Rookie question

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by hunter7x, Mar 22, 2006.

1. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I've heard more than one comment on different threads on here about the Turks are sounding off too much for this early in the year.

Why is that a problem and how will it affect the hunting ?

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Reckon if they are looking for love too early, they may not be looking for it when we are looking for them!

3. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    well turkey hunters always want the perfect set up if the turkeys start to early hunters are fearfull that the hens will all be setting nest by season and the boys won't want any more loven

if they don't start gobbling early enough all the toms will be hened up and to busy to look for another hen(i.e) you the one hard to get that won't come to them which is normally the way it works in turkey world the hen seeks the gobbler. we as hunters try to reverse that

so for everthing to be perfect (roll eyes here) we need about half the hens setting come season.

i really never get to excited about if they start or end gobbling to early thats just hunting in my opinion. i deal with what the toms are doing opening morning and adapt to it

4. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    I think what is going on right now is all part of the annual cycle of turkey life. A sort of pecking order is being established among the toms and jakes and the hens aren't at all receptive right now. I think the amount of gobbling during this period is the best indicator gobbler density we have.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    i am one that likes to hunt late season, i have good luck getting old toms to come in . they are still looking for girls, when most are on the nest. it can be really fun that time of year. early season there are so many hens that it can be hard to get em to come in. but a lot of fun. just get out there and enjoy the season and a wonderful time of year to be in the woods.

6. PFR

PFR New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Ohhh boy one of my favorite topics..............

Like deer, geese, song-birds, whatever.....breeding season only last so long. The earlier it starts the earlier it is over. Missouri turkey season is on the absolute tail end of the breeding season in the best case scenario. The earlier the spring, the earlier the breeding starts, the earlier it is over. MDCs argument is that turkey breeding is based on the amount of daylight hours, not the weather. That to some degree is true BUT the weather also plays a huge role in it. Meaning, once the days start getting longer and the weather is abnormally warm things gets advanced alot more quickly. Conversely, if the days are longer and the weather is abnormally cold things get put on hold awhile. The daylight maybe the primary triggering factor but the weather "fine tunes" things alot. I also think that one little cold stap like we are having now doesn't have any effect on slowing things down, unfortunately. Things started getting revved up about a month ago and this cold spell won't change a thing. That is about the norm for the last several years though. Virtually no winter and spring coming on full force in early February.

The weather playing a part in it is proved further when you look at northern and southern states at about the same longitude (ie MI to MS for example). Pick any given date (say April 1) and the daylight is more or less the same in each state but the breeding is gonna be way more advanced in MS compared to MI. Why? The weather, plain and simple. It is and has been alot warmer for alot longer in MS at that point in time than it has been in MI.

7. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I think PV nailed this one....I believe MDC calls this an "early gobbling peak"....and I've been told our season falls just after a late gobbling peak...fancy words for "our season is set late"....lol

8. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    And by April 24th the grass is gonna be 3 foot tall and the ticks will be that deep too..:frown: The warmer and nicer the weather the earlier the breeding begins. The turkeys don't have to devote as much time to feeding as it gets warmer, so they have more time to fool around. IMHO the season date SUX!!:banghead:

Jack

9. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I agree, Jack...will be interesting to see how the yute weekend pans out...will be my daughters last youth hunt, she'll be too dang old in november...I'll just have to go out and rent me a kid!!!

10. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Brad, I'm taking my 11 year old grandaughter and I wish the regular season started the Monday after the Youth Season. I'm afraid the ticks will be fierce this year. I HATE TICKS!!:mad2::mad2::mad2:

Jack

11. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

And I'd be thier flavor too...those sucka's will crawl across 6 of ya'll, just to git to me!!!!!!!! Skeeters too, and I don't even want to talk about chiggers.....

12. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Skeeters/Chiggers? What the heck are those? (New here from So. Cal)

13. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    You know I never did have the chance to use my...... fancy dancy skeeter thingy....I forget what they're called !!!!

I won it at the NWTF banquet last year.

THERMACELL !!!! whewwwww though I had lost it there for a minute.

14. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

OMGosh Nicholas...you'll find out soon enuf...go to wally world, and buy some Repel bug spray with the green lid, and keep it in your turkey vest, with all your gear....

THERMACELL'S work....for skeeters, fo sho!!! I loved mine last fall bowhunting. But I'll use the repel for all 3 of them critters this spring, not so worried about the scent thing.

15. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Thank you sir, but what are they? My vest just came UPS today from Cabela's!

16. huntingmo

huntingmo New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Limbo
    Nicholas, think of a million little skeeters you cnat see bitin you on the ankles. :banghead:

17. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    7x, I been out several mornings and I don't believe the gobbling is any different than it is on any other March 22.

Hunters just need something to talk about so why not talk about a worst case scenario. OR start making excuses for their lack of success a month early?
    :D

Oh, and by the way, this years season falls as late as it can in MO. And it sux as Jack mentioned. By the end of the second week, you won't hear a gobbler unless it is a fluke. And the underbrush will be so bad that you couldn't see one if he was ten feet away. (and that will be in NORTH Mo!)

18. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

All 3 of em are blood suckers, and after they leave ya, you ITCH like a big dog...Chiggers u can't see, most ticks you can...the little seed ticks, babies, come out later in the summer, and are like a speck of dust....yearlings will be out in the spring, along with the adults...they all like to find soft hidden places with blood flow close to the surface of the skin, if ya know's what I means....llol

19. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Ankle biters! I best load up that vest with some bug killer!

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    DSG-- I guess everyone wants to go out in perfect weather, the sound of gobbles everywhere, no ticks or chiggers, no vegitation to hinder visability,make a call and have a gobbler run over em tryin to get there, have i left anything out? the truth is we have the best turkey huntin in the country...period. what do we have to Bit#h about. i say be glad for what we have.