Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Something was loose or it was more than a few inches onto a table. Or someone was messing with it when you weren't looking. I've got way to much experience with bumps and knocks on a Leupold and they NEVER shift zero. Did you use locktite on the base screws? Did you use a torque wrench to tighten all the screws to proper spec? A miss was the best outcome possible. Could easily have been a gutshot loss.
I forgot camonitwit you are the almighty know it all god!!!! No one but the wife and I in the house so no one messed with it. I use a wheeler torque tool when I mounted my scope after lapping the rings and all screws got medium loctite. And of course it is a true Leupold scope since I bought it from them. Any other pearls of wisdom that you would like to share just drop them off in the garbage!! You think you know everything and everyone else is stupid. Mark

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Loopie makes a wide variety of rings/bases. Some like the rifleman series are pretty crappy rings. The PRW2 are much much better though on a good steel base.

Even good rings mounted wrong wont hold a good jolt. Got to move them forward against the cross slots in the base. Both rings need to be tight up against the front of the slot before the scope is snugged down. If it not the whole assembly slides forward under recoil or a good bump.

Which loopie base and rings do you have? Ive even seen their dovetail rings get trashed by ML recoil. The BackCountry stuff is supposed to be really good. Their steel QRW Weaver style bases are excellent. Ive used them on really hard kickers.

https://www.leupold.com/product-series/qrw-mounting-systems

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
When I checked it the other day it was 1 inch high at a 100 yards. After the drop it was 18 inch's to the right and and 10 inches high at a 100 yards. I got it reset to my original shot placement. Just for those who were wondering it is a Leopoldo scope and bases and rings.
Mark
Where were you aiming that a shot 9" to the right and 5" high didnt hit the deer....twice? And how do you buy a scope from Leupold directly?

Reactions: wiser1

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
I forgot camonitwit you are the almighty know it all god!!!! No one but the wife and I in the house so no one messed with it. I use a wheeler torque tool when I mounted my scope after lapping the rings and all screws got medium loctite. And of course it is a true Leupold scope since I bought it from them. Any other pearls of wisdom that you would like to share just drop them off in the garbage!! You think you know everything and everyone else is stupid. Mark
So you seem like such a reasonable fella, all level-headed and easy going, lemme ask you a question. You just expect me to hear a story about dropping 100% perfectly mounted Leupold scope a few inches and it's off by 72 clicks in one direction 36 in the opposite direction, and not try to come up with a reason other than a bump just knocked it off that far?? You think that's how they became one of the biggest and most trusted name in Optics or won a military contract?? You do know they make fakes on EBay and Amazon, right? Let me say it another way. If it moved that far, and it wasn't the mount shifting, the scope is broken and needs to be replaced. It didn't just shift POI 18 MOA from a small drop and now it's just fine.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Dang! That sux. Maybe it was meant to b. And u will get him next year when he is a monster. I fell in the dark years ago and knocked a scope off. Then missed like u did from close range. Then saw that deer 2 years later and dropped him. I feel like that was meant to happen. But now anyway if i am putting a scope on something i make sure i crank the screws down real tight on the rings and mount. I don’t like missing

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I called Leupold today and told them exactly what happened to the scope. I bought this scope in 1976 when I was 13 cost me 2 months pay way back then and I have used this scope every year since. Was on my rifle till 11 years ago when I put it on my muzzleloader the wife and kids got me for Christmas. And it sure has it’s bumps and bruises after 44 years. Half the finish was wearing off several years ago that I wound up having to repaint it. Well the lady I talked to said send it in and they would check it over but said it would probably be replaced with a new scope but she told me they would send my old one back to me. Which I thought was real nice of them. It does have some sentimental thoughts for me.
Mark

PS. Before you ask what model it is I can’t tell you the markings have been worn off for decades.
Mark

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
I called Leupold today and told them exactly what happened to the scope. I bought this scope in 1976 when I was 13 cost me 2 months pay way back then and I have used this scope every year since. Was on my rifle till 11 years ago when I put it on my muzzleloader the wife and kids got me for Christmas. And it sure has it's bumps and bruises after 44 years. Half the finish was wearing off several years ago that I wound up having to repaint it. Well the lady I talked to said send it in and they would check it over but said it would probably be replaced with a new scope but she told me they would send my old one back to me. Which I thought was real nice of them. It does have some sentimental thoughts for me.
Mark

PS. Before you ask what model it is I can't tell you the markings have been worn off for decades.
Mark
That's an awesome story, and keep us posted on what they do. That's what you spent that 2mos pay for right there!!

·
Under appreciated
89,843 Posts
I have a pair of leupold binos that are about 7 years old and out of warranty. One of the ocular eyepieces is broken.. wont stay screwed out. I've been thinking about calling them and asking if there is anything they can do. Wonder what would happen @CamoNinja

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
I have a pair of leupold binos that are about 7 years old and out of warranty. One of the ocular eyepieces is broken.. wont stay screwed out. I've been thinking about calling them and asking if there is anything they can do. Wonder what would happen @CamoNinja
They'd tell you to get glasses.

Reactions: kgdog and 90acres

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Probably send you a brand new pair!!

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
They’ll also send you ProStaff stickers for your truck.

Reactions: kgdog
21 - 38 of 38 Posts