Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
14,445 Posts
My farm and home store only has 20 ga shells right now, besides 00buck 12's

I was listening to the Sunday afternoon infomercial show Gun Talk and the guy gave a web site you can go to , and you put in what shells/bullets you are lookig for and they will e-mail you vendors who have it in stock and then you can order from them, I am sure they are pricey right now too..

·
Registered
983 Posts
One of the gun/ammo guys at Everharts told me he has killed a few turkeys with a standard 3” steel #4 shell, good enough to 30 yards. On necessity because they posted up all the No lead signs everywhere and that was the best thing he could get at the time. I was looking for some good tungsten for my first turkey hunt.

I will still pay the premium price for tungsten if I can find it though. Might have to order a box on line

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
One of the gun/ammo guys at Everharts told me he has killed a few turkeys with a standard 3” steel #4 shell, good enough to 30 yards. On necessity because they posted up all the No lead signs everywhere and that was the best thing he could get at the time. I was looking for some good tungsten for my first turkey hunt.

I will still pay the premium price for tungsten if I can find it though. Might have to order a box on line
Apex Ammo has some in stock. I'd order now because once NWTF show in Nashville hits it will be hard as hell to find

·
14,445 Posts
One of the gun/ammo guys at Everharts told me he has killed a few turkeys with a standard 3” steel #4 shell, good enough to 30 yards.

The steel #4 is all I use when the birds get spooky and I lay the bow down

·
Registered
661 Posts

The last four or five gobblers I have killed have been with an H&R single shot 20 gauge with a modified choke shooting 3 inch #4 steel shot. It is quickly becoming my favorite gun to tote in the turkey woods. I just make sure to limit my shots to 20-25 yards.

·
Registered
983 Posts
No sense in spending on TSS then. I stocked up on #4 steel loads literally like our lives may depend on it lol. We could probably subsist on squirrels for a good solid year on the #4 steel I have laid up!

·
14,445 Posts
I know you guys have to use steel for waterfowl and hunting some public ground but it would be my last choice for a turkey load. Lead is far better and there is better than lead if you want to spend Mo money.
I hunt public where steel is required. I had no idea there is a problem with it????????
I bought a box of 25 steel #4 about 10 -12 years ago and still have 15 left, as some years never have to use them.
like I mentioned previously, when the turkeys get spooky and I cannot get them with in 20-30 feet I get the shotgun out and shoot them at 20 yards
I set the decoys at 15 feet

·
Registered
661 Posts
I know you guys have to use steel for waterfowl and hunting some public ground but it would be my last choice for a turkey load. Lead is far better and there is better than lead if you want to spend Mo money.
Yeah, I hunt public land so I can’t use lead. I know there is hevi-shot and other non-toxic shot out there but these steel #4 work great if you keep your shots 20-25 yards. I let a nice gobbler walk 2 years ago because he hung up at 35-40 yards and I was using the 20 gauge and steel #4s. If I would have been using my 12 gauge with the turkey choke and #6 hevi-shot it would have been game over for him. You just have to know and respect the limits of the equipment you are using.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts