Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought one in .243 last Feb. shot good but about a month ago I shot it got a bullet stuck in the bbl. next shot case blew up and rurined the bolt face, plunger extractor,firing pin etc. sent it to Savage got it back yesterday. Went to the range a while ago and it shot better than ever. on the fifth shot the case blew, primer backed out and case is stuck in chamber. Boult inees to be rebuilt again and rifle headspaced. I'm tired of the hassel. If some one wants it to use for a special project, I will let it go for 150.00 as is plus postage. (you can get different bbls from Mid-way for 129.00) I still have the box all the papers and warrenty card etc. I'm done with it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I've been loading for about 50 yrs. I have used this load in about 10 different .243's with no problems. 43 grn of imr 4350 and Hornady 100 grain. Most 5 books call for 43.5 even hornady and Winchester.:mad:

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Better buy some NEW loading manuals! That load is 2.5 grains OVER max in the latest Hornady books. Powders ain't static, they change formulations over the years, and the new manuals reflect that. Your load is TOO HOT.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
sounded like high pressure to me glenn.
no offense intended bear, over pressured my 11-87 once because of a stupid
mistake.
a word to the wise, when reloading, check, and check again.
after that check again.
be safe.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
He missed rule #1, always start low, and work your way up. Rules 2-10 don't mean squat if you don't do #1. The new ways they measure pressure mean lower loads now, too, as the older loads were hotter than they should have been. It doesn't matter if the first ten rifles liked that load, if #11 blows up in your face (TWICE!!!!!!):neuspeuter:

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
You could, beanpile, but you'd have to replace the bolt head (not hard) since the .243 boltface(.473) is larger than the .223s .378" boltface. With anything BUT a Savage, you'd be up the creek. Savage's design allows such a swap-out, with the correct parts (Midway sells them, among others).

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
I am quickly becoming a Savage fan...

Only have two right now, but pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Originally posted by rat
I am quickly becoming a Savage fan...

Only have two right now, but pleasantly surprised.
I have the savage 10FP LE 308 and luv it! Im shooting shilloutes at 1/2 mile with it and thats with south african millitary surplus ammo. Savage has come along way and is a major competitor anymore. :sniper:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No offence at all guys ! Us old goats sometimes need to relearn things over again. Now I have a new starting point. I checked all my load books last night and 43 to 43.5 keeps poping up. But I'm not that hard headed. So I'm going to buy a new load book today and some brass also another .243. (I just think this one is cursed) I'm not a rich guy but I want something I have confidence in.
I sold the rifle to a guy who likes to tinker and he is going to turn it into a .358 win. (my favorite bear rifle) and he can do the work himself. The bolt parts were only 7.59 I also gave him a set of .358 win dies 4 boxes of bullets and 100 new cases. I wouldn't cheat anyone and I'm trying to coax him into going bear hunting with me next Spring. I need a partner, I'm getting too old to make the trip alone. Thanks for all your imput, I do appreciate it !

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got back from Dunn's in Pevely. I think the problem might be solved. I got an imr powder guide and it does list 43.5 as a max, I use 43, so no overload. The brass was old and brittle, bought some new stuff. Then we looked at my powder scale. It was very dirty at the balance point and between notches. We checked before and after cleaning. My scale was sticking. Now it measures the same as the new ones we checked it aganist.
Now to get another .243, I'm going to buy another Savage/stevens 200. I just wanted a cheap gun to tote in my truck while checking the farm, I see coyotes and sometimes a deer (in season)
Sure appreciate all your hepfuf info. it is through such discourse that one learns. No one knows it all but you put it all togather maybe an answer can be found. Thanks again !:cheers:

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, you should start at 10% below maximum, since not all rifles will take the same charges with impunity. No point in getting hurt. BTW, Hornady's manual says 40.8 for a MAXIMUM LOAD, so if you're using their bullets, be cautious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.