Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Rifle for my wife?

4K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  callaojoe 
#1 ·
I am trying to get my wife into whitetail hunting and am looking on buying a new rifle. I am leaning heavely on a weatherby vanguard compact in 7mm-08. Does anyone own one of these or have any comments on the 7mm-08?

#2 ·
I can't comment on the rifle but the 7mm-08 is a fine choice of caliber for a new shooter. At least I think so as recoil is fairly mild. You might also look at the H&R single shots. Nice rifles and fairly inexpensive. A good thing if she ends up not liking to shoot.

Jack

#3 ·
I also have 2 young sons that will wind up using this gun if the wife does not take to hunting. One reason I like the weatherby compact, is because it comes with 2 stocks, one with a 12 1/2" reach and one with a 13 1/2" reach for a full sized hunter.

#5 ·
Originally posted by lwardlow
get you a single shot 270 or 243 for starters so they can work there way up the cal size
I'd say if you're gonna spend the money, go ahead and get the 7mm-08. It's a heck of a lot more gun than the .243 but the recoil will be similar to the smaller calibers. The .270 might still kick too much for a lady or a youngster depending on their size and pain threshold.

#6 ·
I went to the Weatherby site and looked at the specs and functions of the Vanguard. The "Compact" package seem to fit exactly what you need. I say go for it. This has got me thinking about my grandson that is 9 now. This just may be the gun for him also. It is a slick looking rifle. With the Weatherby name it has to be pretty good.

#9 ·
I'd think hard about the 25-06 for the caliber. Hard to beat in my opinion.

#11 ·
I have both a Weatherby Vanguard, 300 weatherby mag, and the H&R Single shot. 243, these two firearms have done me well. You may have the same luck. The 243, syn, ss, is a truck gun so I do feel it is pretty reliable as well. Good Luck in your quest sir.

#12 ·
My Girlfriends Mom shoots a Browning Micro A Bolt in a 308. Mom is a small woman and she does very well with it. When mom doesnt hunt the girlfriend uses it and the men try to get to use it.. I think its the fav at deer camp.
I'd seriously consider the ABolt ..they make it in a 25-06 too which I think might be a better Caliber for such a purpose

#14 ·
Personally, I wish Weatherby would quit marketing the Vanguard as a Weatherby, cause it aint.....:bangin:

Aside from that, I would think the 7-08 would be a great cartridge for your wife's deer rifle...:sniper:

#15 ·
I've shot the Vanguard in 300 weatherby mag....and it shot great! I'm sure that compact model will shoot just as good. Pretty cool they give you both stocks. My lil sis shoots a 2506 in a Remington mountain rifle...she and my niece both love it...I like mine too!!!

#16 ·
Originally posted by callaojoe
Personally, I wish Weatherby would quit marketing the Vanguard as a Weatherby, cause it aint.....:bangin:

Aside from that, I would think the 7-08 would be a great cartridge for your wife's deer rifle...:sniper:
Who makes this gun, if not Weatherby?

#17 ·
Their made by HOWA in japan....

Now, they are still very nice rifles for the money, but to me their not in the same class as a MK-V.... Guess I've never been a big fan of companies puttin their name on something they didn't make.

Remington does it, Mossberg does it, so does just about everyone else, I just think that if it's a Weatherby, it ought to be made by Weatherby.....:soapbox:

Please don't confuse my statements as thinkin I don't think they're good rifles, but I just wish they'd use a different name...

Kinda like what Hoyt does by marketing their less expensive bows as Reflex.....

Just my $.02....

#18 ·
I could be wrong, but I think....(I know, dangerous), about 10 yrs ago or so, Howa made all of Weatherby's barrels....not sure about now...maybe you know? I used to work for a company here in town that made "gun drills", we retooled a drill for Howa. Also made some for Remington, one was for the model 597, in .22 cal.
I would have to agree, they are not in the same class as the MKV...

#19 ·
Howa used to make S&W rifles too. They are good rifles and if Weatherby backs it up then why worry? The 7-08 is an excellent round.

#20 ·
Yup, HOWA did some work on the MK-V's as well (Several years ago), the one I have is sposed to be 100% made in the usa (Maine), but you never know....

I believe the Vanguards made by HOWA were also sold as S & W's and HOWA & mossberg 1500's at one point.

The vanguard's are very solid rifles, that are guaranteed to shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds right out of the box...

Like I said, I just get tired of the fact that before you buy something ya have to go research all over the place to find out what You're really gettin.

#22 ·
That 300 Weatherby mag shot really well...brand new, out of the box, with Winchester Supremes, loaded with Barnes X's....shot less than an inch group at 100 yds. And the recoil was alot less than what I anticipated...lol. Killed my first elk with that setup. My buddies kid won that gun at a Whitetails Unlimited banquet....I believe it was worth the price of that raffle ticket!!!

#26 ·
I thank you all for your input. I do not know why companies market products they do not make. I'm sure it all comes down to $$$. Even though the Vanguard series are made by Howa, they are made to Weatherby specs and backed up by Weatherby. I have a Vanguard Synthetic 30-06, that is a tack driving machine. I payed $450 for it and could not be happier. I have also shot several deer with this gun and it does a tremendous job. I believe I have successfully harvested every animal I have ever taken a shot at with this gun. My point is, I have no doubt the Vanguards are quality rifles, especially for the price. The real overriding factor I like about the vangaurd compact is it has that extra stock to grow with the hunter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.