Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@beanpile and I have been discussing pistol scopes a bunch over the last week.

He's trying to find the perfect setup for his, and I'm trying to find something different for mine.

I'm running a Bushnell Trophy 2-6 on my Savage striker in 7mm-08(no brake). I like it but I don't love it. I was pondering on whether or not I should put a scout scope like the Vortex Crossfire 2-7 on it, or just go all out and outfit it with a rifle scope and muzzle brake.

Which leads me to my question... What scope setup is everyone running on their pistols, and what is the eye relief you are getting? How accurate is the scope you have, and as you adjust the magnification what are your thoughts? Be it AR, Bolt action, Single Shot, or Revolver i just want to get more info and insight on scoping a pistol and some do's and don'ts.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I don't know much about pistol scopes, but I did run a 2X Tasco on a Colt Delta Elite for awhile. It didn't seem to matter, as the group sizes didn't really shrink much. It was fun to use it on the comped gun with little 135HPs, though, as the scope didn't move much when it was shot. Eye relief was excellent, because of the low power.
My buddy had a 10X Burris pistol scope on his Savage Striker .22/250, and he could shoot groups at 100 yards of under 1", BUT, the eye relief was a very, very touchy, and it was a headache trying to use it on prairie dogs, he didn't keep it very long.
I don't know exactly what you need, or the distance you plan to use it, but the scout scope idea doesn't seem to be a bad idea at all. I don't like muzzle brakes, but I've not used them on a rifle-chambered pistol, so I can't really comment on that.
Based on the "wiggle factor" though, I think I'd go with no more than a straight 4x, as I wiggle too much to get really precise with anything more on a handgun.

·
1,579 Posts
I have a Leupold FX-II on my revolver and I like it a lot . It has about 18 inches of eye relief which fits me well , and I’m pretty accurate out to 100 yards or so . It’s just a straight 4 power , not a variable , so not sure if that’s what you’d be looking for on your set up or not .
022BD036-5395-4C57-AAD9-1AF17ED6EFAC.jpeg

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know much about pistol scopes, but I did run a 2X Tasco on a Colt Delta Elite for awhile. It didn't seem to matter, as the group sizes didn't really shrink much. It was fun to use it on the comped gun with little 135HPs, though, as the scope didn't move much when it was shot. Eye relief was excellent, because of the low power.
My buddy had a 10X Burris pistol scope on his Savage Striker .22/250, and he could shoot groups at 100 yards of under 1", BUT, the eye relief was a very, very touchy, and it was a headache trying to use it on prairie dogs, he didn't keep it very long.
I don't know exactly what you need, or the distance you plan to use it, but the scout scope idea doesn't seem to be a bad idea at all. I don't like muzzle brakes, but I've not used them on a rifle-chambered pistol, so I can't really comment on that.
Based on the "wiggle factor" though, I think I'd go with no more than a straight 4x, as I wiggle too much to get really precise with anything more on a handgun.
My ultimate goal for for the pistol is to be able to stretch it out to 300 yards maximum. It's a fun shooter, and all around joy to shoot.

Mostly it will be shot from a shooting house, bench bag, or bi-pods I have mounted on the front.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Leupold FX-II on my revolver and I like it a lot . It has about 18 inches of eye relief which fits me well , and I’m pretty accurate out to 100 yards or so . It’s just a straight 4 power , not a variable , so not sure if that’s what you’d be looking for on your set up or not .
I'm definitely looking for something variable, have you tried anything else on that pistol? And does the scope handle the recoil well?

·
1,579 Posts
I'm definitely looking for something variable, have you tried anything else on that pistol? And does the scope handle the recoil well?
It’s the only scope I’ve had on it and it handles recoil without any problems. My brother in law has the same scope that you have on his revolver (I think ) , and I liked it as well once I could get on target . I have trouble finding good eye relief with his scope but he doesn’t , so I think that it’s just my old eyes vs his old eyes .

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@timberdoodle that's my issue, I hate floating around trying to find the right angle of eye relief to take a shot. I feel like shortening it could alleviate some of that movement, hence the scout scope idea.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It doesn't recoil all that much even shooting a factory 140gr bullet, but I wonder if a rifle scope would just be to much.

·
1,579 Posts
It sure seems like you could get on target easier with a scout scope that has a bigger objective. The concern for me would be the 10 inch eye relief vs 18 on a handgun scope. But I suppose that’s up to the individual. What might seem awkward to one person, may be very comfortable to another. As you said , you’ll be shooting from a bench so it may be a different feel than what shooting sticks would be ,

·
just a no body
14,409 Posts
thats a mean lookn critter.
I have been researching the Scout on pistols and on the Ruger forum it seems to be a popular option..one guy posted this pic

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sure seems like you could get on target easier with a scout scope that has a bigger objective. The concern for me would be the 10 inch eye relief vs 18 on a handgun scope. But I suppose that’s up to the individual. What might seem awkward to one person, may be very comfortable to another. As you said , you’ll be shooting from a bench so it may be a different feel than what shooting sticks would be ,
@beanpile could answer that better, but I think the 9.75 eye relief is only at 7x. All the others are a bit further back than that. I know the Bushnell has a full 20 inches on it.

Reactions: beanpile

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats a mean lookn critter.
I have been researching the Scout on pistols and on the Ruger forum it seems to be a popular option..one guy posted this pic
Did it say what that was mounted on? I know those come in 300blk, .223, .243, and 6.5CM. I wouldn't mind having that setup in a 300BLK

·
just a no body
14,409 Posts
@beanpile could answer that better, but I think the 9.75 eye relief is only at 7x. All the others are a bit further back than that. I know the Bushnell has a full 20 inches on it.
I put the scout on my AR pistol and altho I did not spend a lot of time messing with it ( I just put the scope in the Rings Saddle) and didn't cinch it down the eye relief at 7 was slightly less than at 2.. actually got acceptable to my eyes ( without glass's) from 4-7X. My purpose for the AR is for a quick reaction weapon in which I probably would not take the time to find my glasses altho I found the same results putting on my bifocals..I'd say all in all from 2-7X we MIGHT be talking an inch differential

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually the more I think on it, I want it in a 6.5 Gren!

Reactions: beanpile

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well now I really need to buy something. A guy here at work just bought the Bushnell Trophy off of me.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Here’s my current setup now.

View attachment 220990
i had the same pistol only in SS. Sold it to someone here but can't remember who. anyway i had i think a 4x on it and could shoot clay birds at 100 yrds regularly with it.
the clays were sitting, not moving needless to say. easily minuet of deer vitals.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts