Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Rusty traps

2K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  bverboy 
#1 ·
How do you keep the rust off? Take rust off? Does it matter?

#6 ·
I dyed and waxed 10 traps yesterday evening. I forgot how satisfying it is to have the wax at just the right temperature where it runs off like water and doesn't leave any thick spots!
Simple things in life, right?

#8 ·
Logwood crystals normally. They are dyed a brown or black color. No real reason for it, but something trappers have been doing for a long time, so they still do. If a land crit can see your trap, you're prolly not gonna catch it. Grey fox and ***** are pretty stupid tho, so you could catch them in a bright and shiny trap.

Reactions: 90acres
#14 ·
And I would trust your judgement more than mine, bigjohn. I'm still a newbie at it I guess..plus I'm self taught (you tube :D) so I'm bound to get some things wrong, correct?

If I may ask, we had a guy on here say that he waxes but doesn't dye, I dye and wax, and you dye and don't wax.

Can you tell us what you use the dye for? Oh and why no wax?

For me, it is how I learned but also for scent control, the gloves too.

#15 ·
Most dyes such as logwood, sumac, walnut hulls, oak or maple leaves are high in tannic acid. They react with the steel like bluing a gun. I do dip my water traps in an acetone/rustoleum mix to protect them.
When I land trap if a trap has set there until rust forms, well I'm not on location. As far as scent control a waxed trap is more likely to hold odor than just a dyed one. K-9s know you've been there, you can't fool them. Proper bedding is far more important.

#17 ·
I don’t dye or wax. I just run em thru the dishwasher with just a few drops of Dawn. I gave some a SpeedDip once, but after a coyote chews on it for a while, they get shiny again pretty quick. You may need to replace the springs every 10yrs or so, but you would have to leave them out year round for a LONG time before you’re gonna rust out the jaws or frame. I think if you bed them deeply and use some kind of loud lure or bait, they aren’t gonna smell a clean trap, and after a catch, the whole circle and trap all smell pretty critterific and it all blends together.

#19 ·
I guess a little bit of everything works, I'm sure I could catch more if I really put my mind to it but for me it's just a hobby to help manage the farm.

Thanks for the advice.....keep it coming.

#24 ·
I hear you on the wax, I dyed and waxed 6 dozen last week and it never gets old when they come out perfect.

I use full metal jacket dip on my cable restraints.

And ditto to what Big John said about cats, I don’t even cover some of my designated cat traps, they’ll step right on the pan.

90acres- those are Conibears, are you using them in water?

#30 ·
That's what leash laws are for. I'm not liable for foot damage if someone's dog is on my land and gets his toes broke. No different if he gets his neck broken! It's just a bunch of PC nonsense from MDC trying to avoid the kickback from some idiot losing a dog that shoulda been pent up. Screw a free ranging dog!!

#31 ·
The cat lover lobby must not have any clout. The 5" jaw spread that is allowed on dry land in a conibear will kill the **** out of a cat. :D

#32 ·
Lot easier to get a bobcat to stick his head in a 220 tho! Caught a young yote by the leg in a 160 bucket set once. Been 3 days since the last check. He sure looked thirsty. Solved that problem for him tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.