Rifle Season Tactics

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by dominicpeters, Nov 4, 2010.

1. dominicpeters

dominicpeters New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I'm wondering what other hunters' tactics are for rifle season with all of the hunting pressure. It seems the best time for buck movement has been in the last couple of weeks, but will be halted when rifle season rolls around. I'm taking a week vacation starting on the 13th and am looking for some suggestions to land a good buck...

2. RAGENTHECAGE

RAGENTHECAGE Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    MOBERLY MO
    sit and wait, if it comes then it comes

3. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    gt it stand, take nap
    wake up, look around, smoke cigarette, drink a soda, take nap
    wake up, look around, hit grunt tube, drink a soda, smoke a cigarette, take nap
    rinse and repeat

4. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    My 2 best rifle bucks were both taken on fridays. A few days after the opening weekend crowd leaves it generally gets pretty well back to normal as far as deer movement. Time in the stand is the best recipe.

5. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Time on stand is definitely the best medicine. I do believe it takes the deer quite some time to get back to "noprmal" after gun season. That said they still have to eat and they will seek to breed any unbred does after gun season.

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1880874&tid=130992&author=Jeremy]gt it stand, take nap
    rinse and repeat[/rquote]
    Just so folks are sure, Jeremy is joking here. :D

I certainly wouldnt rule out this method though.
    I'll leave the soda, naps and cigs back at camp.

Dadakota nailed it... stand time and patience. He's pretty smart for someone who claims to not deer hunt a lot. :rof2:

just kidding Wags... good luck this fall man. :2thumbsup:

7. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Same to ya Brotha. When we gonna get together and have a frosty? Got some jerky for you to try.:cheers:

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1880938&tid=130992&author=DADAKOTA]Same to ya Brotha. When we gonna get together and have a frosty? Got some jerky for you to try.:cheers:[/rquote]
    Oh... soon, I hope. I may be on my way through for some kansas ditch chickens but its all up in the air right now.
    Let me know what your MO deer season looks like and I could possibly drop by for a soda or so if it works.
    Got me numba bro... we'll keep in touch. Keep knocking them ducks outta the air in the meantime and good racks your way during rifle season. :cheers:

9. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
  10. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    Stay on stand. Most hunters leave the woods between 9:00 - 11:00. They my push deer your way.

11. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    Hunt where you can see a long ways or tight cover where they will be holed up

12. MajorWyss

MajorWyss New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Audrain
    My tactic is going to be the same as usual. Sit in the stand as much as possible, and wait for the impatient hunters around me to move stuff to me :D

13. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Sniper tactics, lay low and eat chili so I can fart and use it as a cover scent. If they're funky enough the deer will come to investigate what's rotten.

14. combatmedic

combatmedic Senior Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Boone County
    be on stand from 10-2

15. riverrat09

riverrat09 New Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Norborne, Mo
    Opening day, sit in the stand all day long. If I don't see a shooter then, Day 2 sit in stand come down around noon to watch the chiefs game then spend the rest of evening in stand.
    Gotta put in time and be patient.
    Patient patient patient.

16. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1880932&tid=130992&author=rat][rquote=1880874&tid=130992&author=Jeremy]gt it stand, take nap
    rinse and repeat[/rquote]
    Just so folks are sure, Jeremy is joking here. :D

I certainly wouldnt rule out this method though.
    I'll leave the soda, naps and cigs back at camp.

:[/rquote]

i'm usually good till about 10am..then its deffinitely time for shut-eye. i figure, the more i sleep, the less i smoke. :rof2: I'll probably get me a can of kodiak, but the sodas will deffinitely be there...gotta have my caffiene. I'm going to attempt an all day sit, but i'm not sure if its gonna happen or not. i dont think i have any vaca days, and i work every other saturday..so my rifle season is only 2.5 days long. otherwise i may be able to get an hour in each morning before work..but thats about it. this working thing is cramping my style this year.:whiteflag:

17. bigm

bigm New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Columbia Mo.
    [rquote=1881177&tid=130992&author=combatmedic]be on stand from 10-2[/rquote] Agree. I've had my best luck mid day.

18. glennasher1

glennasher1 Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    My business usually picks up about Tuesday during rifle season, give the deer a day to settle down after opening weekend, and all those city guys go back to work:D

I've killed two out of three big deer on a Tuesday. Opening day is usually a bust for me.

19. Steven

Steven Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Fenton/Owensville
    Get in the stand and hope for some luck.

20. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Make sure I have plenty of gas in the jeep to run ac if warm and heater if cold :wave: