Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19,950 Posts
We actually named this spot Cedar Ridge... It’s part of a glade/ridge that runs East & West.... This is the West end of the ridge that we’ve been restoring. I hate to mess with it to much due to the high percentage sets/kills this particular area/plot produces... Ultimately the cedars will be dropped and once dried down we plan to run fire the length of the ridge.. see what comes back native wise....

Plant Plant community Deer Elk Tree
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Wood Twig
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Tree Trunk
Sky Plant Cloud Natural landscape Tree
Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape Cloud
Plant community Plant Sky Natural environment Natural landscape
Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape Shade

·
Registered
19,950 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How many years are you into your restoration? Any prescribed fires?
This particular clearing is about 5 yrs with cedars removed. Have been working to clear them from surrounding area but its slow going. Never relized just how many cedars could grow in such small areas. I use fire often burned area in picture January of this year.

·
Registered
19,950 Posts
Went ahead and cleared the remaining cedars off the west facing ridge/glade.... The perimeter of the plot is mostly White Oaks that are raining Acorns... Along with a section of persimmon trees that I left in the South East corner that are also loaded with persimmons every year. The soil is prepped for drilling some cereal grains.. waiting on a rain event...
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Plant Tree
Sky Plant Plant community Cloud Natural landscape
Sky Cloud Plant Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
19,950 Posts
Have a decent stand of clover and a brassica strip to the South where the original foodplot was positioned. Was planning on drilling WSG’s into the majority of the newly opened space but running out of time and dealing with drought conditions... going to end up drilling Rye/Wheat in separate strips along with clovers. Come On Rain!!!! 🌧
Sky Cloud Plant Tree People in nature
Sky Plant Cloud Plant community Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Land lot Grass
Plant Groundcover Grass Leaf vegetable Flowering plant

·
Registered
19,950 Posts
WBF i thought you said a few years ago you had mostly rocky ground ? ,,,That looks awesome
A lot of these areas including this “field” was once cleared/removed of rocks long ago. There’s actually a perimeter of rocks around the edge where rocks were removed by hand and piled. Also.. a heavy roller can do wonders...

·
BDR529
12,450 Posts
I like this progress. Deer hunting enthusiasts always ask about how about the deer that like to hide out in the snowy days etc., but the restoration back to a more native landscape is not only about a deer on a cold day. The benefits are realized always, starting with the insects and working up the food chain from there.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts