Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are these guys serious about these calls??? the cheapest one was over $80!!! they went all the way up too $140!!!

this year will be my first year ducking hunting. i bought a migratory bird perment and a migrtory bird hunting conservation stamp. so im legal for teal, ducks, and geese right?? i just wanted to make shure there wasnt a federal or state stamp that i needed to purchase also like in california. and when does ducks open???
thanks! cant wait for dove to open so i can get a little practice in!!!

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
hunting license, migratory bird stamp and federal duck stamp is what you need to throw steel at ducks in mo mo land. as far as duck calls go, i know guys who are using old wood calls they had for years that cost them less than a couple bucks that sound like musicians to the duckies. i hear a lot about the r-n-t boys but will never own one. i know a guy on this board who uses the kwack whacker calls and has called a lot of birds in that several of us on these boards shot at. myself i have a kwack whacker polly and some duck commander calls that i learned to blow like a kazoo years ago when i was a duck hunter instead of a watcher. find a call you like and can make work and forget about names. i would suggest a double reed to start out with but that is just me and i can't call a duck to save my life.;)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wingman, i just have a migratory bird permt ($6) and a migratory bird hunting and conservation stamp ($15). so i need to get a federal duck stamp too??? i went to the post office and told the guy i needed a duck stamp to hunt ducks and he sold me a migtatory birdhunting and conservation stamp( has a pic of a ross goose on it). so do i have to go back to post office and buy a federal stamp too to be legal??? im going to be duck hunting on rivers, lakes, and ponds. i want to be shure im legal.

yeah man i was just dumbfounded on the price of those calls. this is my first year duck hunting so i ought to be learing alot this year!!!

·
5,632 Posts
The $15 stamp IS the federal stamp.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Sounds like your legal to hunt ducks as long as you have your small games license as well which you probably already have.

As far as calls go, I know guys that swear by them R-n-T calls and still sound bad on it. I'd say get you lower priced call, say a Primo's Wrench call or something similar for under $20, and learn how and when to blow it especially with this being your first season that way if you don't get hooked like most people (Rebel :p ) your not out too much. I'm kinda partial to Kwack Wacker poly/wood calls mainly because their in my price range $30 and easy to blow. All the R-n-T calls I've blowen seem to take too much air for my liking. Sometime's the best calling is no calling at all, just let the birds work.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Sounds like you're legal. Make sure you sign the stamp.

I own a ton of different calls RNTs, Kwack wackers, foiles etc. All the way from $10 up to $150 and believe me when I say that the person blowing the call is a lot more important than the call itself. If you're just starting out you'd be better off buying a cheap call to learn on. Kwack wacker poly, haydels DR-85, Primos Wench, or a Buck Gardner call are all good choices.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
well i have a few bubbys thats sound terible on a call no matter the type. Now this was a few yrs ago when i hunted the ducks, a friend of mine built great calls i ask him to build three calls just like his and dont put the hole all the way thru and told when they could blow that they could call ducks in my blind

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.