Rifle hunt from ground or stand?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by stevezim, Nov 11, 2010.

1. stevezim

stevezim New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Do most of you rifle hunt from the ground or a treestand?

I have always hunted from the ground, but I like the extra view you get from a stand plus it keeps your scent off the ground. If you hunt from a stand, do you shoot freehand or use some sort of shooting sticks? My hang-on stands are not equipped with any sort of shooting rail and I am not sure how steady it would be shooting freehand out of a treestand. Thanks.

2. Trad-hunter

Trad-hunter Active Member

Oct 22, 2007
    S W Mo.
    Mainly the ground. I like to be able to move easily.

3. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Mainly have been gun hunting out of tower stands in recent years. This year, on the same property, I've been relegated to a ladder stand. This will be my first time gun hunting from a ladder stand.

4. BuschCamocan4life

BuschCamocan4life New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    would take a stand in the air any chance i get. You can see more and when your on the ground, you are eye level with the deer

5. Stud Hunter

Stud Hunter Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Blue Springs, Mo
    Depends on where I'm huntin but I would say 65% in the stand and 35% on the ground.

6. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    Mostly on ground BUT I built a new enclosed, elevated stand this year and can't wait to hunt it. 2 more days!

7. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    Always been a stand guy. This will be the first opener in a ground box blind.

8. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Stands and shooting houses, I like to be off the ground at least a bit.:shrug:

9. Joeyman

Joeyman New Member

Feb 29, 2008
    St. Louis Mo
    i will be on the ground this weekend

10. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    enclosed blind, slightly elevated. When not with the wife I still would rather be in a tree most of the time.

11. blevely

blevely New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    Stand, I can't stand hunting from the ground, I get crazy bored and fall asleep for hours

12. jakesdad

jakesdad New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    palmyra
    Both,but mostly from stand.I've hunted some gnarly,thick stuff that I sat on the ground because I could actually see better than from a tree stand.

13. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    If I am feeling too tired to carry the climber, or I leave the climber on a tree and decide to hunt a different spot, I will hunt from the ground.

I usually will use the climber though. I can see and shoot much farther in the timber from up high.

14. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    I have killed deer both ways and enjoy doing both.

15. ImADoeBuster

ImADoeBuster New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Jefferson City
    This is the first year I will be hunting from a ground blind because i will be hunting a field most all past years has been from stands

16. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    The first 2 weeks of gun I am in the stand, easier to keep my eye on the idiots from the city that way!!!!!

17. I usually hunt from the water- made a barge and erected a blind on it

18. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
  19. chasin

chasin New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Miller Field N Endzone
    Depending on the topogrophy of the area...I like both. Stress caused by the height of a stand is reduced by being on the ground but I have never been winded in a tree. :D