Roost Question

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by JarJar, Apr 26, 2006.

1. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    About what time do turkeys go to the roost? And when (how much time after turkey roosts) should one try a locator call to find out where they are for the night?

ONE MORE....
    Since I am hunting public land, this one worries me alittle (I think this is why they roosted in a different area from Monday).... If someone spooks a turkey in the evening from a location near their normal roosting area (say the same field) will that turkey roost in that area still, or will they find another place to stay the night?

Thanks for the help!

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    JAR,

I always just roost my birds by listening to them. I never use a locator. If they gobbler, great, but I listen for them to fly up.

It will be anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes after sunset.

If someone scares a bird in the evening, he will automatically fly somewhere else and roost quick. When they're ready to roost, they're ready to roost. They don't like walking around in the dark.

If a gobbler gets scared and leaves, but not a hen or two, that's not too bad, cause the gobbler will probably come back there in the morning looking for the hens.

Parker

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    it varies, but normally they go back to their roost at "dusk" and thats when you can start to locate...

they will also roost in different locations, if say during the day the weathers been crappy and super windy and the tree they normally roost in is being pummled by wind, they will get to the opposite side of a ridge to be out of the wind...

if they are spooked, they will more then likely move to a different roost, however will also more then likely be back unless spooked again.

turkeys as with other animals are creatures of habit

:cheers:

4. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Thanks Parker for the info! I have to go to work tomorrow morning and want to get in close to up my chances of getting one earlier in the morning!

One more question...

What if they get spooked with a few hours left of daylight....will they come back to roost in that area? Or will they stay away from there and find somewhere else to roost?

5. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Rebel...

We must have been posting at the same time & I think that you may have answered my next question...

6. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

JarJar, just tell yo bro ta quit spookin the darn birds round there!!!!!! Just kiddin, good luck to ya!!!

7. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    depends on what spooked them.. turkeys are super paranoid, they will putt off if a tick farts.. but on the other hand are rather dumb and will come back to see what it was... if they want to be somewhere they will be there....

if you go running out there screaming at em.. sure chances are they wont be back, but if they heard you walking or saw some movement and take off, chances are they will be back

8. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Well if it was my brother then he would be gettin' a :sniper: in the :ass: if I caught him....:rotfl::rotfl:

9. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005

:hysterical::hysterical:

Thanks for the help. :wave:

10. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  11. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    NC
    Say you're hunting 200 acres - how do you locate? Is it scouting the area beforehand for signs of turkey that gets you close, then you locate through calls or listening?

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    ive always scouted before season to have the best luck, as well as hunting the same piece(s) of property for several years, they tend to have a pattern of places you will / wont find them..

but if its say a new property, id look for sign where theyve been scratchin or dusting... get to a good vantage point to where you can hear the entire property and just listen...

it also helps if you atleast know the lay of the land as you can figure out the best places, if its remote, quiet, out of the way chances are you will find turkeys there.. sometime during the day.

however, if i was to go to a new piece of property id go out in the evening and listen.. prolly hoot a few times and pin point em.

oh yeah if its public land or possible someone else might get there or be listening, best not to make em gobble to much or you might end up getting a visitor there the next day....

13. buckbuster14

buckbuster14 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Moberly, Missouri
    Wow Parker, you helped me a lot too on that one. I pretty much had the same problem. Thanks!

14. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I try man...... :cheers:

Parker

15. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.

JJ, just got in from putting them to bed. The first bird flew up at 8:07 and the last at 8:21. They were very quiet tonight, no gobbling. All you could hear was wings flapping and then them landing on the limbs. It all happened about the time the whippoorwills started to vocalize.

16. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    thats my alarm in the mornin.. get out there way before daylight, snooze and when i hear the whippoorwills i wake up and get ready for the gobblin...

17. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Monday morning I had one land on a tree limb next to me (arms length away) and started screaming at me...talk about a LOUD wake up call!

18. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    heh had a similar thing with an owl once.. didnt know he flew in and hooted.. that day i was wishin i brought an extra pair of clothes :peepwall:

19. Wooddust

Wooddust Active Member

Jul 26, 2003
    The birds at my place are certainly not birds of habit...they roost all over and seldome in same area two nights in a row in the spring.

Two days ago I would estimate based on gobbles we had 3 birds on my place...today we had likely 12-15 ...