Rifled Slugs

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Bubba Jr., Oct 29, 2010.

1. Bubba Jr.

Bubba Jr. New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good brand of rifled slugs? I am wanting to use my shotgun in the brush for deer which would be close range ( 10-60 yards). Me and dad were talking about getting a slug gun but that's not happening before gun season. Thanks for your input.

2. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009

3. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

Just like any ammo, ya need to get it out there and shoot it to see how your shotgun likes it. I used remington and federal with good luck. Used an improved choke.

4. Bubba Jr.

Bubba Jr. New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    [rquote=1870384&tid=130208&author=Hideandwatch]Just like any ammo, ya need to get it out there and shoot it to see how your shotgun likes it. I used remington and federal with good luck. Used an improved choke.[/rquote]

Does the choke tube matter alot? And do you mean improved cylinder or improved modified?

5. TrackerCasey

TrackerCasey Active Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Mid-Michigan
    Take the choke out and on a smooth bore shoot a rifled slug if it is a rifled barrel shoot a sabot

6. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I always thouhg one neaded to use a cylender bore shoke when shoting slugs for smoth barrel shotguns. CYL means the shoke is same diamiter as the barrrel is no constriction.

I hope your shotgun shots slugs good. A few years ago i went threw 5 different brands and types and never did find one that paternd good out of our 870 20ga. I still fealling the pain of the racoil form those as well. Bruttal things they are to shot.

7. yankee

yankee Senior Member

i shot rifled slugs from a modified choke for yrs, a fixed choke ithaca pumpgun

8. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Maybe that is why mine dint patern worth a hote. I was using a cyl choke. prolly to open.

9. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    I always use Remington.I took and cut the Choke out of a Barrel.Shorter Barrel,shoots Slugs Great and a Heck of Rabbit and Quail Barrel.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin uses Spiral Colored Pea Shooter.

10. vmcfadden

vmcfadden Member

Oct 5, 2008
    PA
    Hornady sst shoot great out of mine.