Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like its been a while since this was discussed and I have not heard anything about MDC's current plans.

Saturday morning on one of the KC Sports talk shows, the guys who do the outdoor show had a lively discussion regarding Kansas regs vs MO regs, dates, seasons, etc. It also included some calls about antler point restrictions.

What is the current state of the union on this for Missouri anyway? Everything I heard from the test in the counties where they had it were pretty positive.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'd like to know how the honest mistakes are handled in the areas where they do the restrictions. you know it's gonna happen, someone gets buck fever and the buck ir running a doe hard, he whistles, bleats, and finally yells to get the buck to stop for a brief instant for a shot. He is sure it has at least 4 points on one side and dropps him. Then he walks up to discover it is a 3x3. Now what? He tells the game warden who takes the deer and re-issues his tag for reporting an honest mastake? Or he fines him which will make him either leave that deer to rot the next time or just not report it at all?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldnt it work like any other violation?

Cant shoot hen pheasants and that decision is just a split second...

Can't shoot certain species of waterfowl....

We have limits on fish...and we have slot limits...I mean how difficult is it to expect people to be sure and know what they are shooting before they shoot it?

Or going over the limit on waterfowl points cause you shoot a hen rather than a drake..

Rules are rules in any situation. Just cause you didnt pay attention to a speed limit sign and get caught speeding doesnt give you a free pass.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Data was just comments from the people in those counties. Feedback I heard was pretty much positive, the meat guys shot does as was hoped for and the buck hunters seemed to feel good about the move to seeing more mature bucks and slowing down the spike/buttion buck/forky kills.

·
10,942 Posts
you shoot a 3 instead of a 4 and ya get a ticket, no matter how nice and honest ya are. ya go fishing and catch 3 bass that you know are 15 inches but guess what when the agent measures them they are 14.5.......you get a ticket. them boys dont have sympithy in their pocket.........they inforce the laws.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CP...I dont keep a log but its safe to say that with the large numbers of landowners I dealt with in my job and the fact I spent 100% of my time working in agriculture that I talked to a lot of people and this is not a rare subject to be discussed...so Id say a good way to say it is "quite a few".

Generally, the feeling I got from landowners was that they see benefit from more does being taken for both herd health as well as reduce crop damage. And everyone would like to see more mature bucks, even the people who just enjoy seeing deer.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Originally posted by Hannibal
you shoot a 3 instead of a 4 and ya get a ticket, no matter how nice and honest ya are. ya go fishing and catch 3 bass that you know are 15 inches but guess what when the agent measures them they are 14.5.......you get a ticket. them boys dont have sympithy in their pocket.........they inforce the laws.
I dont think the fish comparison works well because after you catch the fish, you can measure it, examine it, take pictures with it, and release it safely. There is no honest mistake when you have an illegal fish. The waterfowl comparison probably makes a real close comparison. I dont hunt waterfowl so all of those rules are new to me. I suspect most guys that make an honest mistake when duck hunting aint gonna call the game warden if a mistake happens. Either the duck is gonna go in someone elses bag, or be left in the lake, of just be taken and not counted. I suspect the same is going to happen with honest mistakes with the deer. If the game wardens are gonna play by the rules, then there will be some bucks that get taken by mistake and will either be left in the field or just not counted. I dont see too many people picking up the phone and saying "Hey Mr. game warden, I made a mistake, please come out to my house and write me a ticket!" Might not happen a lot, but I can see it happening.

·
just a no body
16,020 Posts
I think what happens is that if you think its a doe & it ends up being a spike..those spikes are knocked off pretty quick.....If you make an "honest mistake" nobody better ever know about it..unfortunatly thats the way its got to be.

Tickets have been given for "honest" mistakes before this law came about & surely it will continue to be that way

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
well if they let you go,then they have to let everyone else go to. don't they?

·
Former Chicken Man
20,432 Posts
:roll2: No. Do you think police write a ticket to every person they pull over? They can use their own judgement.
He looked up my history, and I've never had a violation in 33 years of hunting and fishing, and I think that along with me calling rather than them catching me worked to my favor.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I dont know, but I would also suspect that the fine for an illegal deer would be much steeper than one for an illegal duck. If that's the case, that will bear some weight on what decision someone will make if they make a mistake.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Originally posted by Bowpredator
I'd like to know how the honest mistakes are handled in the areas where they do the restrictions. you know it's gonna happen, someone gets buck fever and the buck ir running a doe hard, he whistles, bleats, and finally yells to get the buck to stop for a brief instant for a shot. He is sure it has at least 4 points on one side and dropps him. Then he walks up to discover it is a 3x3. Now what? He tells the game warden who takes the deer and re-issues his tag for reporting an honest mastake? Or he fines him which will make him either leave that deer to rot the next time or just not report it at all?
If there's a question of whether or not he's legal, why shoot him? Clearly I.D. your target.

Take the doe. You know she's legal.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Guys a shot a doe last year ,I know it was a doe,infact I would swear on a stack of bibles,but when I got to it it had one spike and a short fork,thought maybe I shot 2 with one shot,but no,I want antler restrictions where I hunt but its not in my section but remember the trees and sticks can hide them horns in the woods,not everyone shoots there deer in fields and acccidents do happens,be honest and chances are you will not be chastized

·
Registered
453 Posts
My land is an antler ristriction county and I can say that myself and all the neighbors I have talked to agree 100% that APR's are in fact working. Doe harvests are up and sighting's of bigger bucks are up. The bottom line on the law is this. it keeps honest people honest and law breakers well they aren't really worried about it. It takes alittle more self disciplin to hunt an area with APR's you have to verify that what you shoot is what you thought you were shooting.

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
i can't agree with that.if you can't 100 per cent identify what you are shooting at don't shoot it. or get a ticket,but since i don't shoot does ,i don't worry about it.:rotfl:

·
5,631 Posts
Originally posted by droptine
If there's a question of whether or not he's legal, why shoot him? Clearly I.D. your target.

Take the doe. You know she's legal.
Lots of widom in that there statement! Rather uncharacteristic, eh, Matt?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.