Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday afternoon, 3:30pm, we were had just turned from West bound Lindbergh Blvd. to Nouth bound Lemay Ferry Rd. when we noticed some type of animal laying in the road in front of the Hyundai dealership on Lemay Ferry, about 50 ft. from the intersection. As we passed, we noticed it was a Doe. She had been hit very recently because a group of people were standing on the side of the road looking at her in the traffic lane. I was going to get out my .30-.30 and make sure she wasn't suffering, but my father-in-law reminded me that we were in one of the busiest intersections in South St. Louis County. I felt bad for her. I know that we have an abundance of deer in South St. Louis county, specially around Jefferson Barracks cemetary & Park. I was just shocked to see she had gotten hit in the middle of the day in a very busy intersection. My guess is that she was about 80-100lbs. I offered my father-in-law the opportunity to pull over and take her (after permission from the cops of course) but he wasn't interested. He thought that she would have been too damaged after being hit. He did comment that we would had stopped had it been a buck with a nice rack. So, I had the following questions:

Has anyone ever taken fresh road kill?
What kind of problems did you encounter with the meat etc.?
I heard the Mo. Highway Patrol carry some type of road kill deer tags, does St. Louis County PD?

·
5,631 Posts
I've never personally taken road kill but I can't say that I remember having that opportunity. I think that I would depending on how/where she was hit. Chances are if she just got smacked real good and it spun her off the road, the backstraps would probably be fine along with the other side that didn't get hit. The bruising from getting hit by the vehicle would ruin the meat at the impact location.

I have no clue about the law enforcement side of things.

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
I hit one in Andrew county and the local sheriff ask me if I wanted it and gave me a permission slip to posess it.

It was a mature Buck, We skinned it and processed the undamaged meat. It was not very good the more you cooked it the more blood ran out of the meat.

My advice since then, turn em down and walk.

:wave:

·
Registered
131 Posts
My son used to drive school buses when he wasn't working on them and had people call him or another worker would tell him where they seen a fresh kill and he would locate it and if not torn up too bad take it to butcher. Guess he didn't have many problems with it as i think he took 4 one year, and i'm sure he ate them.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
The sheriff's office in the county usually has a list that you can be put on to recieve calls about reported roadkilled deer. We have had some in the past and damage ranged from alot to almost none. You'd be surprised how little meat is damaged many times. Nothing wrong with it if it's not bruised full of blood.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Originally posted by novicehunter
He did comment that we would had stopped had it been a buck with a nice rack.
Not picking on your father-in-law by any means, but just generally...this is the most troubling part of that whole story to me. Not exactly sure why. Anyone else feel that way?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.