Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use rotary tillers for preparing food plots? We have been looking into some but have heard that the King Kutter brand doesn't work that well. Are we just waisting our time and money and just go get a disc or do these things really work that well?

Thanks
Matt

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,782 Posts
Sod is pretty tough on them. Kill everything down good with roundup & you should be able to prep a new site. Might have to work it a couple of times.

I assume your talking tractor mount?

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I would buy a disc, you can do alot more with it and
probably be alittle cheaper. I dont know what a new disc would cost but youcan usually find a 8-10 foot disc on a consignment sale or farm sale pretty cheap.
If you can find a old roller or cultipacker that is a nice tool to have also, Heres a pic of my old disc that I use .

Attachments

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
The first year I started food plots I used a 5' rotary tiller bihind the tractor, 3-point hitch. That was the only year I did. It worked good enough, the food plots turned out pretty good, but since I've been using a 10' disc and it's much better for me. Works the ground much easier and I'd rather do an extra pass or two with a disc to work the ground just as good as have to creep with the tiller and worry about something messing it up. The other thing I like about the disc is it gets deeper with much more ease. The ground I work is pretty hard when I work it and the tiller has some trouble.
I'll second the cultipacker suggestion as well.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
hannibal its a 3020 JD
If your by yourself Like I am most times its nice to have
a loader. you can push tree limbs out of the way, drive posts
put a bit of rock in a certain place if you want. I have a ditch
crossing that will wash out from time to etime and it is nice
for repairing that. its also good for hanging deer in the
barn during the season.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
hannibal i have had this one for awhile, probably a new one now will cost between 4-5 thousand you can find then used
from 2-3 thousand. If money is not a issue I would buy one
if it is I would use the money on other inplements before I would buy a loader. for instance, good mower, disc, planter,
4 wheeler, with spreader and sprayer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
matt i have had my rotary tiller for 2 yrs and it is great i have a 20 hp tractor and a 5 ft rotary i started with nothing butt field grass and it busted it up great i plant about 5 acres in plots every year and now it is a breeze.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I bought a 5' King Kutter this year to use behind my JD1010 (36hp). I wish I had saved my money early on instead of buying a disc and plow. The 5' KK is the very best food plot tool I have. It saves time, gas and money. Only draw back to using a JD1010 is the limited gear ratio...it's a 5 speed and something with a second or third ratio of gears would be even better allowing you use a lower setting for taking up roots. If you have tall grass sod brush hog it first then go over it with the tiller. The KK has the added advantage of being able to work in tight spaces and odd shaped corners which a disc cannot do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to agree with Nontypical.... I recently purchased a King Kutter II 5ft rototiller for my New Holland and it does an outstanding job preparing a seed bed for food plots. It is a slow machine but the results are incredible. Some jobs dont require the tiller but a lot do. I like to mow old pastures, do a chemical burndown then wait for a good rain and rototill. Sure, for exsisting farm ground that has been worked in the past, a good set of Discs or my Plotmaster will do the job just fine. But to litterally crumble the worst of ground, the rototiller gets r done!

Very good investment for me.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
MDC...I had the opposite result. Where my plots are hadn't been worked in almost 20 years and the rototiller did barely a good enough job to get anything to grow. What it turned it turned good, but it would barely get in the ground.
Now that I think about it, I imagine a big part of it would be whether or not the tractor you're using has down pressure on the 3-point...mine does not so the disc is much better for me. I could see the tiller working better with down pressure though.

I just disc the ground and then use this...never seen a better looking seed bed, even on a lawn...
http://www.landpride.com/products/prod_ps/prod_ps20.html#

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hoytshooter:

Not sure why it did not work for you? I do not have down pressure on my New Holland or JD and it still goes down to how ever deep I set the shoes. Sometimes I go through really hard ground but it still pulverizes the ground.

My only guess is the setting on the unit. The center 3 point arm is critical when setting up the tiller on the tractor. It should be set so the unit is square to the ground and tractor. By shortening the center arm, the unit will grab the ground hold of the ground much better and pull the unit down. By loosening the unit, it does the opposite. Perhaps this is the answer....not sure.

Lastly, The unit will pull much smoother through the ground after a good rain.

·
Registered
21,512 Posts
I just feel you need a Tractor.Thats why I got away from Food Plots.My property is not big enough to justify buying a Tractor and I messed my Tiller and Mower up big time trying to use them.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin says use a Chainsaw.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Originally posted by Hannibal
hoyt--whats the ps20 cost???
Way too much for me to buy one! I have a friend who is in the sod/seeding business that lets me use it. He bought a demo unit and got a considerable discount and I think he paid around $7,000, I think new they are $10,000 or better

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.