science. You just aren't trying to make it say something it doesn't.