ruger model 1

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by rat, Apr 6, 2006.

1. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I have a friend that found a used (supposedly in pristine condition) ruger #1 in 7mm mag for $550.00 or so..

Anyone have one of these and do you think this is a good deal?

2. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I've never had one, but it sounds like a deal to me.

3. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    That's pretty high for a used Number One. My buddy just bought a new SS/laminated for $650. $450 to $500 is more like it, and I'd be jittery about that. Number Ones are awfully nice rifles, but they can have some issues with the two-piece stocks, sometimes they shoot like a house afire, and sometimes you want to throw them in a burning house. It's a crapshoot with them, but they CAN be made to shoot well, if they don't already do so. I guess it depends on whether or not you like them, I like my friend's just fine, and it shoots really well, too. I just think his is too heavy to tote around too far, but I'm kinda lazy......

4. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    that's about 100.00 off what they normaly sell for. and they can go a tad higher.

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Well.. bluebook on this rifle at 98% is $595 for what thats worth..

Thanks for the info. He is dead set on this gun and would have got the encore if they offered a 7mag bbl for it.

6. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    every ruger #1 i've looked at the past 18 months has topped 625.00. i would say the average price i saw was 650.00 and up if it was something special. it certainly looks to be a fair price.

7. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    My buddy just bought the same Ruger and two Ithaca Model 37s for 900 from a pawn shop in Boonville. The guy wanted 600 for the rifle and 600 for the matched shotguns. I'd tell your buddy to maybe wait a bit. That Ruger was on the shelf at the pawn shop for six weeks or more. I don't think folks in Cooper County were too interested in the caliber even though the rifle was pretty sweet.

leaker