Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago I shot my muzzleloader to make sure I was still dead on the target. Everything was perfect!!! But I did not have time to clean it because the kids were coming over for Christmas. So yesterday morning I was cleaning it at the table when it slipped out of my of my hands onto the table only fell a couple of inches. Told the wife I hope it didn’t knock the scope out of whack, but I wanted to get some sleep because I just came off a 12 hour shift at the plant. And I wanted to hunt yesterday evening really bad since I have not had a lot of time to hunt this season. Well I should have went and resighted the muzzleloader instead of hunting because this morning I missed a big 10 pointer at 45 yards TWICE!!!! I headed down to my range in a few minutes to resight. Should have done it yesterday evening instead of hunting!!!!
Mark

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
Tough lesson. I hope you get another crack at him. I’m curious how far off was the scope at 50 yards when you checked it at the range?

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
JMO...a good brand of scope in a good set of rings on top of a good base will stand up to more abuse over a cheaper scope, rings and bases. Not knowing which of those you have its still possible to knock a scope off when hit just right no matter the quality of your equipment. As they say Hind Sight is 20/20.

·
King of Callaway
42,812 Posts
Rough break there, hopefully you see him again this weekend.

Reactions: h_callahan

·
Registered
23,038 Posts
That a bummer butterfingers:), but seriously, that stinks! Good luck still time, I’ve only been waiting on a nice 10 for the last 4 months!

·
Blonde Bearded Guy
8,390 Posts
Nightmare come true. Hopefully he gives you another chip shot soon.

Let us know how far off it was.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tough lesson. I hope you get another crack at him. I'm curious how far off was the scope at 50 yards when you checked it at the range?
When I checked it the other day it was 1 inch high at a 100 yards. After the drop it was 18 inch's to the right and and 10 inches high at a 100 yards. I got it reset to my original shot placement. Just for those who were wondering it is a Leopoldo scope and bases and rings.
Mark

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I would be replacing that scope! That is awful to be knocked off like that from a small drop. I hope you get another wack at him.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I mean this in all the best intentions. Do you think there is a chance you spun the turrets while transport the gun?.Are they exposed or capped turrets? Tht is a lot to be off

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mean this in all the best intentions. Do you think there is a chance you spun the turrets while transport the gun?.Are they exposed or capped turrets? Tht is a lot to be off
They are capped. Rifle is transported in a hard case when not in the safe.
Mark

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Something was loose or it was more than a few inches onto a table. Or someone was messing with it when you weren’t looking. I’ve got way to much experience with bumps and knocks on a Leupold and they NEVER shift zero. Did you use locktite on the base screws? Did you use a torque wrench to tighten all the screws to proper spec? A miss was the best outcome possible. Could easily have been a gutshot loss.

Reactions: swat1018

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Did you buy the scope off the Internet? Any chance it’s a knockoff? I would absolutely be sending it back to Leupold. They’ll rebuild the thing completely or send you a new one in a flash.

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
That is a bigger difference than I would have expected, but good information and good reminder to always double check if there is any doubt.
Good luck the rest of the season. Maybe the big buck gods will offer up an even bigger buck if you keep after it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Something was loose or it was more than a few inches onto a table. Or someone was messing with it when you weren't looking. I've got way to much experience with bumps and knocks on a Leupold and they NEVER shift zero. Did you use locktite on the base screws? Did you use a torque wrench to tighten all the screws to proper spec? A miss was the best outcome possible. Could easily have been a gutshot loss.
Never say never. That statement is false.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts