Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
3,681 Posts
Heritage better start planning for a second career.
Maybe,but they have a pretty good head start.On another site,someone posted all the combinations they offer.Between all the barrel lengths,cylinders,finishes,grip styles,types of wood and plastic for grips...there were over 100 combinations you could get.

· Registered
13,838 Posts
I think I'd like a 6.5" barrel, if I decide to get one. I've been concentrating on rifles here lately, and with my eyesight, a longer sight radius might be more helpful. Based solely on customer service reports, Ruger will bury Heritage's poor customer service and run away with that market, if they can get this Wrangler up and running soon.

Reactions: Fuldraw and WBF

· Registered
13,838 Posts
It should be interesting to see what this does to the single six market. Imo I'd rather have one of these than a newer blued single six. I've been half thinking of selling my fixed sight single six but it's value probably just went down 1/3 overnight.
I think you should be okay, the new gun is NOT all steel, and that will cause some to hesitate.

· Registered
70,866 Posts
  • Grips: Checkered Synthetic
  • Capacity: 6
  • Front Sight: Blade
  • Barrel Length: 4.62"
  • Cylinder Frame Finish: Black Cerakote
  • Cylinder Frame Material: Aluminum Alloy
  • Rear Sight: Integral
  • Overall Length: 10.25"
  • Weight: 30 oz.
  • Twist: 1:14" RH
  • Grooves: 6
  • CA Approved: N/A
  • MA Approved & Certified: No
  • Suggested Retail: $249.00
My question is...will that aluminum alloy cylinder frame stand up with time? I know it makes it lighter but this isn't a conceal carry weapon.

· Registered
13,838 Posts
It should hold up fine, S&W has used it in their Airweight frames for a long time. Colt used it for the Lightweight Commanders and Cobra revolvers. Walter used it in the P1 pistol. Ruger did some lightweight Single Sixes in the past, too, in the early '60s. It is proven technology.

In .22, it should hold up fine, just as it is doing in much higher pressure cartridges.

· Registered
4,733 Posts
It should be interesting to see what this does to the single six market. Imo I'd rather have one of these than a newer blued single six. I've been half thinking of selling my fixed sight single six but it's value probably just went down 1/3 overnight.
Mental health is no joking matter.

Reactions: callaojoe

· Registered
13,838 Posts
The blued Single Six has always had a painted or anodized aluminum grip frame, only the stainless guns have had steel grip frames. As for the plastic stocks, even Colt has used them on their high-dollar SAAs forever, so it's hardly a precedent-breaking item. I actually like the black plastic stocks better, they give me a more solid grip on the gun. I like a good, non-slip grip.

· Registered
6,992 Posts
I guess I get to be the dissenter - to me it's a cheap gun that looks and feels cheap and you couldn't give me one. Who-ever it was at Ruger that came up with it ought to be horsewhipped. But then again, I happen to think the only Ruger's worth owning are the Flat Tops and 3 screws...

· Registered
13,838 Posts
That's kinda the point htredneck, they're built to compete against the Heritage Rough Riders, which are REALLY cheap (but seem to work well enough). The RRs sell, depending on where you buy one, anywhere from about $130 to $200, and with a Single Six starting at over $500 now, they were eating Ruger's lunch. Now Ruger can compete with the RRs. Market share IS important. There's also Chiappa and a couple others selling "discount" SA revolvers, and Ruger wanted their market share back.
I have yet to see, let alone handle, a Wrangler, but I'm always interested in the goings-on in the marketplace.

Reactions: vonfatman

· Registered
6,992 Posts
That's kinda the point htredneck, they're built to compete against the Heritage Rough Riders, which are REALLY cheap (but seem to work well enough). The RRs sell, depending on where you buy one, anywhere from about $130 to $200, and with a Single Six starting at over $500 now, they were eating Ruger's lunch. Now Ruger can compete with the RRs. Market share IS important. There's also Chiappa and a couple others selling "discount" SA revolvers, and Ruger wanted their market share back.
I have yet to see, let alone handle, a Wrangler, but I'm always interested in the goings-on in the marketplace.
I actually saw and handled one for the first time yesterday afternoon. I guess if you wanted a trap line, tackle box, glove compartment or similar gun that you didn't care about hurting, it would be ok. I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I can't stand the Heritage RRs either.

· Registered
6,312 Posts
I guess I get to be the dissenter - to me it's a cheap gun that looks and feels cheap and you couldn't give me one. Who-ever it was at Ruger that came up with it ought to be horsewhipped. But then again, I happen to think the only Ruger's worth owning are the Flat Tops and 3 screws...
Don't go thinking you're all alone. To each his own but won't any at my house either.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.