Road kill

Discussion in 'MWT Community Bulletin Board' started by Lynette, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Lynette

Lynette Member

Oct 18, 2005
    A friend of mine lives out east, she called me this morning complaining about hitting a deer. I asked her if she kept the deer for meat, and she said that in her state it was illegal. That all deer road kill must be called in, and that it is, what is fed to the prisioners.

Has anyone else heard about this practice in the eastern states? Kind of sounds like a decent idea. Any thoughts?

2. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Much better than just throwing the meat away. I had not heard of this practice before. Mostly likely depends on the Health laws of the state I suppose.

Jack

3. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    I've heard of them using deer meat for prisoners......I think that they should give the owner of the car a choice though. After all they are the one who has a messed up car.

4. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    I wouldn't waste good deer meat on state prisoners:mad:, rather see it go to the homeless shelters.

MoBowman ```--------->

5. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I've heard of it before, but don't remember what state it was. I thought they quit doing it because of liability risks with damaged meat and unknown travel/processing time.

I too would prefer to see it go to those in need, and possibly have the prisoners do the processing for them.

(I've had more than one of those road killed deer myself). :banana:

6. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Lynette, that practice has not been happening in NYS anyway ever since the civil liberties unions stopped making prisoners work to earn their keep. Here people can call the state, county or local police and if they want the deer they will give them a tag or a writ for the animal allowing them to posses it.

7. Lynette

Lynette Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I think she is in Ohio right now, she moves around a lot, her spouce is in the military, he does some sort of inspections. I'll call her today to find out what state.

8. Lynette

Lynette Member

Oct 18, 2005
    She's in Indiana. Long story short, have to call road kill deer in because in the middle of highway, her county has donation program in which roadkill deer may be donated to the local jail for processing which then goes to food bank. Deer meat doesn't go to prisoners.

Kind of a bummer, I was thinking how much fun it would be after hitting a possum to deliver it to a prison system for food for the inmates.