Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know there are some die hard .22 shooters out there. My brother is looking to buy his son a .22 for X-mass. The 597 is $175.00 and the 10/22 is $255.00. He just plans ojn plinking targets and Squirells with this gun. He doesn't plan on adding any aftermarket products.

So, let me hear the feedback on which gun is better or which one is the better deal for the money. I am really interested in the 597 feedback, I have my own 10/22. Thanks

·
Banned
11,330 Posts
First off get the 10/22. Second off, don't pay more than 210 for it. Every gun owner in America should own a 10/22.

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[rquote=1499783&tid=104649&author=macon county boy]they had 10-22 for 160 new at bullet stop in hartford[/rquote]

New? Which model? Where is Hartford? Do they sell on-line? He lives in Oklahoma

·
Registered
30 Posts
597 has a reputation for magazine problems. 10/22 is an awesome gun with an entire aftermarket dedicated to it. 10/22 hands down. I believe that wal-mart sells them for about $200.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
I own 2 of the Remingtons...About the worst trigger on any gun I own, but, once you get past that, they both run just fine, and are quite the squirrel and frog killers!!!!:cheers::wave:

·
Registered
69,765 Posts
Ruger has a huge following for a reason. I can't vouch for their quality or shooting ability because I have never owned one but it would be nice to be able to play around with all the different stocks and attachments available for this good selling rifle. I do have an older pump Remington that I really like. It has taken a boat load of squirrels in its day. It is a Remington Fieldmaster 572. Got to watch the short shucking on the pumps tho.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
alot of guys like the 10-22 because of the accessories honestly they dont shoot great i have owned quite a few but you can make them shoot very well if youre willn to spend some money the best shootn 22 i ever owned was a older 788 marlin bolt action tube fed

·
Banned
11,330 Posts
10/22 I just built, looks much better in person
Hogue Stock
Tactical Solutions Barrel
Nikon Prostaff 4x scope
Tactical solutions mag release

[file]82730[/file]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Own both, and prefer the 10/22. There are many different factory configurations. I have the wood stock, stainless barrel and paid $224 for it. I'm sure it is just me (also the scope - I have the wrong one for a 22 on the 597) but I have never been that accurate with my 597. I can drive tacks with the 10/22 though. Prefer the mag on it too. Both are fine guns though. I believe that Rem has fixed those old mag problems too.

As others have said though, if you EVER want to get something aftermarket for the gun (remember it will last forever) go for the 10/22.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
10-22 they are worth the extra money. they will be around a l;ot longer that the 597 and I gaurntee will hold resale better

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
10/22 for sure , and is the best choice , I had a 597 and is was about like a marlin model 60 to me , it shot pretty fair groups , but nothing like the Ruger. Even though you are not going to trick it out now you might decide to later .
[file]82739[/file]
[file]82740[/file]

[Edited on 12-6-2009 by 76_michael]

[file]82738[/file]

[file]82737[/file]

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
10/22 all the way! Here's mine I fixed up.

Sellier & Belliot Barrel
Fajen Stock
Bushnell Sport 3X9 Scope

[file]82741[/file]

This one will tear a bullseye out at 50 yds. It shot quarter size groups at 25 yards before the redo. Now at 25 it's dime size!

[Edited on 12-6-2009 by sand_manms]

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have both, but the 597 is in 22 WMR so it's not really a fair comparison. I love both. The Remington has a 3-9x40 Burris on it and is a tack driver. You do have to be careful loading the magazine though. You can definitely cross them up. The 10-22 is bone stock and just a joy to shoot as well.

·
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the info. I just called my brother and gave him your all's 2 cents worth. I appreciate it and so does he.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have the 10/22. With the Cabela's brand rimfire scope on it. It's the stainless one. Looks great and shoots better!!! It puts bullets in the same hole! You get what you pay for and the Ruger will last a lifetime. The extra money is insignificant when your considering the lifetime joy from this gun.

No question,, get the Ruger!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts