Savage B-Mag .17 WSM

Discussion in 'Predators' started by jafergesen, Jan 5, 2018.

1. jafergesen

jafergesen Member

Dec 8, 2014
    I'm looking at getting a Savage B-Mag rifle as the .17 WSM round intrigues me for calling bobcats and shooting other varmints, as well as for plinking and target shooting. Anyone have one? What do you like/dislike about it? Has anyone shot a bobcat with this round and if so how did it perform? Any info is greatly appreciated.
  2. vipershooter

vipershooter Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    I suggest that you get your hands on one and look it over before you buy one. I looked at the B-mag, but the bolt was so hard to manipulate that I passed.

3. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Yea savage just about doomed Winchesters new round with such a crappy rifle
  4. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    If you buy one, buy as much ammo for it as you think you'll ever use.
  5. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member mentioned the Savage B-mag is made very cheaply,the Bull Barrel B-mag is a little better the other Companies that make the B-mag are pretty expensive.

I'd find a nice .22 Hornet or even the .17 Hornet.
    glennasher1 likes this.
  6. BCarroll

BCarroll Active Member

Jun 29, 2009
    cass county
    I have a savage b mag heavy barrel first one I had to get sent back the light barrel rifle. It's a fun little round no doubt but wish the gun was bit different the bolt function sucks. I have yet to kill a coyote or bobcat with it but sure is fun on prairie dogs.
  7. remington2225

remington2225 Active Member

Aug 16, 2014
    I would get a cz527 in 17 hornet. Fast round will kill yotes out to about 300 yds and very little fur damage on fox size animals. The cz 527 is a accurate rifle and with the set trigger you can’t go wrong. Plus you can reload the 17 hornet.
  8. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I'd just buy a 223. cheap, effective, light fur damage, not terrible on noise, no recoil.

I just use my son's youth 243 for coyote hunting with 80 grain Winchesters. Lightweight, handles fast, shoots as far as I could ever want to try.
    Maddog3355 likes this.
  9. kcangler84

kcangler84 Senior Member

Apr 4, 2009
    South of KC
    Ruger makes a pretty good 17 wsm rifle.