Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like as good as place as any to ask this...

Whose been there before? We are camping there this spring and I have heard good things about this place. With the St. Francious and Big Creek running through it sounds like we should have a lot of fun fishing and playing in the water.

Anyone have any thing good or bad to add about this place?

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Sam A. Baker is a super nice park and the scenery is awesome. They have nice little cabins that you can rent. I have inlaws that live in Piedmont just up 34 from the park. And brother in laws property boarders up to the park. The Lodge (restruant in the park) has great food also.

While your in the area check out Elephant Rocks, The Shut-ins (f they are open after the dam broke)and then jump over to Alley Springs. You'll have a great time:cheers:

MoBowman ```---------->

·
Registered
116 Posts
I camped there (primitive) a few years ago and it was very nice. It was quiet and scenic. One thing I remember is how big it was - lots of campsites to choose from and not very many people there. It is a great area, although that dam break above the shut-ins messed that up pretty bad.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
yep sam a baker is a real nice park,good fishing too,the lodge has good food and there is a bar right outside the park thats great food and cheap prices too,just dont tell the locals their ugly...they dont like that:D

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sam Baker is a great park to camp/hike/fish/etc. One thing you need to remember though, if you fish there before the end of May, don't keep any bass. Bass season in streams isn't open till the end of May and both Big creek and St. Francois river are under the regulation.:cheers:

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, we are tent camping with a site already reserved. Fishing we all be catch and release. We may head to the lodge for a meal though.

Our days will constist mostly of water based fun, fishing and all around exploring. Does the Big Creek have nice sized fishable pools?

Wanna get my boys into so fun small stream fishing for bass, goggle eye, and general sunfish.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
That sounds like a great vacation.
Make sure you bring back plenty of pics.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deer-Slayer man that sounds perfect. As far as gar goes, may have some fun snagging em, but I'd rather fight bass.

I will take pics for sure

·
Registered
786 Posts
Don't snag the gar---it's way more fun to catch them on a hook!
When deer_slayer and I were there we fished above the 143 bridge on Big Creek. Take a small sunfish and hook him just under the dorsal fin to keep him alive and cast him out with a baseball sized bobber to mid stream. When one of those 20"-30" gar grabs him hang on for a blast of a fight!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Cooyon, Back from NOLA
4,640 Posts
We were there two weeks ago in campground 1 with the boat launch. Several of us stayed there in our travel trailers, even with the rain. Didn't catch any fish with the water rising. We had breakfast at the resturant and well worth the visit. The shower house in campground 1 is very nice. Park rangers keep things quiet. We will be going back, very nice park.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.