Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
chairman, try rimfirecentral.com they have just about everything ruger 10/22 covered and then some

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
one note on the 10/22 10/17 magnum. it's my understanding that ruger has stop production on the magnum series of the 10/22. no one knows when they will start up again and because of it prices for them (used) have gone up a tad. there's a guy on rimfirecentral who had one and it had a problem. he sent it back to the factory and they couldn't replace it because they have none to replace it with and offered him a m77 of his choice. to my understanding that offer was for either rim fire or centerfire m77. he got a heck of a deal. so if you have a magnum version of the 10/22 and don't want it you can sell it in about 30 seconds on rimfirecentral.

·
19,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of converting my standard 10/22, but since it's not a magnum, I can only convert it to .17 Mach2...

The more I shoot my Savage 93R17 .17HMR, the more I fall in love with it.

Now I'm in the market for a .17HMR semi-auto...

This is what I'm looking for more info on:

The Ruger 10/17 Magnum Rifle is designed for the flat-shooting .17 HMR and features a new light, rifle-style hardwood stock. The stock is slimmer with an increased length of pull and a tapered fore-end. A flat, synthetic buttpad replaces the curved, carbine-style buttpad on the Ruger 10/22 Magnum Carbine, and the barrelband has been eliminated. The 10/17 Magnum Rifle features a steel receiver with integral patented scope mounts, and Ruger scope rings attach directly to the steel receiver. The rifle also features a 20-inch tapered barrel, folding rear sight and gold-bead front sight mounted on a centerfire-style banded ramp.

BTW ~ Is there anyone besides Ruger who makes a .17HMR semi-auto? :confused:

I'm just wanting one for plinking & varmint control, and I don't want to go the custom route. In other words ~ something affordable...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can tell you a little about this rifle.....the bolts are the piece they have problems with......

I also know that Volquartzen and Clark make an autoloading 17 HMR, however they are in the $1000 range and not what I call affordable.......I have also heard that the Remington 597 comes in 17HMR although I have never seen one.....IIRC the book at Wal-Mart had them in it...try this link if it doesn't work go to Walmart.com and do a search for "597" thats how I found it...

hope this helps

Chromie

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3170169

·
Registered
306 Posts
anytime....

.you should know.......the VQ would be the most reliable and most accurate HMR of the bunch.....I have 2 buddies with HMR,s one with a VQ and one with a Savage bolt action......the VQ seems to be more accurate no matter who is shooting it....don't know why but it is......

Chromie

·
19,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only WISH I could afford one of those VQ's...

It's just gonna be a knock-around gun anyways, and I'm gonna have to limit myself to around $400 ~ to keep the wife happy.

Like I said before, I'm in absolute love with my Savage 93R17 .17HMR bolt-action. I've already reduced the varmint population 'round here, considerably. She's a real tack-driver... :D

I can't wait to go "window shopping", at the local gunshop.

·
Registered
306 Posts
walmart has it for $308.00 on their website.....I like the feel of the Savage and for 1/4 of the money it is plenty accurate.....the difference in the two, 5 shot groups is in the .1 to .15 range. not enough for the varmin to notice....thats for sure......good luck on your search and keep up posted.....

Chromie

·
Registered
481 Posts
just be careful with those 597's! the one i had was a jam-a-holic! and it only shot good for 2 years before i finally traded it in on my 77/17.

now maybe they changed something with them, but i would strongly advise against it

·
19,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I'm already skeptical of the 597. Back when I was in the market for a .22WMR, I went to a gunshop and asked about one, the dealer advised against it. I don't remember why, but it had something to do with stamped (cheap) metal?! Sumpin' like that, anyways... :confused:

I've never seen or held one, though I'd like to see for myself, just for grins.

Maybe I'll just wait to see what route Ruger takes, since they're no longer selling (or supporting) 10/22 Mag's...

BTW ~ I've been over to rimfire central most of today. Man...there's a TON of info on there... :eek: :D

·
Registered
13,834 Posts
I don't think Ruger ever turned one of those loose from the factory, but if you can find one of the .22 Magnums, a Clark barrel and some other parts will make it work. A buddy built one like that, and it's a shooting machine! PDs absolutely HATE it, I can promise that. It's fun to shoot, too. Doug has eight or nine 10/22s in various states of customization, he's "et up" with 'em.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.