Ritual for making the shot.

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by henry, Feb 23, 2006.

1. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Mines real simple. I count on my practice to hold my shooting form and accuracy together. I just keep telling my self to pick a spot. If I don't hit anything like a limb to deflect my arrow,,it normally goes where I aim it,,,,I just need to remind myself to aim for the right spot.

:cheers::cheers:

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Dont spend time looking at the rack. Decide well before the moment of truth if you have a shooter coming in. After that, consider the shot and only the shot. Hard to do I know, but making a good shot is all that counts.

Trust your instincts, trust your equipment, trust your knowledge, trust all the practice and preparation you have invested, and have fun with it!

3. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Mine was to practice while wearing the same clothes I'd hunt in. Sometimes a jacket is just a little too bulky or loose and the string will hit it. Arrows do crazy things when that happens. :wink:

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I now have only two things on my list. No. 1 Pick a small spot on the deer for your target. No. 2 Make sure that there are no "hidden" trees between you and your target. Believe me the No. 2 item is very important.

5. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    I say the same thing I do when shooting my rilfes, This thing is going to kill me if this shot doesn't kill it first.

6. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Shoulder, shoulder, shoulder... put the cross hairs on the shoulder! Squeeeeze! (Substitute head for shoulder in turkey hunting situations...)

I think you get the idea... change slightly for different weapons, ect.

7. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    I remind myself just to be patient. Don't rush the shot, but just take my time:)

MoBowman ```---------->

8. Anchor point Anchor point Anchor point. Nuckle behind the ear and kisser in the corner of my mouth. And dont concentrate on the pin concentrate on the spot on the deer were i want the arrow to hit.

chad

9. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    I usualy dont think about the shot until its over with, once i decide to take a shot its all instinct from there.

10. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    If I'm outside, I shoot 10 arrows @ 20, 10 @ 30, 10 @ 40, 10 @ 50, 10 @ 60, 10 @ 70. Then I'll pick a distance, usually 40 or 50 and just start plugging away until I'm tired. If I'm not shooting well, I'll move up till I am and then work back again.

As far as rituals I don't have any, other than maybe a :stickfight: every now and then if I'm not concentrating.

Indoors, I just shoot till I'm wore out or bored and pack up and go home.

As for your original question CP, it's much too complicated to put down here. I'll try to condense it down soon and post it. (Plus it's kinda top secret info!) :D

11. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Another good practice trick is; when you're on your way back to your shooting spot from pulling your arrows, just stop at an unknown distance/random spot and turn around and shoot. It helps you learn to judge distance, rather than only shooting at known distances.

12. cowboy

cowboy New Member

mine is
    stay calm
    pick a spot
    aim
    squeeze
    hold

i just run through this until the shot is done. it takes my mind off of the excitement.

13. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    Draw, settle the kisser in the corner of my mouth, string across my nose and center the site in the peep. Settle thumb on backside of ear/jaw. Relax fingers on bowhand....

Mike, I have experienced that sensation of pushing against the bow with teh bow hand and having the arrows go off course, try relaxing your elbow just a hair...Also, what sized spot/bullseye are you shooting at? I find that I shoot tighter groups when I am shooting at a very small piece of tape or something like that versus a pie plate or something. Its a mental thing for me, but I focus better when I have to aim at a small target. The ol' aim small miss small idea.

14. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I cannot target shoot for anything, especailly if I'm not shooting good. I think too much and either target panic sets in or I get frustrated and start over annalizing and shoot worse.
    When shooting at an animal I try not to think too much only to concentrate on the spot I want to hit.
    On the hog miss last weekend I failed to pick my spot before I touched the release.

15. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Pick a spot, draw, hit and hold anchor point, settle bow arm back on spot...lol, release, follow through...ALOT easier said than done!!!

16. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Tooth Paste! I agree with just about everything I have read the only thing, before I touch off the release is toothe paste:confused: I say that to myself to make sure everything that can effect the shot is relaxed. If I couldnt squeeze toothe paste out of a tube then the bow will shoot itself.
    When target shooting I shoot the first arrow then it becomes my target it wont be long before you're breaking knocks!
    In the woods, I try not to think at all if you shoot enough youre instincts will take over. Nothing is fail safe. As proven on the hog hunt by myself and others:whinging:
    Good luck and good shooting!

17. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I do this also in league and it almost guarantees that I will NOT break knocks! :rotfl:

18. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    you know rat...building ones self confidence is the foundation of creating a champion! I too have had the arrows with their own mind syndrome!:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

19. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Agreed! You are indeed wise.

For me, I liken indoor leagues, or 3-D for that matter, to billiards, golf or even bowling. Some nites you are in the zone, and some nites you cant make the 8-ball in a 5gal bucket.

All comes down to your level of concentration... and sometimes, your level of adult beverages :wink4:

20. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    What bow are you shooting?? I forget...