Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna get out and hunt the river sloughs tomorrow mornin. I really have never duck hunted much and am wondering what to expect? I would imagine with this cold weather there are some greenheads down?? Any friendly advice would be great. I have a spot so do not need that kind of advice. Just step up, calling, etc

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Some guys throw decoys in a U or a J shape. I just put them all over in a pile with an opening in the middle for the ducks to land.

We picked up some ducks this week with the cold front.

If you ever want me to tag along and show you some things, just holler.

·
Button Buck Aficionado
1,194 Posts
Make sure you get your decoys behind a bull-**** so the current doesn't carry your ducks/dogs down river...river hunting, when at its best, is as good as it gets. Scouting definitely helps...hunt near cut cornfields especially if it snows sunday or tuesday like they're sayin

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I am thinking I really want to get into this duck huntin thing a little more. When I was in college I went a few times and loved it, but now with work, wife, and the goat chasin just not enough hours in the day. Maybe tomorrow will be a catalyst to get goin again. Hardly could sleep last night Im so excited.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
easiest way in my opinion, go somehwere on the river that has blinds built from people, if the party that owns that blind isnt in it by 6am its open tot he public, we luccked out last weekend and some boys had boat trouble and said were in blind such n such its yours were not gunna make it. and those puppies are nice huge and comfy.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I may just be doing the same thing, who knows, maybe we will end up in the same area.
Not a whole lot of advice I can give ya, just be mindful of floating debree in the river, big water can float big debree even when low. Be careful when walking in slag water, often times, even if it is shallow, the mud is very deep and will suck you down, could be dangerous. The suction will hold on and it will take something solid to pull you out, and definently, never go alone on the river. there is a decent size stl crew here so feel free to contact us if you need a body to hunt with:cheers:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
i dont know my way around here but i usually go up to the river by luosiana by bowling green i got fam in bowling green so shanks and river is local

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am goin with a couple of other guys this weekend, but definitly would be up for huntin with some of you all in future. I think we are putting in up around the Old Monroe area.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Be cognizant of the blinds, and the areas they are located. In those areas, we are not allowed to just go and hunt, it MUST be from one of those blinds.

MDC has the restricted zones, they are part of the Upper Mississippi maps, Im pretty sure, and the map will have the restricted zones on there. The area is broken down by Pools.

:cheers:

The maps are in the online Atlas.

[Edited on 12-4-2009 by knockemdeadd]

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
gotta watch for ill and mo blinds you can be in a mo blind and 100yrds away right by ya is and ill blind

1 - 11 of 11 Posts