ruddy ducks in mo?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Hunting' started by huntforfunnfood, Oct 26, 2010.

1. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    anyone ever shot a ruddy duck in mo?

in the big pic im still new to duck wackin and i guess i didn't know they ever passed threw here but there were two killed i know of by youths on sunday Im trying to get a pic.

i have no doubts its true though i just never knew they passed threw here
    how many otheres here ever got one in MO?

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Killed a couple up at Thomas Hill day before deer season about 10 years ago. Only Ruddy's I have ever killed.

Thomas Hill is pretty good at giving up a full assortment of ducks.

Only thing is, you may hunt there all day, and never fire a shot....:shrug:

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Never seen one in da wild meself

4. yeehaw

yeehaw Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Lake St. Louis
    Lots get killed on the MO & MS river each season

5. I've seen a few down here over the years but only seen one that was shot over the dekes. Very rare to see em around here, atleast for me.

6. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    [rquote=1864081&tid=129783&author=yeehaw]Lots get killed on the MO & MS river each season

Newbie[/rquote]

i shot a loon once.....i was so proud of my self for like a week and then when i showed pics to my real friends i found out it was a coot.................

7. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    pretty much have to water swat them!!!! we shot some one time at fountain grove and got laughed at!!!

8. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    My first duck was a ruddy duck...shot it at Grand Pass.....

9. ekl-stl

ekl-stl New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    See a few every year on the Mississippi river.. Also shot a mess of them on a farm pond near Columbia one time.. They are around, but they dont decoy or fly much..

10. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I jump shot one off a pond at Bois D'Arc many years ago. I also saw a pair of black ducks, mixed in with mostly mallards and a few pintails on a different pond there.

11. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    Ok, I'll ask, what is a ruddy duck

12. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Little duck with a stiff short tail that sticks up.

[file]143277[/file]

13. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    four or five years ago a buddy his brother and i walked a long long ways back into a pond on public ground. the dog was chasing butterflies while we broke ice and set up. called him over to settle in for the wait and here he comes with a ruddy duck. dog has brought several ducks back like that over his years. good dog, good dog. only one i've ever seen.

14. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Son_of_Cold_Duck 1:8655 idiots right Red?

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    [rquote=1863871&tid=129783&author=callaojoe]Thomas Hill is pretty good at giving up a full assortment of ducks.[/rquote]

so what you're saying is that Thomas Hill holds exotics :thinking:

15. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1866264&tid=129783&author=Son_of_Cold_Duck][rquote=1863871&tid=129783&author=callaojoe]Thomas Hill is pretty good at giving up a full assortment of ducks.[/rquote]

so what you're saying is that Thomas Hill holds exotics :thinking:[/rquote]

Well, I have killed all of the following, sometimes many on the same day....

Golden Eyes, Ringnecks, Ruddys, Red Heads, Cans, Mallards, BWT, GWT, Woodies, Blue Bills, hooded mergansers, Common mergansers, buffleheads, widgeon, gadwall, pintails, Shovelers.. My brother killed the common Merganser.... He was just a young kid, and din't know any better. the Hooded merganser, is sittin in my game room....

Not to mention Snow Geese and Canadian geese.

I have never killed a black duck there... I've never killed a black duck anywhere though...

But, that was always the cool thing about hunting TH, you might not kill anything.... But, you never knew what you were going to kill when you did....:shrug:

16. TATER

TATER Active Member

I've shot a few when I hunted along the Mississippi south of StL. Their nickname on the east coast is "Butterball" because they store a large amount of fat for the migration.

Strangest thing I have ever seen shot during a hunt in MOMO was a Common Scoter off of an irrigation lake near Mexico Missouri. A pair came in and we only managed one. They were reallllly lost! They are some big ducks!!!:eek:

17. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Son_of_Cold_Duck 1:8655 idiots right Red?

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    kind of an inside joke

we were getting the lay of the land on some private property
    the caretaker was telling us what species of ducks frequent the property
    one of the guys that was with us asked the caretaker if it "held any exotics"

he meant well

:rof2:

18. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1866274&tid=129783&author=TATER]I've shot a few when I hunted along the Mississippi south of StL. Their nickname on the east coast is "Butterball" because they store a large amount of fat for the migration.

Strangest thing I have ever seen shot during a hunt in MOMO was a Common Scoter off of an irrigation lake near Mexico Missouri. A pair came in and we only managed one. They were reallllly lost! They are some big ducks!!!:eek:[/rquote]

My uncle killed a scoter, or eider.. I don't remember which on the MO river... It was in with a bunch of ringnecks, and stood out like a sore thumb.... He took it to the taxy, but never got it back....

This is a "well known" taxy in the STL area, so I won't mention his name......:shrug:

19. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I killed a bufflehead at Duck Creek one time, and the MDC guy got all excited cause they don't get many of them down there.... And, asked if he could clip the wings for their duck ID display.... I said, why not.... Wasn't planned to eat the wings....:rof2::rof2:

I like kill'n the odd ball duck, or exotic now and again.

Mallards, teal, gadwall get to be old hat some times.....

But, I still love the Mallard....:D

20. TATER

TATER Active Member

The strangest one that I myself shot was a Greater Scaup aka a "Broadbill" at Ted Shanks many years ago. It was back in the day when you had to check in your ducks and the guys inside got all excited because they thought it might have been the first one checked in there..:eek::