Safety Harness Questions...

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Chris Russell, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Chris Russell

Chris Russell Senior Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Nixa, MO
    I am seriously thinking about spending the money and buying one of the MUDDY Harnesses..... I like the thought of thin and quick. The HSS systems are big and bulky right?

What are some of your thoughts....

What are some of your set ups....

I have always used the freebies that come with stands, but they are not very easy to put on and not sure about a harness built to minimum standards.

You know what they say its not if you fall but when you fall?

Thanks gang...

[file]143069[/file]

2. 160983

160983 Guest

that doesnt look much different then my HSS.:shrug:

3. Bow Jangles

Bow Jangles New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Platte County
    You will love the Muddy harness. Super easy to get on, doesn't tangle, it's very lightweight and comfortable, and it works as a built in bino chest harness. We use them for the show and I'd very happily use one if Muddy wasn't our sponsor.

I've heard good things about some of the others too and actually have an old HSS vest. I like the Muddy a lot better.

4. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    [rquote=1863602&tid=129766&author=Jusadog]that doesnt look much different then my HSS.:shrug:[/rquote]
    Same here, the one with the recall 'cause of faulty carabiners. :stickfight:

5. 160983

160983 Guest

[rquote=1863614&tid=129766&author=Wings Fan 19][rquote=1863602&tid=129766&author=Jusadog]that doesnt look much different then my HSS.:shrug:[/rquote]
    Same here, the one with the recall 'cause of faulty carabiners. :stickfight:[/rquote]

Interesting. I have carabiners on my lineman's strap but none on my harness. Will look into it as that would be a whole lot of suck if it fails when needed.:thinking:

6. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    [rquote=1863626&tid=129766&author=Jusadog][rquote=1863614&tid=129766&author=Wings Fan 19][rquote=1863602&tid=129766&author=Jusadog]that doesnt look much different then my HSS.:shrug:[/rquote]
    Same here, the one with the recall 'cause of faulty carabiners. :stickfight:[/rquote]

Interesting. I have carabiners on my lineman's strap but none on my harness. Will look into it as that would be a whole lot of suck if it fails when needed.:thinking:[/rquote]
    I think mine is the HS300 Pro... I got a letter saying to stop using it & contact them for replacements.

7. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    I have a Loggy Bayou Harness that is very similar to that and I really like it.

8. jwgossage

jwgossage New Member

I'm with you, the freebies are so hard to put on.....They make me feel like an idiot and they put me in a bad mood before my hunt even starts! HAHA- I got one of the Harness vests last year, really easy to put on, but my only complaint is that it only comes with one strap to put on the tree......I have 2 stands so if I want to switch stands I have to take that one off one tree and put it on the other ...and in the morning that is just noise that i dont need to make....maybe i can get a second one but have not really looked into it yet. Good Luck picking one out!

9. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I have the best of the HSS vest that they sell. Sure it weighs a bit but I feel so secure in it. I looked up the Muddy system and watched their reviews on youtube and it looks like it is a good one but...those little one inch straps that are there to hold up my legs I would thing would cut off my circulation a lot faster than the two inch ones on my HSS. They say on the video that the buckle system that they use is more quiet than the snap buckle type that my HSS uses....I got news for them....I put my HSS on before I climb into my stand. In fact I put it on before I head for the woods so the noise of the snap is not a factor what so ever. Lots of loose straps in my opinion but I'm used to my two chest snap buckles and one on each leg. Plus I have six pockets on my vest for my stuff. I personally like my Hunters Safety System.

10. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Quote jwgossage: "my only complaint is that it only comes with one strap to put on the tree......I have 2 stands so if I want to switch stands I have to take that one off one tree and put it on the other ...and in the morning that is just noise that i dont need to make."

In years past when I bought a new stand they always came with those tangled messes called a safety harness in which there was a single strap with a buckle. I use those and trash the harnesses. I have five stands that require a safety harness strap.

11. 160983

160983 Guest

[rquote=1864738&tid=129766&author=Mailman]I have the best of the HSS vest that they sell. Sure it weighs a bit but I feel so secure in it. I looked up the Muddy system and watched their reviews on youtube and it looks like it is a good one but...those little one inch straps that are there to hold up my legs I would thing would cut off my circulation a lot faster than the two inch ones on my HSS. They say on the video that the buckle system that they use is more quiet than the snap buckle type that my HSS uses....I got news for them....I put my HSS on before I climb into my stand. In fact I put it on before I head for the woods so the noise of the snap is not a factor what so ever. Lots of loose straps in my opinion but I'm used to my two chest snap buckles and one on each leg. Plus I have six pockets on my vest for my stuff. I personally like my Hunters Safety System.[/rquote]

I went with the HSS Lite which has no vests since I figured it would be cooler in september and allow more clothing room when it gets cold.

Do you find the vest harness restrictive when layering up with clothing during the cold or does it still expand enough for that?:shrug:

12. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I have it loose enough that it doesn't affect me at all....but not loose enough that it would impair its function if I need it. I can put it on in 15 seconds including the leg straps.

13. wolf44

wolf44 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    if you're going to spend the money look at the new gorilla harness. i have one and love it!

14. Mofireman39

Mofireman39 New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I also use the HSS vest and I really like it. I use the pockets to keep things very close at hand. Things like my can call, release, cover scent, windicator, face mask!!! The adjustments on all of the straps are very easily changed to fit whatever clothing you may need to wear on a given day.

If I have one complaint, it would be that when worn "over" my camo, it's very hard to place my hands in the jacket pocket for warmth due to the vest and its straps. I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could alleviate this problem by wearing the harness under my camo, but it's not always convenient to do that.

MoFire

15. bowbender

bowbender Active Member

I have the muddy, And like it very well.

16. hawgjaws

hawgjaws New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Hillsboro, MO
    I like my HSS vest. Haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. I actually just spend the $120.00 on one for my 10 yr old son. I figured, why would i stick my prized possession in the freebie if i won't wear it. A lot to spend, but it's going on an irreplacable commodity! We also have 8 two person stands, so we use the freebie tree strap from those to hang on each tree so that we never have to move the strap from tree to tree.

17. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    I would like to have a Muddy but found a Seat of the Pants fastback for $20 and jumped all over it. Rogers has some good deals on vests at times but you have to catch them when they get a truck load of them.

I really like my Seat of the Pants but like the bino feature and the quick attach clips on the Muddy.

I had a HSS and didn't like how hot they were and the whole vest feel.

18. Fur and Feathers

Fur and Feathers New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Parkville, mo
    just got the HSS ultra lite and it is slim, comfortable, has back padding and would fit the bill of what you want. check out HSS web page for details.

19. Chris Russell

Chris Russell Senior Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Nixa, MO
    What to do..... What to do?????

20. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    Id go with the HSS for a few resons. It is easy to set up, has pockets, lightweight and will save you some money. I love mine, and they also make the HSS ultra-lite that looks just like the muddy harness but is only 100 at cabelas