Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not very well educated on the difference between a rimfire scope and a centerfire scope. What are the disadvantages of mounting say a Simmons 3-9x32 on my Marlin model 60 .22LR?

I recall hearing something about rimfire and centerfire scopes having a different something or other but I can't remember. My family has always retired deer hunting scopes by mounting them on .22's and they always seem to perform rather well.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a ballistics chart for a .22LR?

Any advice would be much appreciated. :wave:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I am not 100% but think that rimfire scopes have their parallax set at 50 yds. instead of 100. I have shot a lot of .22's in silhouette and bench rest mathches but all of my scopes have had an adjustable objective and I have never owned a rimfire scope.

I have no idea where you could find a ballistics chart for a .22LR.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

·
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
parralax! That's what I was thinking of!

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, what difference will that make in the accuracy of my rifle as viewed through the centerfire scope?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I don't think it would make any difference in accuracy. It might have better clarity, but I doubt you could really tell the difference. I have shot a lot of deer with a fixed objecive scope at less than 100 yds and haven't had any problems.

What do you plan on using the .22 for?

The 32mm objective scope you are talking about would be a good choice. The bigger the objective the more light is let in. If you aren't planning on really early morning or late afternoon shooting, then the 3-9x32 would be just fine.

Another difference I think that the rimfire scopes have is that they aren't made to withstand the recoil like centerfire scopes.

·
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Landlover, I'll be plinking and hunting tree rats with this rifle. I've already mounted the scope. I think I'll be pleased.

My dad has been squirrel hunting with this exact same setup (same scope and everything) for several years. His setup is a tack driver so I expect that mine will be also!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
i'm with landlover on this one, as long as you don't tell those squirrels they where hit 1/4" off from where you where aiming they'll never know it . :rotfl:

·
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.