Rolling The Dice Below Truman Dam

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Mailman, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    The wife and I were fishing below Truman Dam for crappie one April afternoon back in 1995. That was 35 pounds ago as you can see. I was using 6 lb test with a crappie tube jig. I didn't weigh this Buffalo I caught but it sure gave me a good fight. I believe that I have caught about every type of fish that swims in Missouri below Truman Dam. When you cast out you are "Rolling The Dice" on just what you might catch. Most of the time it is one of those 100 plus pound rocks like the one I'm standing on.

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Cool! Yeah, I LOVE fishing below dams with light tackle because you never know what you're going to hook into.

My biggest land has been a 45 pound spoonbill on 6 lb. test below Smithville Lake. Had to throw 'er back without a pic cause I didn't have a camera with me!

You'll run into catfish, carp, drum, 'eyes, largemouth, mooneyes......on and on! I love it! Doesn't seem like they run the water out of Smithville like they used to though.

Here's Chairman and I's catfishing trip just on the other side of the way from you!

Parker

3. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    BTW, SWEET picture Mailman!

Parker

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Parker where you and Chairman are sitting I always fish about 50 yards up towards the dam. There is an eddy there that the fish gather in when they are running water. Like you said you never know what you might hook into. Woops.....I just gave away my SECRET FISHING SPOT. Oh well....there is plenty of room.....I'll just move over to the next rock and make room for you. The more the merrier.

5. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Well with Parkers size you may have to move over teo rocks Mailman.

Nice pics fellas....